Too easy?

Started by NickisSmart, Oct 12, 2014, 10:01:19 AM

Author
Too easy? (Read 2,915 times)

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: NickisSmart on Oct 12, 2014, 10:01:19 AM
4. One-life mode
- One life's all you get. Come on. Admit it. This would make people shit themselves.
And never play the game again... #90sConsole

Xenoegg

Xenoegg

Play ALIEN by Mindgames for c64 and Spectrum its a little bit like Isolation but much much harder.  ;) ;D

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

I don't think it is too easy, I think it's just about right.

I played through on hard and there were sections (before the flamethrower) where I died a lot to the alien, didn't get the 100 times though.

Yes once you had figured out a few things it was easier to stay alive, but I think that was a good time.

I think what may have happened is that you got used to dieing, as soon as that starts being part of the learning curve/experience you stop thinking of it as a difficulty thing.

I also found because of the AI luck became an important factor, sometimes I would get lucky and have an easy time, other times I'd be unlucky several times in a row.

One thing was that I felt I got way too much ammo and parts, I never went below about 300 flame fuel and I was maxed out on craftables almost the whole game, although I didn't explore pretty much everywhere.

nicholas.vanderwaard

nicholas.vanderwaard

ive probably died 5 times by the alien, total. once you get the flamethower he's hardly even a threat.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I think maybe the AI could use some fine tuning to give a proper higher difficulty. It's good the way it is but it still has its quirks. Maybe a wider range of vision for a start. I'd love to see them also add the ability for it to lurk and stalk the player from afar to try get the upper hand. Actually get a proper cat & mouse game going on. This would be better than just tightly tethering the Alien to the player.

Doktor Wunderbar

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: nicholas.vanderwaard on Oct 13, 2014, 04:03:26 PM
ive probably died 5 times by the alien, total. once you get the flamethower he's hardly even a threat.
Unless you run out of fuel.  I haven't, but the fear that I would was always in the back of my mind.

Jango1201

Jango1201

Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Oct 14, 2014, 03:27:09 AM
Unless you run out of fuel.  I haven't, but the fear that I would was always in the back of my mind.

This theory kept me from over using the flame thrower.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 14, 2014, 05:57:54 AM

I ran out a few times and had to go back into a defensive shell until I found more. Sucked.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Oct 15, 2014, 01:10:14 AM

I ran out a few times and had to go back into a defensive shell until I found more. Sucked.

I had this funny idea at the end to burn all my fuel on the Alien before reaching the ship and end the game (only had 60 left in the flamethrower, just enough to burn him entirely once).
I did not by the simply fact the Alien stayed in the vent so I reached the area when you take the space suit and... it wasn't the end.
You have no idea how happy I was I had nothing else left that could help me  :laugh:
Unless EMP & Flash grenade does work against the Alien? I haven't tried that yet.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

the pipe bomb will cause the alien to run away

Personally I found the game to be fairly easy as well as long as you were patient.  All you have to do is walk.  Not hide.  Not crawl.  Just hold your motion tracker out and put as much space between you and he and take a slightly longer way to objectives.  Its also easy once he's in a vent because you know he's going to reset his patrol routes.  Its going to be where you are at, but while he's in there you are pretty much free to move around the map. 

HOWEVER.  I'm the opposite of Nick.  I thought it would be better if the Alien utilized the entire map for the level you are playing.  Since I found my technique to be an easy defeat for him I think it would be better if the Alien did not spawn exactly where you are at and lulled you into a false sense of security where you wouldn't rely on the tracker so much and then f**k yourself over when you ran into him when you least expect it. 

Some of the times that I thought there were scripted movements by the Alien just appearing he was moving around in the ducts I was wrong.  All you have to do is make a noise to drop him out of the vents.  I'm talking about areas like the trams, some of the bigger open areas like where Waits tried to set off the bomb, etc. 

I'd also give you a chance to go prone without being next to a table or other form of cover but make the Alien more aware of you if you were partially concealed.  I played ring around the rec table way to often to escape the Alien. 

Also the bottom level vents should be utilized more.  My entire playthrough they were only used twice by the Alien.  I think its because the developers didn't have a back up animation for when you flamed the Alien in the vents but  could be wrong. 

minor gripes

stroggificated

stroggificated

Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 15, 2014, 01:55:29 AM

I had this funny idea at the end to burn all my fuel on the Alien before reaching the ship and end the game (only had 60 left in the flamethrower, just enough to burn him entirely once).
I did not by the simply fact the Alien stayed in the vent so I reached the area when you take the space suit and... it wasn't the end.
You have no idea how happy I was I had nothing else left that could help me  :laugh:
Unless EMP & Flash grenade does work against the Alien? I haven't tried that yet.

I used the flamethrower against it two times, because i just couldn't avoid it there. I always kept my fuel for androids, possible facehuggers and humans. It was impossible for me with the humans in the lobby. I had to lure them away and "tomahawk" them, otherwise i had probably never seen the alien by now ;D No idea if it works on hard, it worked that way on medium at least.

[BAM] Yojimbo

[BAM] Yojimbo

Make a "Lone Survivor" difficulty setting that sits above hard which forces you to do the zoomba with the alien

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: stroggificated on Oct 15, 2014, 09:58:16 AM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 15, 2014, 01:55:29 AM

I used the flamethrower against it two times, because i just couldn't avoid it there. I always kept my fuel for androids, possible facehuggers and humans. It was impossible for me with the humans in the lobby. I had to lure them away and "tomahawk" them, otherwise i had probably never seen the alien by now ;D No idea if it works on hard, it worked that way on medium at least.
You know that androids are pretty much immune to fire, though?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

the ones in the bodysuits are, but the others aren't from the flamethrower

you can two blast them

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed