Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 288,518 times)

MnTd

MnTd

GREETINGS AVPGALAXY COMMUNITY!!!

Hello! This is my very first post.

I've been a fan of ALIEN since I first saw it as a child, way back on HBO.
I've owned almost every iteration of it from VHS to LASERDISC to DVD to the phenominal BLURAY set,
plus I finally got to see it on a huge IMAX screen last year! 8)
As for my views within the galaxy, I am primarilly an ALIEN fan. I was disappointed when I saw ALIENS in the
theater in 86', I was expecting something like ALIEN and I was let down by the lack of grittiness, lack of
anamorphic photography, lack of superior set design, lack of superior creature design (and omission of Giger)
as well as the film grade and aspect ratio (noteably poor) and general attitude. (Rambo in space vs. what the first film was.)

However, everything since ALIENS has been even worse so I do give it more leeway now, unfortuanantly, this is almost
the case with everything I didn't like in the 70's and 80's - Things got so terrible that what was once no good is now great
in contrast to the cartoon nonsense released today.

ALIEN COVENANT:

My main complaint about the entire film is the CGI. If the rest of the film was not so good, I would have hated it.
As it stands however, I am able to enjoy the movie by viewing it as a new Ridley Scott science fiction film which
primarilly deals with themes of creation but is lacking in terms of an ALIEN film's expected creature designs and execution.

Ridley Scott has been quoted as saying he actually heard us fans when it came to PROMETHEUS and that is why
he decided to put the ALIEN back in the movie. But why make it so half assed? He was even asked why the creatures
were mostly CGI and he said there were things he couldn't do with the limitations of a man in a suit... He talked about
the old ALIEN suit as if it was a thing of shame to be avoided but on this, he missed the mark again because most fans
want practical effects. The alien in Covenant was reduced to basically a Marvel comic book type monster, bouncing off
walls, over animated and unrealistic... The exact things Ridley has complained about before when it comes to CGI!

If there is one thing I would love to happen, I would love for the community to loudly voice that we want practical f/x
in the new ALIEN movie supposedly coming out in 24 months. Ridley listened to the fans when it came to PROMETHEUS.
I would love it if he'd listen to us now and actually make the next ALIEN movie with practical f/x.
The evolution in 3D printing, materials and robotics simply make it inexcuseable to make a monster movie and use CGI,
considering movies like Carpenter's THE THING and even the original ALIEN did it so well without it.
I can't stand the arguement of how else could such and such be done if you don't use CGI?
Well... Don't do it then. Show some restraint! Don't do anything that would require CGI. Use your head and try to figure
out how to do creative things in camera, like a live magic trick. It seems they don't even try anymore, they just cop out
and say oh how else could we do it? But the moment you put a CGI creature in the movie, you loose something tangeable.
I don't need to see creatures running and hopping around in broad daylight, I just need a real scary suit/effect built with
modern robotics and materials that's lit properly and, most importantly, edited properly. So many film makers simply refuse
to do this but I have not seen anyone actually TRY! If it could be done in the 70's and 80's and work, it's ludicris to say it
can't be done in 2017 with all the technical evolution we've made. I just don't understand what's wrong with film makers today.

Other than the fact Covenant fails in the creature department, the other parts are pretty good and I really did enjoy
much of the movie. It was far better than the mess of PROMETHEUS!

Ridley was wrong when he says fans backlashed against PROMETHEUS because it had no creatures...
We backlashed against PROMETHEUS, not because it tried something different... Hell, I personally would have loved
something different yet still Ridley Scott sci-fi! We backlashed because it was stupid. It was paced and edited atrociously.
The acting was awful. The plot was stupid and the reversing of the Space Jockey to be a bio-suit that giant bald people
wear seems like nothing more than laziness over the idea that to render the Jockey how we all actually imagine it to
be would require effects that they'd probably screw up all to Hell because they'd use CGI instead of doing what Scott
himself did in LEGEND with the help of Rob Botin and build an actuall bad ass creature.

Anyone here ever see Henson's Creature Shop tv series? Half the things in that could pass and would be better than
the CGI I see in most of today's big budget films. I kept watching it going "Okay... So they're building these awesome
monsters... Yet all the movies are still using CGI?!? Even though this show is showing how easy it can be done?"

ANYHOW - I'm glad to be here, I've been lurking for years. I hope we have many awesome conversations in the future! 8)

- MnTd

426Buddy

426Buddy

Nice to see the polls panning out in Covenants favor, wouldn't think it by reading the rest of the thread.  Shows how deafening the criticism can be even though it seems most people enjoyed it alot.

szkoki

szkoki

good for them? i guess

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: szkoki on May 20, 2017, 10:59:29 PM
good for them? i guess

Yep, provides some perspective too.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 03:51:45 PM
If it comes out.  Lets see how this movie holds up second week. 
Of course it will, they're going to start filming within 14 months or so. But if you don't want that then you're a f**kING MORON!
[/quote]

If it loses money they won't.  Ridley Scott is a director.  He's not the main money man behind it.  He also changes his mind all the goddamn time so who knows when it actually happens if it happens.

So yeah.  I'd tell you to go f**k yourself but Hicks told us to behave.  Have a nice day.

DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain

Saw it yesterday at 8:15. There were only about half the seats taken. This theatre is also a seat booking theatre. I had the option of being able to look at the fullness of all showings when I ordered.

The only showing that was full was the 7pm showing. It was at 90% or so. The next busy was the one I attended at 50%. As for the other times beginning at 11am and occurring every hour or so, most had around 5 to 10 seats taken only.

There was no local community event happening, no local college sporting event happening, and no major concerts happening. There was nothing to siphon away theatre viewers. Amittedly this is anecdotal, but I think this may be a sign of overall audience interest. I think it may be very low.

Is it franchise fatigue? Is it Alien burnout? Is it reaction to Prometheus? I honestly don't know. This theatre tends to cater to geeks and like and they were noticeably absent. Something to think about. 

As for the film...

It's okay. It's good but not great. It didn't anger me. It didn't make me super excited about seeing it again.

It certainly benefits from The Martian being made between Prometheus and this film. I think that project may have been a much needed pallet cleanser.

I took my 20 year old daughters with me and that are casual fans of the Alien films. They hated this movie. They thought is was pretty bad in several places. Make of that what you will.

Normally I'd write about the film in more detail. But, others have already done it. And...I really just can't get excited to post on it either way. That's kind of a bummer in and of itself.

Snake

Snake

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 08:52:01 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 20, 2017, 08:28:11 PM
- I really, really HATED the crane barge/rig action sequence. It was so unnecessary and stupid and so out of character. It felt like the Matrix and all of a sudden they were all action heroes not scared of anything, not even the Alien. It's more ridiculous than the end fight in ALIENS. That scene in A:C really threw me off and I had a hard time to get back into the movie after that.
- The bombardment scene was completely unnecessary and should have been left out. It would left some mystery left in the movie not knowing what exactly happening to them.

Yeah, good point. One of the reasons that action scene didn't hit the mark was because all of the sudden Daniels became a gung-ho action heroine with no development towards that. It felt forced and out of place.

And that flashback came out of nowhere, very jarring.

Did IQ's just drop while I was away? The crane resembled a giant mouth. The alien saw it as a threat and even though the crane was much bigger, it attacked it nonetheless. Just goes to show how fearless the thing really is.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 11:14:54 PM
- I really, really HATED the crane barge/rig action sequence. It was so unnecessary and stupid and so out of character. It felt like the Matrix and all of a sudden they were all action heroes not scared of anything, not even the Alien. It's more ridiculous than the end fight in ALIENS. That scene in A:C really threw me off and I had a hard time to get back into the movie after that.
- The bombardment scene was completely unnecessary and should have been left out. It would left some mystery left in the movie not knowing what exactly happening to them.

Yeah, good point. One of the reasons that action scene didn't hit the mark was because all of the sudden Daniels became a gung-ho action heroine with no development towards that. It felt forced and out of place.

Did IQ's just drop while I was away? The crane resembled a giant mouth. The alien saw it as a threat and even though the crane was much bigger, it attacked it nonetheless. Just goes to show how fearless the thing really is.
Or how unintelligent it is... what ever happened to "they cut the power?"

salomonj

salomonj

This forum is a war zone lol

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: salomonj on May 20, 2017, 11:45:56 PM

It's a 10 out of 10 on the at each others throats scale.  Way more over the top than the relatively calm Prometheus debates.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: salomonj on May 20, 2017, 11:45:56 PM
Yea it's kind of gone down hill... I'm not even reading most of it. Just skimming and biting my tongue about 90% of the time. The name-calling is getting a bit over the top...

cucuchu

cucuchu

Just saw it a second time... Even better this time around and my wife liked it a lot too. Theatre was about 3/4 full at the 3pm showing and good reactions from the crowd.

Easily will give it a 8.5 out of 10. Maybe higher in retrospect after the next film if it goes in the direction I hope and we get some more menacing Xeno's. They were not bad here but seemed dispatched a little too easily.

Perfect-Organism

The latest in the sci-fi series took in $15.5 million on Friday, nearly doubling and beating out the Guardians $8.8 million.

http://movieweb.com/alien-covenant-box-office-opening-day-franchise-record/

Snake

Snake

Quote from: Engineer on May 20, 2017, 11:30:04 PM
Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 11:14:54 PM

Or how unintelligent it is... what ever happened to "they cut the power?"

Can we even be sure it was them that cut the power? They didn't see them do it and Hudson's statement ' How can they cut the power, they're animals, man!' is a valid question even though he's just a grunt. No offense Hudson ;)

For all we know, it might have been due to the electrical storms...

That Yellow Alien

It's a movie, when characters state things they do so for a reason. When Ripley says they cut the power, it's not to lead the audience falsely. You're stretching.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed