Will Blomkamp create the perfect trilogy with his film?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 01, 2015, 02:46:45 PM

Author
Will Blomkamp create the perfect trilogy with his film? (Read 14,117 times)

LastSurvivor92

I felt like after Aliens the series kind of went askew and besides Ripley's death in 3 the rest of the franchise kind of went off to the wayside.

Do you feel like Blomkamp will properly cap off the series and serve up the conclusion to Aliens that everyone has always wanted?

With the extremely troubled production of Alien 3 and the stringent constraints and terrible effects, the failed attempt of rebooting the franchise with Resurrection and all the terrible criticism by filmmakers and audiences alike couldn't it be possible just to leave the films behind?

Don't get me wrong I absolutley love 3 and 4 but after Blomkamp's announcement and really thinking about what made me start loving the franchise. I don't mind. After Aliens I think everyone was expecting something greater and his film might be the one.

If Blomkamp's Alien film is the conclusion to Aliens...who really cares about 3 and 4 right?

Rankles75

I'm among those who refuse to acknowledge anything that's come since Aliens. I am excited by the prospect of Blomkamp restoring the series to it's former glory and have a lot of faith in him doing so. If he doesn't, for whatever reason, then it'll just join Alien 3 and Resurrection on the list of films that I ignore... :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I'd argue we already got the perfect trilogy.

Alien-Aliens-Alien 3 is a series of incredibly powerful films that tell the arc of Ripley and, better yet, gave it a great, meaningful conclusion. Ripley's death was a perfect, courageous and totally logical conclusion to the story the first three films told.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It really depends on the script. Personally, too, it should not have certain things in It. We'll see.

Xenomorphine

The real question should be whether we'll see yet another homage to that dipping bird...

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 01, 2015, 04:03:12 PM
I'd argue we already got the perfect trilogy.

Alien-Aliens-Alien 3 is a series of incredibly powerful films that tell the arc of Ripley and, better yet, gave it a great, meaningful conclusion. Ripley's death was a perfect, courageous and totally logical conclusion to the story the first three films told.

The Problem is that leading on from Aliens the series had an incredible amount of potential to futher and expand the story of Ripley, explore the Aliens and The Company and an assortment of things.

Alien 3 (The assembly Cut) which is an excellent piece of cinema cut that short and it wasn't anyone's fault. I just feel like it should of never just "ended" it had so much potential and even after watching Alien 3 literally hundreds of times I'm really starting to see why the substance of the film and the context within the script just doesn't aggressively progress the story further and create new territory for the series. It was a awesome movie but didn't have as munch punch to the masses and engaging characters to really relate to anyone in.

I have always been a big fan of all 4 films but I'm starting to understand the sympathy in the Aliens fans. There was more story to tell and Alien 3 kind of nipped that in the bud.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Chronicle on Mar 01, 2015, 05:25:07 PMThe Problem is that leading on from Aliens the series had an incredible amount of potential to futher and expand the story of Ripley, explore the Aliens and The Company and an assortment of things.

People keep saying this like we absolutely need Ripley, which is total rubbish. The series still has an incredible amount of potential without her.

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 01, 2015, 05:27:50 PM
Quote from: Chronicle on Mar 01, 2015, 05:25:07 PMThe Problem is that leading on from Aliens the series had an incredible amount of potential to futher and expand the story of Ripley, explore the Aliens and The Company and an assortment of things.

People keep saying this like we absolutely need Ripley, which is total rubbish. The series still has an incredible amount of potential without her.
Give me examples of great Alien sagas that have not had Ripley on them.

Xenomorphine

Several of the comics had great Ripley-less stories. Much like a good AVP story, just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be done.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Exactly. The only reason there aren't good mainstream examples is because people seem to be slaves to the idea that it has to have Ripley's name on it.

But there are plenty of other sci-fi movies with equally compelling leads. It's not like Ripley's the single greatest thing ever to happen to cinema.

I could also point out Resurrection did have Ripley, and yet was kinda naff (despite Ripley being very good in it)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Counting the comics, I really loved Aliens: Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

We already have the perfect trilogy! A3, despite its production flaws, is the PERFECT ending. It's conclusive, poetic, unapologetic and mature. It reminds us about the indifference and harshness of reality presented in ALIEN after the heroic Hollywood ride in ALIENS. It's full-circle. It's Ripley's story.

A:R is its own movie, but I personally feel that Ripley didn't need to be in it. They could've come up with a similar story, or something completely different, without negating Ripley's sacrifice. Just place the story further on in the future and her sacrifice by default saved several generations of people, which is not so bad if you ask me.

Even so, I fully respect A:R and have come to see it as the new chapter no one dares or wants to continue because they're still hopelessly stuck on ALIENS.

The little we know so far about Blomkamp's A5 mostly sounds like apologetic ALIENS necrophila and indirect franchise cannibalism. Trying to make the perfect trilogy by undoing it is a very odd strategy. Then on the other hand if "perfect ending" means generic happy Hollywood ending with a red bow on top + cheesy openings for even more derivative sequels, then I guess he (or any director for that matter) stand a really good chance.

Xenomorphine

Well, according to Whedon, it was originally going to be about a cloned Newt, not Ripley, so... Your observation may have been more telling than you realised. :)

Son Of Kane

I despise A:R, so for me a sequel set after Alien3 ignoring it would've been ideal.

That said, I'm not upset about what's happening- Alien3 will always exist.

evolution_rex

Despite the flaws in Alien 3, it did have an amazing ending. The thing now is that they wouldn't simply let her die again and the studios will probably intend to make more. I guess Fox just now realized that the Alien franchise has a huge fanbase and that an Alien 5 would be a profitable venture so undoubtedly Fox wants to revive the whole franchise and make more after this one. I know Blomkamp is pretty adamant on keeping to his vision, and I'm hoping that means it does conclude the story of Ripley and Fox makes the next movies with new characters.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed