In Light of The Prequel Novel

Started by overthere, Aug 06, 2016, 12:56:08 PM

Author
In Light of The Prequel Novel (Read 1,981 times)

overthere

overthere

As much as I don't like the idea, let's work with it.

The title "The Predator" is confirmed to make sense, and in light of this prequel this can make sense like this:

The "good" Predator is trying to stop the rogue one. In the original movie, when Dutch makes his battle call, we see a Predator cleaning a skull he's making for trophy. He hears Dutch and gets ready to fight. There's a scene where he's jumping from branch to branch hurrying to the location.

But all of a sudden we see him cloaked behind Dutch. This can make sense if this is not the Predator we saw moving quickly through the trees. This was the good Predator looking for the rogue one. He's investigating the area when he gets attacked. Of course he assumes this is the rogue Predator attacking him so he starts wreaking havoc everywhere. He can't see him just like he wouldn't see a cloaked Predator. After a while of fighting, he finally sees it wasn't Predator but Dutch. That scene where he examines Dutch's head makes sense in this, cause he can't believe his eyes it's not a fellow Predator but a human being.

Now I don't know how far the title "good" Predator gets him, cause he wants to kill Dutch. Either because he was injured by him and pissed him off or because he just can't resist it. Dutch kills this Predator (but why is he laughing like Billy?) but the real rogue Predator is still out there.

And the rogue Predator that killed everyone else in the movie is still out there, hence The Predator.

The 2018. movie could literally start with The Predator destroying the chopper, killing Dutch in it.

But the whole premise makes no sense. Why does the good Predator have the same trophies the rogue one has? Why is he laughing like Billy?

The premise of the novel says the good one stopped the rogue one (I assume he killed him), but that makes even less sense.

I don't like this idea and it's maybe a fun "what if" scenario for fun, but it seems like they're making this official and The Predator will probably follow it then. I hope it doesn't. I hope they scrap the whole idea because this is ruining the original movie. You'll never be able to look at it from the same perspective again. You won't feel the satisfaction of Dutch finally getting rid of the Predator after he killed his whole team.

Don't ruin the greatest movie of all time.

Xan21

Xan21

It really ruins the Original this way... my my, can't believe this is actually happening. Crazy twilight zone stuff. I will ignore it completely.

The jumping from branch to branch is just a little edit error since it is still light and the rest of the scene takes place at night.

overthere

overthere

Yea, I thought at least if the sequel sucks we'll always have the original. But this will change the whole perception. I guess we can always choose to ignore it.

But even from the basic storytelling point of view this is so unnecessary. Replacing one character off screen with another who's virtually identical for all we care adds nothing to anything. Use Occam's razor.

But all this can be ignored if the actual movie sequel ignores it too. As long as the movie doesn't acknowledge it, we're good.

Johnny Handsome

Biggest Bullshit i heard in a long time.... also, the prequel novel has nothing to do with the new Shane Black movie.

EJA

EJA

They can't kill Dutch right at the point the original ended, as we know he survived long enough to report what happened, as did Anna.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: EJA on Aug 06, 2016, 03:46:56 PM
They can't kill Dutch right at the point the original ended, as we know he survived long enough to report what happened, as did Anna.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 06, 2016, 03:16:14 PM
Biggest Bullshit i heard in a long time.... also, the prequel novel has nothing to do with the new Shane Black movie.

I hope.

EJA

EJA

If the Pred that kills Hawkins and Blaine is the bad blood, why does it spare Anna?

Johnny Handsome

The frontpage got it wrong, its a prequel to the Original Movie and not the Shane Black one. The writer even said that Fox didnt want them to do anyting The Predator related on twitter.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 06, 2016, 05:04:28 PM
The frontpage got it wrong, its a prequel to the Original Movie and not the Shane Black one. The writer even said that Fox didnt want them to do anyting The Predator related on twitter.

You are completely right. The Catalist lists it as being a prequel to Predator, not The Predator. I shall get that updated. Still a terrible concept though.

Mister Skeezler

I can't imagine why Predator would need a prequel, unless it was about Hopper's team. Though from the way Billy described it, it doesn't sound like it was an epic fight.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 06, 2016, 05:04:28 PM

I know it's a prequel to the original movie, but there's a possibility Shane could acknowledge it, or maybe they're doing the prequel to the original to tie in the sequel better. I hope this just stays in the books.

Xan21

Xan21

It shouldn't even be in a book, ridiculous!

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

...Kind of comforting to know that while my displeasure of this novel synopsis is somewhat shared by others.

The Alien Predator

I'm just gonna wait and see, this novel might turn out much better than the synopsis makes it sound.

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 06, 2016, 03:16:14 PM
the prequel novel has nothing to do with the new Shane Black movie.

Thankfully.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed