Everything GREAT About Alien: Covenant!

Started by Nukiemorph, Sep 13, 2017, 09:13:01 AM

Author
Everything GREAT About Alien: Covenant! (Read 10,502 times)

Scorpio

When did I say that David is the first rogue AI in cinema?

I said there's no character in cinema like David.  Character.  All in how it is played.  Not whether it's a rogue AI or not.

Sure, there's shades of HAL-9000, but also T.E. Lawrence. 

You may as well say that all robots are the same.

Paranoid Android

If your argument is that there's no character in cinema like David because of how it is played, rather than the character's traits, then there's no character in cinema like any character in cinema, making your point moot. All characters are played differently. Even those who are designed to perfectly imitate others.

Scorpio

It's not just if they're different but how different and if it's effective and interesting.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 16, 2017, 10:20:12 AM
When did I say that David is the first rogue AI in cinema?

I said there's no character in cinema like David.  Character.  All in how it is played.  Not whether it's a rogue AI or not.

Sure, there's shades of HAL-9000, but also T.E. Lawrence. 

You may as well say that all robots are the same.

I agree. David is unique as a character for me and that's what counts. Saying he's the same just because it's AI is like saying all human characters are the same just because they are human. It's the portrayal that's important.

BishopShouldGo

The movie contains the most breathtaking shots ever in a film that has the xenomorph with Alien in the title, which is what I've always wanted.

Grimy!
Grimyyy!
Grimy 3!!!
Grimy Resurrection!
More Grimy!!
More Grimy:R!!!

Ridley Scott to direct Alien Prequel!!

Woo hoo this means we're going to get Beautiful and not Grimy!!!

Ridley Scott morphs it into Original Movie!!!

Awww man we've got tons of Beautiful Originals yet my poor Alien franchise has yet to have something Non Grimy!!!

Alien Covenant gets released

Oh jesus f**king christ FINALLY NO GRIMY FOR AN ALIEN FILM!!!! Still somewhat grimy sometimes and not as sleek as Prometheus but f**k I will TAKE IT!! 10/10 Ridley and Dariusz thank you for your solar panels, your Engineer bombings, and your Weyland Dream, and various other breathtaking shots.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Sep 16, 2017, 10:12:37 AM
Skynet is the main antagonist of the Terminator franchise. So what if it has no personality? Neither does Brett.

You want more examples of rogue AI in films?
The Machines in The Matrix; The Cylons in Battlestar Galactica; HAL9000 in 2001 A Space Odyssy; VIKI from I, Robot

HuDaFuK

I thought most of the first half of the film was good. The Neomorph birth sequence in particular was incredibly intense.

Sadly after that the film kinda nosedived.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 19, 2017, 10:23:19 AM
I thought most of the first half of the film was good. The Neomorph birth sequence in particular was incredibly intense.
None of it seemed intense. I'm not sure movies are capable of delivering intensity any more, but Covenant felt very by the numbers.

426Buddy

I thought the neomorph birth scene was very intense.

HuDaFuK

It was. My heart was pumping during that sequence.

Sadly it was by far the best part of the movie, but still, it was probably the most intense an Alien film has been since Aliens.

Evanus

Yup, that scene was intense.

XenoHunter99

Really?  ::) OK. Probably me, then. Carry on.

Highland

Imagine how intense it would have been if we didn't already know what was going to happen....

Should never have been in the trailer.

Scorpio

You probably read all the spoilers before going in anyway.

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 21, 2017, 11:58:38 PM
You probably read all the spoilers before going in anyway.

Look at my post history. I specifically stayed off the site as to not spoil anything, in fact I'd not been floating around here for a few years. The only slight suggestion I had pre-movie was that David was possibly responsible for the alien when I read a comment on a trailer.

Both trailers ruined their climactic moments. The SJ chair and the burst.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed