Any news on Noomi Rapace?

Started by x-M-x, Dec 18, 2015, 06:56:41 PM

Author
Any news on Noomi Rapace? (Read 47,951 times)

x-M-x

x-M-x

She confirmed or what ?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Just this:

QuoteScott also confirms that Noomi Rapace's Shaw will be in Alien: Covenant, albeit briefly: "Other casting hasn't been confirmed, although Scott did say that Prometheus 1 star Noomi Rapace will only appear briefly in Covenant."

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/11/27/alien-covenant-shooting-march-new-trilogy-further-details/

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2015, 08:19:48 PM
Just this:

QuoteScott also confirms that Noomi Rapace's Shaw will be in Alien: Covenant, albeit briefly: "Other casting hasn't been confirmed, although Scott did say that Prometheus 1 star Noomi Rapace will only appear briefly in Covenant."

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/11/27/alien-covenant-shooting-march-new-trilogy-further-details/

briefly.... maybe she dies?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh god, sounds like flashback territory.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 19, 2015, 12:34:54 PM
Oh god, sounds like flashback territory.

Hopefully another one of those visually amazing dream sequences from the first film. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Infected

Infected

Well if you wanna let the audience feel some terror or other scary things,
they will show Shaw in a brutal or sick death caused by David,
lets face it seeing Shaw being picked or ripped apart by a devious trick by David involving or a xeno or himself makes me awkward and will leave an impression on me even as i type this.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well, you never know, she might appear only in the last five minutes

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm of the opinion that her appearance will either be a hand-wave to get rid of her or part of a bigger mystery that the plot revolves around.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I hope she's not simply being thrown out. Ditching one Ripley-esque female lead for another just because the previous movie didn't go down so well seems pointless and unconstructive. So I hope there's more thought and meaning behind her absence than that.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 21, 2015, 08:29:32 AM
I'm of the opinion that her appearance will either be a hand-wave to get rid of her or part of a bigger mystery that the plot revolves around.

My guess is a scene at the beginning or a flashback where she realizes that Paradise isn't where she's going to find her answers, so she leaves on the Juggernaut but leaves David behind. That would set it up for her to be the lead in the third film, by which point I imagine we'll be done with the Engineers and will have moved on whatever eldritch beings made them.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

If they take her out like Newt back in Alien 3 that will be a huge disappointment.  Seriously, people who are casual observers of the series will be going to see what Shaw discovers on the homeworld.  If she dies in the opening credits, (while it may be a good movie like Alien 3) the press will pan the film.  It will have the same reception as Alien 3...

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Infected on Dec 20, 2015, 02:44:29 PM
Well if you wanna let the audience feel some terror or other scary things,
they will show Shaw in a brutal or sick death caused by David,
lets face it seeing Shaw being picked or ripped apart by a devious trick by David involving or a xeno or himself makes me awkward and will leave an impression on me even as i type this.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.  Ever since Prometheus first came out, I've thought about what direction a sequel will take and it really does seem that Lindelof left the current writers in the lurch.  They're backed into a corner, what with the ending to the first film.  There's a very limited number of directions that any writer could reasonably take a sequel to Prometheus in (and even fewer sensible directions).  I figured that they couldn't possibly have the sequel continue directly where Prometheus left off because you can't have a single woman and a robotic head searching an alien planet.  You need more human characters.

Therefore, I realised that the writers would need to start the sequel with a new ship and crew that's traveling to the Engineer's planet (unless they went down the route of having other humans already on the planet... which is one of those non-sensible directions I mentioned).  Which, as has now been revealed, is exactly what they're doing.  Like I said, they wrote themselves into a corner.  It's pretty much the only thing that you could do with a sequel.  I've been thinking since 2012, that at around the middle-to-last act of the film, this new crew will come across Shaw and our original David.

As "Infected" also said, I've long held the belief that this new crew will find Shaw in a horrible state, having been experimented on by David (possibly in cahoots with the Engineers).  What sort of state is anyone's guess but I'd say that the news that Noomi Rapace will only appear briefly in the film is an indication that my theory is pretty spot on.  I've had images in my head of Shaw horribly mutated by the black substance, in complete agony... cue a traditional Alien "kill me" sequence.

Time will tell but all of my thoughts on the matter (like I said, since 2012), are slowly being confirmed, it seems.  It's really based upon logical deduction of what few options a writer is left with (I myself, am a budding writer, so I can understand the thought process somewhat), due to that old corner that they will have found themselves stuck in.

If I were a writer on Alien: Covenant, I'd feel both constrained and irritated at Lindelof and Ridley for ending Prometheus the way that they did.  It's gonna take some really damn fine writing to make this sequel worthwhile I feel.  A writer blossoms without such tight constraints, with them, he/she is shackled.

Honestly, I don't really have high hopes for this film but that's probably for the best.  My poor heart couldn't take another disappointment of Prometheus' magnitude again.  Never before have I been so bitterly disappointed by a film (it's kind of pathetic to admit this but it was slightly heartbreaking.  The Alien series is my favourite by a country mile and I'd always wanted a Ridley Scott directed exploration of the space jockey species, ever since I was a little kid) and I won't allow myself to be that disappointed again.  I expect the worst and hope for the best...

Either way, I'm very curious to see whether I'm on the money with my plot theories or way off base...

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

One other possibility is that she will spend the entirety of the movie in an Engineer hypersleep chamber on the Juggernaut.

I can totally imagine a flashback sequence where David and Shaw are on the Juggernaut discussing their situation.   David tells Shaw that it will take X number of years to reach "paradise", and there isn't enough food/water/toilet paper available for her to survive the trip.  She makes him promise to wake her up, and he doesn't.

The writers could then sprinkle in a couple of crazy David scenes where he goes and talks to her while she is asleep.  Might be a good way to put in some informative exposition about his plans, while simultaneously showing that David is a few bits short of a byte.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Maybe we'll find out that Shaw become a legendary Prometheus. Shaw somehow gives another anti-engineer race some sort of fire. How about Davids disembodied head and when the engineers learn of this they punish for it. Harshly. Lets say by nailing her to the derelict where she secrets one xeno egg per day until she is all tuckered out.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think I agree, as a writer, that the ending of Prometheus was quite 'shackling.' Although, I think we should try and recall that Lindelof, Spaihts and Scott all mentioned having had detailed discussions regarding where P2 would be going, while they were writing and shaping PROMETHEUS.

That said, it does seem to me that they may have changed directions, at least, somewhat.

I think that, after PROMETHEUS, you have 2 options as a writer.
Either you make a direct sequel to PROMETHEUS and continue very much with the threads left off at the end of that film, or you basically write a new story, something very, very different and self contained,... which basically is as separate from PROMETHEUS, as PROMETHEUS was to ALIEN. IE; a sequel that doesn't really require prior knowledge of PROMETHEUS or ALIEN to work. The studios love these types of sequels because they are easier to market and to say "You don't have to know anything coming into this..." benefits the film at the Box Office. This is especially good when you are dealing with a film as entangled as Prometheus was to its details. A film like that requires a lot of hope that the audience is still invested and remembers a lot of what happened.
Tie-ing up loose ends that people may not even remember is problematic. Especially if you have another story to tell. They may just kill of Shaw in an effort to free up the narrative from her character arc.
Hopefully this isn't the case but then you have the weight of all those ideas in Prometheus. Its hard to introduce new ideas into a busy schedule like that without messing stuff up.

Anything in between a direct sequel and a mostly new story/direction, is asking for trouble and I am starting to get the impression that what we are in for, is a beginning scene that ties directly to P and then a film that starts a new trilogy of very connected stories which will link directly to ALIEN.

If NOOMI RAPACE is in the movie, more so than just in the beginning, in some capacity that is surprising for example; like we think she dies, and then maybe later we discover she is horribly mutated - a major reveal or plot point type scenario - than you can be rest assured Ridley is gonna be smart enough to not mention that and simply say "she has a small part at the beginning."

So it could be misdirection.

Either way, the take home from all of this seems like we are getting the start of a new trilogy that is more loosely connected to PROMETHEUS than was originally intended.

Anyone else getting that idea as well?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed