I don't get the complaints about using Jerry Goldsmith's theme

Started by Scorpio, Feb 13, 2018, 11:09:38 AM

Author
I don't get the complaints about using Jerry Goldsmith's theme (Read 4,861 times)

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 15, 2018, 11:50:26 AM
The point is that Long Tall Sally is not just part of the soundtrack, it's part of the script of Predator.
Not in any draft I've read.

Scorpio

Then it must be a revised script.

SiL

Or it was a decision made during production. It wasn't inherent in the plot.

Scorpio

Not really important if it was inherent to the plot.  It may not be in the shooting script, just made up on that particular day.  It's still part of that film, in spoken dialogue, and visibly playing on a stereo.

SiL

Your point was it's in the script, even though it isn't.

You can admit to being wrong every now and then.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Feb 15, 2018, 01:05:18 PM
You can admit to being wrong every now and then.

He can?  When did this happen?  Link or I call bullshit.

SiL

It's in the rules somewhere.

Local Trouble

I was hoping for an example or a precedent of him doing so.

Scorpio

If I'm wrong I'll happily admit it.  I've admitted being wrong before as well.  The real question is, can you admit when you're wrong?

Quote from: SiL on Feb 15, 2018, 01:05:18 PM
Your point was it's in the script, even though it isn't.

What script are you talking about?  You know that the script goes through many stages, including improvising on set.  Even director's notes become part of the script sometimes.  In other words, there are many versions of the script until it reaches the final product.  Just because you read some drafts, and didn't see anything, doesn't mean that no version of the script ever contained it.  The proof is in the film, I don't know why this is even a debate.  If it's onscreen, then it was in the script, added at some stage.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 13, 2018, 11:34:06 AM
If it was in Aliens and Resurrection it wasn't noticeable enough to stick out to me. It was for Covenant. But I'm actually cool with its use now. I still hate David playing the Prometheus music though.

I think I like it, understanding that David has called it a "Tribute to my dearest Elizabeth", or so I remember. It was something like that. It brings in a bunch of new context to the previous film that the motif used is a tribute to the protagonist used by her killer/the antagonist.It makes hearing that motif eerie.

I could see where Scott was going with this. And that's the thing, for a lot of these neat tricks, I can always say, "I can see where Scott was going with this". They may not however, have the pay off everyone was expecting or wanted.

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 15, 2018, 01:32:16 PM
  If it's onscreen, then it was in the script, added at some stage.
Yeah, except all the times stuff ends up on screen that was never written or intended. 

reecebomb

reecebomb

It made me very confused, like why is Alien soundtrack used all over this poor Alien knock off, then the sad reality sinked in.

SM

Alien music in an Alien film.  Shocking.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SiL on Feb 15, 2018, 10:38:24 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 15, 2018, 01:32:16 PM
  If it's onscreen, then it was in the script, added at some stage.
Yeah, except all the times stuff ends up on screen that was never written or intended.

Even the final shooting script sometimes is missing dialogue or action scenes that we see on screen. As my hobby site centers on enhanced script presentations, I have come across this several times.

Huggs

I personally thought the music was one of the only things Covenant did well. Granted, I'm referring to the throwbacks used while everyone is still onboard the covenant. If I close my eyes while listening to that stuff, it really seems like an Alien movie is playing. Of course, if I open them at all during the movie it kind of ruins the experience. The medbay/back burster scene was the only good non-alien music I can recall. All in all, I think it was tastefully done. There are just some films where the classic themes and music are always a solid option. Like Bond, The Thing, or the Jurassic movies. What Mr. Goldsmith created was very special, and those tunes and his style belong in every Alien movie. Just look at how well it worked for isolation.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed