Humans awareness of extraterrestrials in the Alien Series

Started by T Dog, Jul 04, 2016, 01:00:22 PM

Author
Humans awareness of extraterrestrials in the Alien Series (Read 14,303 times)

T Dog

Sorry the thread title is a mouthful.

I've always been intrigued in how much humans in the Alien Series are aware of the existence of extraterrestrials.

In the original movie they seem to discuss such things without batting an eyelid, as if it is established that species of non terrestrial life-forms have already been found in outer space.

The first instance is when they question if the beacon is "extraterrestrial in origin?".

Also when they first find the space jockey there is a sense of awe but they aren't like "holy shit giant dead alien". It seems like it is the norm almost to encounter various species when out in space.

What do you guys think? It's an aspect of the movies I've always wanted to see expanded upon with some sort of definitive history.

Elmazalman

The actor Harry Dean Stanton was interviewed not long after the film's release,and asked to explain the logic behind Brett wandering off on his own to search for the cat.He explained that other crews may have discovered weird things before,so alien life wasn't that uncommon-nothing as dangerous as this particular organism though.

Valaquen

It's never clearly explained in the films but I think mankind has stumbled across microbial or small animal alien life, but nothing as exciting as another intelligence.

Corporal Hicks

I think the original script had them saying it would be first contact. I think if there has been some contact (and I feel like there has been some), it's still slightly rare. Enough so that its in folk's contract that they have to check out signs of E-T life.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 04, 2016, 01:55:34 PM
It's never clearly explained in the films but I think mankind has stumbled across microbial or small animal alien life, but nothing as exciting as another intelligence.

I wonder if the company expected the alien to be a sapient being capable of utilizing technology.  If not, you'd think the derelict would have been more valuable to them than a specimen.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 04, 2016, 03:49:44 PM

I wonder if the company expected the alien to be a sapient being capable of utilizing technology.  If not, you'd think the derelict would have been more valuable to them than a specimen.

That's what has always puzzled me. The Company always seemed hell-bent on obtaining the organism while totally ignoring the potentially far more advanced technology contained in the derelict, which could have resulted in a major turning-point for humanity.

Maybe Ash was supposed to bring back the "organism" that originally made the transmission? The Space Jockey, not the Xenomorph? He never even saw the Jockey because of the communications break-up.

Valaquen

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 04, 2016, 03:49:44 PM

According to Ridley etc, they didn't know what was at the end of the signal. They just expected some bounty or technology that would put them leaps ahead of their competitors. It's Ripley's return 57 years later that brings news of the Alien, but she's not believed until the Marines are whacked at LV426.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

And even then Burke doesn't appear interested in the derelict. He just want's to bring back Xenomorph specimens no matter what the cost.

Valaquen

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 04, 2016, 09:48:50 PM
And even then Burke doesn't appear interested in the derelict. He just want's to bring back Xenomorph specimens no matter what the cost.

And the Alien's existence was only confirmed to him when he got there. He was hoping to make a buck on what others dismissed as a fantasy or concotion of Ripley's.

426Buddy

Its all about that pesky bioweapons division, they want organic weapons not spaceships.

Valaquen

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 05, 2016, 12:27:04 AM
Its all about that pesky bioweapons division, they want organic weapons not spaceships.

Ironically they'd have more control over the former.

Corporal Hicks

I always found that odd myself. Yeah, the Alien is cool but there's a massive alien spaceship unlike any Earth technology that (probably) wont be trying to kill you while you exploit it!

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 05, 2016, 12:44:41 PM
I always found that odd myself. Yeah, the Alien is cool but there's a massive alien spaceship unlike any Earth technology that (probably) wont be trying to kill you while you exploit it!

That is a good point!

This is why I loved the first Marine level in AvP 1999. It has a facility built inside the Derelict, at least showing they were finally studying it. XD

Xenomania

Quote from: tmjhur on Jul 04, 2016, 01:00:22 PMIn the original movie they seem to discuss such things without batting an eyelid, as if it is established that species of non terrestrial life-forms have already been found in outer space.

The first instance is when they question if the beacon is "extraterrestrial in origin?".

Also when they first find the space jockey there is a sense of awe but they aren't like "holy shit giant dead alien". It seems like it is the norm almost to encounter various species when out in space.
Kane was certainly very eager to explore the Derelict. And you have to remember that most of the crew of the Nostromo was "working class" on a long haul trip who are more interested in getting by and making a living instead of participating in scientific exploration.

In any case, there's always the Arcturians baby.  ;)

Primordial

The Derelict would certainly have been exploited if it hadn't been destroyed. But first things first, alien life has priority over alien technology  :P

'Alien3' sadly dismiss what Ridley and co. stated about the company not knowing exactly what the transmission was about :
'' When they first heard about this thing, it was 'crew expandable' ''. So unless somebody has a good explanation about Ripley being wrong, shouldn't we stick to that ?

For what it is worth, one of 'Prometheus' deleted scene with Millburn indicates that in 2093, the first lifeform larger than bacteria has been found.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed