[SPOILERS] David: Creator...or RE-creator?

Started by EJA, May 12, 2017, 01:39:35 PM

Creator or re-creator?

Creator (Aliens don't exist before David makes them on Paradise)
52 (22.3%)
Re-creator (Engineers originally created Aliens long ago, and David is just inspired to make his own)
181 (77.7%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author
[SPOILERS] David: Creator...or RE-creator? (Read 75,321 times)

Predaker

Yes, that's right. The first time ever. It's actually explained in the film, explicitly.

426Buddy

Quote from: Predaker on May 12, 2017, 06:52:16 PM
Yes, that's right. The first time ever. It's actually explained in the film.

Well until I see the film i'll stick with Hicks and Huda's thoughts, they have said otherwise  ;)

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 12, 2017, 10:03:16 AM
Quote from: EJA on May 12, 2017, 08:04:55 AMDavid is the creator of the Aliens; this is an unavoidable fact.

No it isn't. Who's to say he isn't just recreating the Alien based on Engineer files? Nothing in the film really discounts that possibility. It would also explain his assertion that it's the "perfect organism", if that's how the Engineers looked at it.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Predaker on May 12, 2017, 06:59:01 PM
Hicks forgot about one part that he was reminded of later, after he wrote his review.

Really? He just agreed with Huda today on the matter.

Like I said though, when I finally see the film I'll make up my mind for sure.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 10:10:42 AM
It's not displayed in any definitive matter yet but Scott said in an interview that it was his intention that David being the creator of the Aliens. That could obviously change between the next film but it's out there.

Predaker

Covenant doesn't just say, "Hey look, here are some aliens that David made!" It goes into enough detail about the method and process used that precludes the Alien from ever having existed before.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Predaker on May 12, 2017, 07:05:48 PM
Covenant doesn't just say, "Hey look, here are some aliens that David made!" It goes into enough detail about the method and process used that precludes the Alien from ever having existed before.

I know it shows how he did it  ::)  but apparently it doesn't say no one else cooked up the same thing before, hell he could have found some text that could have given him the idea to do it. It's not like the engineers didn't have all the ingredients to make it.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 12, 2017, 03:50:01 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 03:25:11 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 12, 2017, 03:20:56 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:52:24 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 12, 2017, 02:51:38 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2017, 01:54:46 PM
I prefer to think David just found an engineer recipe to create the alien using the black goo.

This.

David should never have been the one to "create" the alien as we know it.

But...  why not?

Because it's stupid. It de-mystifies the Alien as a creature (the universe as a whole really), makes the Alien universe as a whole feel "smaller", and makes the event's of the movies set after it feel a little too convenient.
The fact it was made by David also makes it "impure" to me if we go by Ash's words.

The Alien isn't something that should have anything to do with humanity (or androids). It should be something feared, something dangerous, something not really explainable or engineered (so directly). In my perfect backstory for the aliens the engineers didn't even make them, they were found, studied, and deemed too dangerous and then they tried to destroy them and failed (hence the crashed ship in Alien). This isn't how things are though;  if anyone has to engineer the Alien as we know it I'd rather it be the engineers, either by mistake or on purpose.

I mean the reality is they aren't all that dangerous.  the only thing making them dangerous is inexplicably dumb decisions by humans that are only there to advance the plot, or by getting it into relatively large areas to hide in with a small number of unprepared and/or unarmed people.

It is not dangerous in a larger sense of making its way to a planet and killing everything.  It would be dealt with pretty fast.  A bunch of entirely unprepared marines led by a totally inept commander killed dozens.

What are you going to do with that?  You need to end the story after Alien and never really examine it again because there isn't anything to say...  unless you can shift the focus to something else (which is what they did).

So basically you don't want movies. If people were "smart" or put in ideal situations in movies then there would be no plot, especially in sci-fi/horror. The reason Alien and Aliens works is because they can't outright shoot them. To say the xenomorph isn't dangerous is kind of stupid, if you look at how the creatures act in Alien/Aliens you can see that they are intelligent, unless you stop an outbreak from happening before it happens you're going to have a problem on your hands.

If you say you need to end the story after Alien then you don't need to know the story before Alien. While they did shift the focus to something else, they are also making a bad/stupid decision in making David the "father" of the alien.

I have no idea why you don't think I want movies.  There are thousands of amazing movies out there so I don't know where you got that from what I said.

In Aliens they couldn't outshoot them because they lost a majority of their ammo.  If they had it then it would be no contest.  In Alien, they didn't have guns.  But how many times can you see the same exact story?  Oh no people are now trapped in a DIFFERENT ship/building/planet with an alien and don't have guns.

Saying the horror aspect was done at Alien has nothing to do with making another movie before (or after) Alien.  But don't simply tread water making inferior copies of it time and time again.  Aliens took it to an action setting and the horror aspect was largely lost.  That's fine...  Alien 3 rehashed Alien and then everything else was a rehashed Aliens.  They didn't offer anything new.  There is nothing scary about the Alien.  You might as well have people being chased by a very aggressive gorilla. 

I prefer it when someone making a movie does something new.  If they are going to have the Alien in a movie and tell it's backstory that is awesome.  As long as they try to not focus on the Alien itself too much or else it's going to turn into another chase down a hallway of people who are either unarmed or making really bad choices.

Covenant tries something else, even if it has colossally stupid people doing stupid things in it.  At least it establishes David, even above the Alien, as the thing to fear.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Ingwar on May 12, 2017, 06:07:50 PM
I don't like that but Scott said David created them. Period.

Created these (different-looking) ones, sure - from modifying something. We don't know just how small or extensive those modifications might have been, however.

And with the orgiinal derelict and cargo bay it's attached to, being based on LV-426, there's a steadily smaller window of opportunity for him to have anything to do with that.

Predaker

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2017, 07:07:49 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 12, 2017, 07:05:48 PM

I know it shows how he did it  ::)  but apparently it doesn't say no one else cooked up the same thing before, hell he could have found some text that could have given him the idea to do it.

That's twisting the film into something it is not and requires ignoring what is actually shown/described for no other reason than not liking it.

I understand some people are having a rough time with the origin story but there really is no wiggle room here. The only way David could end up not being the creator is if a sequel retcons Covenant.

Robopadna

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 12, 2017, 07:23:01 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 12, 2017, 06:07:50 PM
I don't like that but Scott said David created them. Period.

Created these (different-looking) ones, sure - from modifying something. We don't know just how small or extensive those modifications might have been, however.

And with the orgiinal derelict and cargo bay it's attached to, being based on LV-426, there's a steadily smaller window of opportunity for him to have anything to do with that.

Semantics aside, Scott clearly meant the Alien everyone knows and every iteration we have seen.  that doesn't mean he can't change his mind but as of now, Scott is very clearly going to find a way to back this directly into the derelict on lv 426 and call it a day.

426Buddy

Makes for some fun discussions anyway.

I honestly can't contribute much, I just have to wait and see for myself.

Adorianu

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 12, 2017, 06:17:57 PM
I feel like the idea of re-creating the xenos is grasping at straws, but I haven't seen the movie yet.

So why you here? one of the reasons movie was not so good for me it was because i knew mostly everything just from reading speculations and fan theories here so everything was soo predictible,you on the other hand are reading pure spoilers.

426Buddy

Quote from: Adorianu on May 12, 2017, 08:43:53 PM
I feel like the idea of re-creating the xenos is grasping at straws, but I haven't seen the movie yet.

So why you here? one of the reasons movie was not so good for me it was because i knew mostly everything just from reading speculations and fan theories here so everything was soo predictible,you on the other hand are reading pure spoilers.

A good film is a good film regardless of being spoiled. I still enjoy watching Alien and I've obviously seen it a million times, I don't like it because I didn't know what the film was when I sat down to watch it the first time. But hey different strokes for different folks.

Adorianu

Adorianu

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2017, 08:46:53 PM
Quote from: Adorianu on May 12, 2017, 08:43:53 PM

A good film is a good film regardless of being spoiled. I still enjoy watching Alien and I've obviously seen it a million times, I don't like it because I didn't know what the film was when I sat down to watch it the first time. But hey different strokes for different folks.

Nah,some movie have "twists" for purpose,to suprise you to shock you,to give you this wow moment,when you already know big thing,then its like "ehh ok".No emotions at all.I really regret i read stuff on this forum thinking well those are just speculations,and that i watched more than 1 trailer and some clips....

And for Alien origin,just like people said,David created them,he saw something,took this something and had fun with it to the point when he was happy.Dont think  someone could recreate the process having at the end same results.So yeah there is no chance that aliens as we know were before.Sadly David created them from some bug like creature,Lame.

Alien³

Until they show that David put the Derelict, along with the eggs, on LV-426 the Alien as we know it has been around for a long time.

MightyViper

Prefacing this comment with: I do not give a fiddler's fart who created the xenomorph. Literally do not care if the creator is David.

That being said, I'm finding it kind of hilarious that people believe David "created" the xenomorph full stop. How could he have? He must have recreated it. There's no other explanation with what we now know. Saying he's some kind of sole originator would be like saying a guy who used a computer to print a piece of paper is Bill Gates. Without the actual creators, the Engineers, there would be no black goo. No creature at the end of Prometheus. No purpose to the black goo. No threat that they were running from, no murals, no biomechanical aspect to everything.

He'd literally have nothing to go on. He stood on the shoulders of giants. He replicated, he didn't create.

In fact, I thought that was one of the cleverer themes of the film. He wants to be an all powerful creator, but he isn't. In the end, he's just like Walter. Mimicking, pretending, trying hard but not really succeeding.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed