Alien movie comic book adaptations.... anyone remember them?

Started by StayFrosty, Feb 25, 2015, 11:50:14 PM

Author
Alien movie comic book adaptations.... anyone remember them? (Read 7,820 times)

SM

Kurai

It's sad, especially now. It would be a brilliant move to have a Prometheus movie adaption released to coincide with Covenant's release followed by the Covenant adaptation a few months after.

SM

Considering how hit and miss adaptations are, a lack of a Prometheus one probably isn't really a bad thing.

Kurai

But it isn't a good thing either... It's a Shrodinger's Adaptation. Neither a good thing or a bad thing until it's one or the other. XD

Just needs the right writer and artist combo. And preferably four issues. :P

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Nov 28, 2016, 10:25:15 PMIn what way could it be for kids?

What I meant was the prose and dialogue, especially in the added sections in the first issue, made it feel like a kids' story, not the dark horror it should have been, given the subject matter. The garish colouring certainly didn't help either.

SM

There is very little to recommend Newt's Tale.  On top of the lacklustre art and colouring, there's a lot of differences between it and the source material - both what's hinted at in the film and actually presented.  It sticks to Cameron's script sometimes (in favour of the final film), and at other times doesn't.  Hard to tell why since they didn't have the usual film release deadlines to worry about.  And for something that's supposed to be from Newt's perspective there are a couple of chunks detailing events she wasn't present for.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 29, 2016, 09:45:44 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 28, 2016, 10:25:15 PMIn what way could it be for kids?

What I meant was the prose and dialogue, especially in the added sections in the first issue, made it feel like a kids' story, not the dark horror it should have been, given the subject matter. The garish colouring certainly didn't help either.

Well, it is Newt's tale, in other words, a kid's tale.  That doesn't make any more successful in my eyes.  It is akin to the idea of the "adult fairy tale", of which Pan's Labyrinth is a shining example.  Come to think of it, Aliens could be seen as an adult fairy tale.  Another film that comes to mind is Jurassic Park.

Quote from: SM on Nov 28, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
QuoteI hated that it couldn't seem to decide whether it was for kids or adults - despite the frequent graphic violence, it still somehow felt really childish.

In what way could it be for kids?

I haven't seen it in ages, but from what I recall, the figure drawing was somewhat caricatured, this gave it the appearance of an illustration style which in a traditional sense is geared towards children.  I always had the sense when I had these volumes that I was looking at something that seems to have been drawn for kids, but features adult content.  I can see how Dark Horse wanted it to come across as a book that was from a kid's perspective, but it failed in that regard, and also it didn't really satisfy the expectations of the fans of the film itself.

Ideally, I'd like to see a new adaptation of the Aliens film in comic book format, perhaps by Den Beauvais, but I'd still like to see Newt's Tale rereleased in an omnibus of sorts.

SM

HuDaFuk is right about the inking, but full page splash panels of monsters violently and bloodily exploding from people's chests are not for kids.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Dec 07, 2016, 12:50:52 AM
HuDaFuk is right about the inking, but full page splash panels of monsters violently and bloodily exploding from people's chests are not for kids.

Absolutely, but as I said, its the style not the content.  You can draw something in a style that looks like its for children, but still make it gory or adult themed.  That's the sadly regrettable zone that Newt's Tale occupied...

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Dec 07, 2016, 12:50:52 AMHuDaFuk is right about the inking, but full page splash panels of monsters violently and bloodily exploding from people's chests are not for kids.

And I acknowledged that. But the storytelling around that stuff felt terribly childish.

dragonthingy

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 07, 2016, 11:35:21 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 07, 2016, 12:50:52 AMHuDaFuk is right about the inking, but full page splash panels of monsters violently and bloodily exploding from people's chests are not for kids.

And I acknowledged that. But the storytelling around that stuff felt terribly childish.

I've got all the DH comics from that timeframe, and I was genuinely stunned at how childish many of them were. Most of them had really simple plots, lots of shooting, bright colours (although to be fair, I think it was technical and financial limitations), and characters who bantered all the time.

There's a comic full of juvenile sex jokes, and lots of blood, but they censor "bitch" into "witch" because that would bump up the rating. Basically, they were made for teens who thought they were reading something "adult" because it had violence, but the writing was very childish. Sums up many 90's comics in a nutshell really.

Whiskeybrewer

We never got an Adapt for Prometheus did we?

Corporal Hicks

Only the Japanese novelization.

HuDaFuK

That still confuses the hell out of me - they go to the trouble of writing one, and of translating it into Japanese, but never release it over here... :-\

426Buddy

Even with all the childish-ness and bright colors I still love my aliens/predator comics. I don't know why but I have always had a fascination with them, especially now as an adult. I had a lot of the comics already as a kid but I pretty much left the whole aliens/predator fandom around 14 or 15. Then in 2015 I happened to find my old collection of comics and toys, I'm not sure why but I instantly fell back in love with the whole universe again (probably has something to do with being over 30 and being a new-ish father, needed a hobby i guess). Now i'm just about finished collecting every alien comic ever released, even the anthology dark horse stuff. All I have left is Aliens Xenogenesis and Countdown (hoping this is included with the the fancy pants hard cover of book 2.) I don't have the original graphic novels though, just the library editions re-released in the 90's, not sure if i'm gonna seek out and find the originals yet though. Next I need to start finishing my AvP and Predator comic collections.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed