Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 55,600 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 04, 2015, 09:52:00 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 04, 2015, 01:16:29 PMThis could prove equally disastrous if he were to enter production with a half-baked script.

Retcon ALIEN 3 and bring back Ripley and Hicks.  There's your half-baked script right there.  That has to change first.

If Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn are going to be in this movie, it's got to happen fast.  They aren't getting any younger.  In which case, if the movie is fast tracked, then it highly risks raising all the issues that a Project rushed through development brings with it.   

If the movie takes its time, then Ripley and Hicks are going to be Senior Citizens in space with flamethrowers and pulse rifles.  In which case Blomkamp's movie will just be embarrassing.

The real problem here is Fox has missed the boat.  Blomkamp's proposal would have been great, back in 1988.  Unfortunately, that ship sailed over a quarter of a Century ago.  This desperate attempt on Blomkamp's part to make up for lost ground is folly.  Fox and Scott have become aware of that.

Honestly, I don't think that most really fans care about who is holding the pulse rifles and smartguns.  Most fans want to see more Colonial Marine action in this series.  It doesn't have to be Ripley and Hicks all the time, y'know.  It could easily be a fresh cast.  Blomkamp's initial proposal is so hung up on nostalgia it forgets how much more this series has to offer and risks strangulating it to death with love for what's preceded. 

There's no reason to retcon anything.  Who doesn't want another movie featuring the USCM confronting Xenos once again?  I'm all for it.  it could easily parallel the events of 'ALIEN 3' and everyone would be happy.  Wow!  What a radical idea.

But this fan service bullshit that Blomkamp is attempting to strap us down with is no different than the ludicrous nonsense of Hicks returning in 'A:CM'; and frankly, I'd be happy to see it die.   

-Windebieste.

^

This, I couldn't have said it any better!

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 02, 2015, 09:51:29 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Nov 02, 2015, 09:07:56 PM
good! neil is a mediocre director and also, I didn't like them ignoring A3.

I wish they had the balls to give it to Fincher, with FULL artistic control.

Or Nolan.

Or Paul Thomas anderson.

Or Soderbergh.

Or Mann.

Or Ang Lee.

Or Gunn.

Or...

Guillermo del Toro!   :P

Seriously, the guy has some really good practical effects works such as in Hellboy and in the recent TV show, The Strain. I think he can do a good Alien film.

I was really disapointed with Pacific Rim. Script , dialogues, actors etc. Mediocre.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 02, 2015, 09:52:27 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Nov 02, 2015, 09:07:56 PM
Or Ang Lee.

There is absolutely no way he'd make a good Alien movie. >:(

I may be the only person that loves his Hulk.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 04, 2015, 03:03:15 AM
I'm utterly mystified why people have suddenly begun to speculate that.

maybe someone at fox watched Neil's last two horrible movies?

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 04, 2015, 01:16:29 PMThis could prove equally disastrous if he were to enter production with a half-baked script.

Retcon ALIEN 3 and bring back Ripley and Hicks.  There's your half-baked script right there.  That has to change first.

If Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn are going to be in this movie, it's got to happen fast.  They aren't getting any younger.  In which case, if the movie is fast tracked, then it highly risks raising all the issues that a Project rushed through development brings with it.   

If the movie takes its time, then Ripley and Hicks are going to be Senior Citizens in space with flamethrowers and pulse rifles.  In which case Blomkamp's movie will just be embarrassing.

The real problem here is Fox has missed the boat.  Blomkamp's proposal would have been great, back in 1988.  Unfortunately, that ship sailed over a quarter of a Century ago.  This desperate attempt on Blomkamp's part to make up for lost ground is folly.  Fox and Scott have become aware of that.

Honestly, I don't think that most really fans care about who is holding the pulse rifles and smartguns.  Most fans want to see more Colonial Marine action in this series.  It doesn't have to be Ripley and Hicks all the time, y'know.  It could easily be a fresh cast.  Blomkamp's initial proposal is so hung up on nostalgia it forgets how much more this series has to offer and risks strangulating it to death with love for what's preceded. 

There's no reason to retcon anything.  Who doesn't want another movie featuring the USCM confronting Xenos once again?  I'm all for it.  it could easily parallel the events of 'ALIEN 3' and everyone would be happy.  Wow!  What a radical idea.

But this fan service bullshit that Blomkamp is attempting to strap us down with is no different than the ludicrous nonsense of Hicks returning in 'A:CM'; and frankly, I'd be happy to see it die.   

-Windebieste.

Not this.  I couldn't disagree more.  Alien 3 and Resurrection are both implausible nightmares that the series can't seem to wake up from.  They are great films in their own way but they need to be retconned and in a big way.  The time to do this is now before Biehn and Weaver get too old.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 04, 2015, 03:03:15 AM
It's not getting derailed permanently. I'm utterly mystified why people have suddenly begun to speculate that.
Alright I'm going to come right out and suggest it. Perhaps it's what we secretly want to happen. I mean I really want to see the movie made but at the same time I kind of don't. If you get my drift.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 04, 2015, 11:46:49 PM

-Windebieste.

Not this.  I couldn't disagree more.  Alien 3 and Resurrection are both implausible nightmares that the series can't seem to wake up from.  They are great films in their own way but they need to be retconned and in a big way.  The time to do this is now before Biehn and Weaver get too old.
Here's a suggestion, why not just do a George Lucas Edit and fix the 3rd movie digitally. Completely change the ending and have Rip, Hicks and Newt all survive instead. It's the only way to save shit that's this old. :P

But in all honesty it's way too late to pull a decent retcon off using the same actors. The integrity of the franchise already has enough problems. In my opinion it really would be wiser to move into new territory. Wow now that I think about it, they really should fix the 3rd movie's puppet composting.

DerelictShip

God dammit I love you scott, but come on!!!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Nov 04, 2015, 11:33:03 PMI may be the only person that loves his Hulk.

No, there's two of us :) Much better than the insipid Norton version!

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 04, 2015, 11:46:49 PMThey are great films in their own way but they need to be retconned and in a big way.

They just don't though. There are literally an infinite number of things you could do to move the franchise forwards without arbitrarily screwing with what's already there.

Yet you're stubbornly adamant they need to be undone or else the series will die. I think the continued popularity of the franchise after almost 20 years without an actual Alien movie disproves that pretty convincingly. You seem to have got it into your heard that a retcon the only possible course of action, which is blatantly untrue.

The Alien Predator

They don't need to do anything, like Huda said, the franchise's popularity shows that it's still pretty much alive. This is a huge sci fi franchise in its own way which has inspired some other big sci fi franchises such as Halo.

They could retcon it if they want to, but to say they need to just sounds desperate. They could just as easily make an original Alien 5 with new faces and still revitalize the franchise which is nowhere close to dying anyway.  :)

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 05, 2015, 12:33:23 PM

They don't need to do anything, like Huda said, the franchise's popularity shows that it's still pretty much alive. This is a huge sci fi franchise in its own way which has inspired some other big sci fi franchises such as Halo.

They could retcon it if they want to, but to say they need to just sounds desperate. They could just as easily make an original Alien 5 with new faces and still revitalize the franchise which is nowhere close to dying anyway.  :)
Or set it in between.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 05, 2015, 08:49:56 AM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Nov 04, 2015, 11:33:03 PMI may be the only person that loves his Hulk.

I didn't dislike it either, but Ang Lee's is really close to a masterpiece. (crappy CGI aside...)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Nov 05, 2015, 07:28:45 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 05, 2015, 08:49:56 AM

I didn't dislike it either, but Ang Lee's is really close to a masterpiece. (crappy CGI aside...)

I too liked Ang Lee's Hulk, and the game that is set after the movie. They're a part of my childhood.

D. Compton Ambrose

I think John Carpenter or Clive Barker should direct, personally. If not James Cameron himself.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Barker wasn't even going to direct his own 'Hellraiser' remake. I don't see him wanting to handle someone else's property.

Carpenter hasn't done a decent film in a long time...

Would be interrested in what Cameron would want to do, but his post-'The Abyss' projects have felt very Hollywood-ised and lack the blue collar magic which made his own earlier era feel so classic.

Plus, recently declaring the recent 'Terminator' sequel was supposedly fantastic, genuinely makes me wonder what in the world was going on with his judgement. It's not as if he needed the money.

whiterabbit

Cameron's is an industry man; he'll support any cause if asked too.

windebieste

Ah yeah.  That's right.  'Genisys' was a soft retcon of movies 3 and 4 in 'The Teminator' series.  That worked out well, didn't it.  lol.

All it did was make an even bigger mess of the extant situation that the 'Terminator'  series may never recover from, including the cancellation of any immediate follow up movies.  Pfft.  The whole exercise was a perfect demonstration of retconning the lesser movies for the sake of shoehorning the lead actor back into the series and how it was too much of a gamble that failed miserably.  It's not worth it.  Retconning 'T3' and 'Salvation' with what amounts to a movie that was even more shit was a tragedy; and yet some people here want to risk the same thing happening with the 'ALIEN' series by bringing back Ripley and Hicks.   So retarded.  So risky. 

There's plenty of opportunities to take this series into more constructive avenues, but no. The Blomkamp Boo-hoo Brigade just want a remake of 'ALIENS'.   f**k that.   Blomkamp could take 'ALIEN 5' into much better places than that.

-Windebieste.

T Dog

Yes what "windebieste" says.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed