Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 21, 2015, 02:48:51 PM

Author
Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2 (Read 76,465 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 12:02:07 AMIf you actually read the script before Lindelof you would be thanking him.

Spaihts' script needed some touching up, sure, but it was leagues more coherant than the mess Lindelof turned it into.

whiterabbit

Spaihts script made the alien into a joke that was easily dealt with by simple means. What we got in prometheus was better in that the alien wasn't made into a pussy.

HuDaFuK

Like I said, it needed some touching up. But even with its faults, it was still far better than the movie they made.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 25, 2015, 01:33:29 PM
Like I said, it needed some touching up. But even with its faults, it was still far better than the movie they made.

It really wasn't. What's on screen, debatable. The characters were cardboard cut outs (worse even then what ended on screen), and the creatures came and went, incredibly quickly. Like I said, it felt like they were throwing things to a wall and seeing what stuck.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 01:56:30 PMThe characters were cardboard cut outs (worse even then what ended on screen)

Considering how laughably undeveloped the characters in the finished film are, I find this a truly puzzling criticism to make.

Not to mention character often comes from the actors more than the script. That characters on the pages of Alien aren't anything to shout about, it was the performances that brought them to life.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 25, 2015, 02:05:27 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 01:56:30 PMThe characters were cardboard cut outs (worse even then what ended on screen)

Considering how laughably undeveloped the characters in the finished film are, I find this a truly puzzling criticism to make.

Not to mention character often comes from the actors more than the script. That characters on the pages of Alien aren't anything to shout about, it was the performances that brought them to life.

David in Spaihts script went 0-100 in less than a second nearly every scene. There was nothing subtle about his character at all. Same with Vickers, really, again, worse than what ended up on screen. More mercs were introduced but they're gone through faster than the nameless mooks, indeed, they have names but they're just more like Tool #1 and Tool #2. So many of these characters add up into Alien fodder.

You can criminally under invest in character development and that would be better than failing to deliver a coherent background to one.

It just read the countless cheesy comic books released over the years.Like you could recycle visuals from it, sure, but the core of that script felt unmotivated.

Corporal Hicks

No. It felt focused and knew what it wanted to achieve in terms of narrative. Which it did. Prometheus was a completely unfocused mess of a narrative with no internal integrity.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2015, 02:14:18 PM
No. It felt focused and knew what it wanted to achieve in terms of narrative. Which it did. Prometheus was a completely unfocused mess of a narrative with no internal integrity.

What is internal integrity? Spaihts' script felt like a couple hours of fan service. It was essentially what we got with more over-dramatic plotting and despicable mooks with over several variations on the creature that felt more like merchandising than thought out. It had the same flaws the theatrical cut of Prometheus has, it only amplified them and made them obvious.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 02:12:18 PMMore mercs were introduced but they're gone through faster than the nameless mooks, indeed, they have names but they're just more like Tool #1 and Tool #2. So many of these characters add up into Alien fodder.

I forgot how pivotal Mercenary 1, Mercenary 2, Mercenary 3 and Mercenary 4 were in Prometheus.

That's even how they're listed in the credits.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 25, 2015, 02:30:20 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 02:12:18 PMMore mercs were introduced but they're gone through faster than the nameless mooks, indeed, they have names but they're just more like Tool #1 and Tool #2. So many of these characters add up into Alien fodder.

I forgot how pivotal Mercenary 1, Mercenary 2, Mercenary 3 and Mercenary 4 were in Prometheus.

That's even how they're listed in the credits.

They served the same purpose in Spaihts script, though.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 02:31:19 PMThey served the same purpose in Spaihts script, though.

I'm not denying that. But you're trying to us it as evidence for Spaihts script being inferior, when the end film did EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

Pot - kettle.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 25, 2015, 02:33:13 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 02:31:19 PMThey served the same purpose in Spaihts script, though.

I'm not denying that. But you're trying to us it as evidence for Spaihts script being inferior, when the end film did EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

Pot - kettle.

There are more reasons than that why Spaihts script was draft-like. Which is what it was. It was a draft. It could have been sanded down one way or another into a better film, it had great visuals.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 02:35:52 PMThere are more reasons than that why Spaihts script was draft-like. Which is what it was. It was a draft. It could have been sanded down one way or another into a better film, it had great visuals.

I've never denied that.

But it was at least coherent, with characters who weren't utter retards.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 02:18:09 PM
What is internal integrity?

It stands up to scrutiny and it makes sense. The narrative makes sense. I'm not saying it was perfect - as I've said before, it was rough. And the film did David far better - but it wasn't a mess. Which is my problem with Prometheus. It was a complete narrative mess.

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2015, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 25, 2015, 02:18:09 PM
What is internal integrity?

It stands up to scrutiny and it makes sense. The narrative makes sense. I'm not saying it was perfect - as I've said before, it was rough. And the film did David far better - but it wasn't a mess. Which is my problem with Prometheus. It was a complete narrative mess.

Considering a writer for Lost wrote it, I don't think that's much of a surprise; I heard the series finale was quite disappointing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed