Would you like to see a Queen in Scott's sequel?

Started by Berend, Nov 14, 2017, 07:31:13 PM

Author
Would you like to see a Queen in Scott's sequel? (Read 13,617 times)

Highland

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Nov 21, 2017, 10:50:52 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Nov 21, 2017, 08:28:22 PM
I also don't understand why they had an inexperienced commander lead the team on a mission that would potentially entail fighting against dangerous aliens.

Speculation here, but it's possible that's the best Burke could come up with for his secret unauthorized mission. Not a stretch to imagine he did try to recruit a more experienced leader but they all turned him down for whatever reasons (already committed to other missions, their integrity draws the line on unauthorized missions, previous bad experience with Burke, etc.)

Or he deliberately chose a bad commander he could manipulate.

It's pretty clear that Cameron through use of the story and dialog wants the Marines to expect that this is a walk in the park and that the company don't believe Ripley anyway. Hence why they send in the chump and not their best man.

I mean some people see a plot hole there for some reason, but it's clearly the point of the situation.

SM

Conflict = drama.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Highland on Nov 22, 2017, 12:52:58 AM
Or he deliberately chose a bad commander he could manipulate.
Certainly another possibility.

A gamble for Burke either way. Pick an experienced leader, but less cooperative to manipulation. Burke faces the risk that leader going against Burke's agenda...Or pick a compliant leader from the batch of inexperienced commanders, but risks the mission failing from incompetence.

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Nov 21, 2017, 08:28:22 PM
Quote from: Munkeywrench on Nov 21, 2017, 03:05:01 AM
Quote from: Highland on Nov 21, 2017, 02:42:37 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 21, 2017, 01:07:18 AM
Ok, but why do some fans want the aliens to be simple space bugs for jacked up marines to shoot and yell "Let's Rock!!!!".  :)

Has been in countless video games, comic books and movies. 

I'm going to explain this situation for all you guys that think thats what those guys want. Its not the guns. It's not the Queen. It's not the Marines.

It's because it's a good movie. That's it.

People like Aliens, because it's good.

**slams book closed.

Well said!

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 21, 2017, 01:07:18 AM
some fans want the aliens to be simple space bugs

They were never "simple space bugs" at least not in the films(not counting AvP:R)
You've got to admit there's a pretty big difference between how they die in Aliens vs how shots ricochet off their skin in Covenant.
Yes, Aliens is a good movie, but it has some pretty bad parts. The whole Newt thing feels so hamfisted. Now Ripley is le mummy so that the soccer moms in the audience can identify with a character in the movie. Also, what's the deal with Burke randomly betraying everybody and getting killed right after. Did he think he could survive alone?
I also don't understand why they had an inexperienced commander lead the team on a mission that would potentially entail fighting against dangerous aliens.

Burke doesn't randomly betray them either. Before the lights cut the last thing hicks says is "we waste him". He's in full get the hell out mode.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 21, 2017, 10:25:04 PM
QuoteYou've got to admit there's a pretty big difference between how they die in Aliens vs how shots ricochet off their skin in Covenant.

You see blood spray when Danny hits it under the lifter.  When do they ricochet?
You do see shots ricochet!

.. in Aliens, when they use pistols.

Jonesy1974

The inexperienced commander, Burke betraying them etc is all by the numbers, simplistic story telling designed to create drama but Cameron makes it work and that's all that matters really.

The whole space bug thing used to bother me because I felt it diminished the impact of the original creature. It was a little disheartening for me to see the Alien bowing down to a bigger, badder version and find it was just a foot soldier. I got over it though.

I much prefer Alien but Aliens is a great movie too.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Nov 22, 2017, 07:39:20 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 21, 2017, 10:25:04 PM
QuoteYou've got to admit there's a pretty big difference between how they die in Aliens vs how shots ricochet off their skin in Covenant.

You see blood spray when Danny hits it under the lifter.  When do they ricochet?
You do see shots ricochet!

.. in Aliens, when they use pistols.

Booyah.

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 22, 2017, 08:57:41 AM
The inexperienced commander, Burke betraying them etc is all by the numbers, simplistic story telling designed to create drama but Cameron makes it work and that's all that matters really.

I wouldn't say simplistic. It has a ring of authenticity to it, particularly with regards to Gorman.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 22, 2017, 10:26:09 AM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 22, 2017, 08:57:41 AM

I wouldn't say simplistic. It has a ring of authenticity to it, particularly with regards to Gorman.

I just mean its a pretty tired movie trope to have an inexperienced guy in charge of the mission and the guy in the suit being nefarious.

Cameron makes it work though. These are the sort of story beats that can quite easily make you roll your eyes and they don't in the case of Aliens.

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 22, 2017, 10:47:02 AM
I just mean its a pretty tired movie trope to have an inexperienced guy in charge of the mission and the guy in the suit being nefarious.

He's a lieutenant. He's supposed to be inexperienced.

Paranoid Android

Who, if not your inexperienced officer, do you send to deal with a communication loss on a terraforming colony in the middle of nowhere?

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 22, 2017, 10:51:50 AM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 22, 2017, 10:47:02 AM

He's a lieutenant. He's supposed to be inexperienced.

Why would being a lieutenant mean he has little to no combat drop experience?

Highland

I think Cameron sets things up really well though. It's not like Gorman suddenly just changes character, you've been given little nuggets previously and when the plot point hits it all makes sense, it fits. Even his ending has a nice finish.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Highland on Nov 22, 2017, 11:14:15 AM
I think Cameron sets things up really well though. It's not like Gorman suddenly just changes character, you've been given little nuggets previously and when the plot point hits it all makes sense, it fits. Even his ending has a nice finish.

Yes he does. Cameron makes tired old cliches feel fresh. He used to anyway.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 22, 2017, 11:13:11 AM
Why would being a lieutenant mean he has little to no combat drop experience?
Because Lieutenant is the lowest officer rank.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed