Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment?

Started by motherfather, Oct 31, 2017, 09:36:07 AM

Author
Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment? (Read 17,353 times)

Scorpio

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 27, 2017, 08:54:08 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 24, 2017, 06:09:13 AM
Haters of Covenant will never understand.  If the movie was the fan fiction they had in their heads, they still would probably hate it.  They hate anything that isn't Aliens.

https://m.popkey.co/aa9afb/v0065_s-200x150.gif

You're wrong every time you try to claim something like this. Just because someone doesn't like Covenant, doesn't equate to it being because they like Aliens.

I like Aliens too, but I don't consider it the yardstick by which all other Alien movies must be measured.  That's the impression.

Corporal Hicks

Not everyone does. Obviously. And to just assume and brush off concerns as that being the only reason why is daft.

Scorpio

It's a matter of perspective.

SiL

It's really not. It's asinine.

Killveous

I ADORE the soundtrack and what they were trying to do. Honestly it was amazing and very well lit and framed. Fassbender was great.

But the... lack of an actual chestbuster and instead the tiny little Xenomorph was very off putting. It didn't feel scary at all. It looked like something I could run up to and kick clean into the wall like a tiny little monkey. Kicking a chestbuster is really hard as it is long and snakey and slithers away into little places to hide (while screaming bloody murder), but a tiny little thing with easy to snap legs and arms? I duno. It was more cute than horror.

I wonder if David picked it up at all and put it in his pocket. : )

As for the chestbuster belly scenes in AVP:R that were mentioned earlier; actually was something pretty creepy. It was hugely Edgy because 'Oh they ate the babies' but still less of a 'wut' scene than My Little Xenomorph.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I thought how the chestburster/little Xeno differs from the original was just a refinement. I quite liked how it still busted out in its worm form but unfolded its limbs once born; it was neat.
Quote from: Killveous on Nov 28, 2017, 09:27:44 PM
It was more cute than horror.

I wonder if David picked it up at all and put it in his pocket. : )

That would've gone down well with fans. :laugh: While I agree the original film is far more horrific with its gore and brutality, I think the implications from the Covenant birth are far darker. But the approach to each chestbursting scene is different. While the original is horrifying, seen from the eyes of a bunch of space truckers that don't know what the f*** is happening. In Covenant, it's from the perspective of David, who has just become father to his long-awaited pinnacle experiment, which is a more "beautiful" depiction.

Killveous

Made this for all the people in this thread who don't like this scene : D

SM

I wanna see the baby Alien fly away on his wooden spoon!

Scorpio

Quote from: SiL on Nov 28, 2017, 09:02:18 PM
It's really not. It's asinine.

Here's the problem:

They do something different - fans hate it.

They repeat what was done before - fans hate it.

There's a chestburster scene in every Alien movie.  The question is does it fit with the tone of the movie. 

GreybackElder

Quote from: Stitch on Nov 18, 2017, 11:59:12 AM
What they tried to do and what they actually achieved are two totally different things.

They tried to make it beautiful, ethereal and unnerving.

They succeeded in making it goofy and completely unthreatening.

I think the chestbursting scene in Spaceballs was more effective.
Now the chest bursting scene in spaceballs is one on my all time favorite. I love how John Hurt was like: yeah what the hell I'll do it again. It was great! I understood what Ridley was going for but I didn't care for it.

Highland

The chest busting scene didn't make or break the movie. Although that is about the point where it nose dives hard for a lot of people.

BlackMatter169

By the time that bit came up I was trying to sever my carotid artery with my popcorn bag. In hindsight it wasn't a truly offensive scene, I figured it was hinting at the idea that David could actually control the xenos. But nothing came of it.

Like everything else in this movie, if the movie had actually worked to develop things further the scene would've been rather epic. I mean, this was supposed to be the culmination of David's efforts, to create the perfect organism in his eyes, and it could've been an epic re-entrance for the alien. As it stands, it's just a silly scene where David gets cute with a baby alien. Certainly not the worst part of the whole movie (coughcoughbackbursterscenecough).

Alionic

The backburster scene is the best "chestburster" moment in the series since the 1979 movie, yet you people are so focused on David holding his hands up to Oram's son.

Shameful.

Perfect-Organism

The music is great.  It has a majestic air about it and the way it contrasts against the horror is brilliant.  But the fact that the baby Alien has developed hands drives me bananas.  James Cameron's chest urster didn't have arms like that, and Aliens is a part of the good canon so why mess with that?  And then of course the hand raising...

What to say?  It could be interpreted different ways.  Maybe the Alien is responding to an android in a different way than it would to a human?  Maybe David added some specific program sequence to the alien's design which makes it respond to androids or to him specifically?

Scorpio

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 29, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
James Cameron's chest urster didn't have arms like that, and Aliens is a part of the good canon so why mess with that? 

I don't know, maybe because the film in question isn't Aliens and James Cameron had nothing to do with it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed