‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jul 27, 2014, 03:10:24 AM

Author
‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story (Read 39,627 times)

LastSurvivor92

There doesn't seem to be any plans for another instalment to the hugely popular franchise, even though Weaver insists that Ripley's story is still unresolved. In fact, recently there has been more talk of a sequel to Prometheus, the prequel to Alien, than another film that involves Ripley.

Weaver shot to fame as the star of Ridley Scott's 1979 sci-fi classic, Alien, before then starring in James Cameron's 1986 highly acclaimed follow-up Aliens.

She also featured in the less popular Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, which were directed by David Fincher and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, respectively, but despite the fact that neither of these films received the praise of its predecessors, Weaver is still adamant that there is life in the film series yet.

"I definitely feel the story is unresolved, we never really finished it," Weaver explained. "That was sort of my responsibility, because I didn't like where the story was going – I'd already tried to kill myself in Alien 3."

The actress also noted that she isn't a fan of the spin-off films of the series, which saw the creature paired with another cinematic legend, Predator. "I didn't like the Alien Vs Predator movies, I thought they were demeaning to a wonderful story," she noted. "Jim Cameron said it was like Alien vs the Wolfman. For many reasons, I didn't want to pursue it, I wanted to do other things."

Alien Resurrection did provide some closure to the story though, as Ripley managed to kill a human hybrid of the alien before making her way back to earth with Winona Ryder's android.

Weaver insists that there is more room to explore in the story. "As a former English major, I feel like... hmmm, I wish we'd finished this story," she added. "It feels incomplete to me. I wish it didn't, but it does. We left it hanging. And there's a way to finish this story that I think would be satisfying to me and the many fans."

This isn't the first time that Weaver has made several comments alluding to another Alien film. In June she told a crowd at the Hero Complex film festival that the story was unresolved, while back in May James Cameron also revealed that he had once planned to make Alien 5 alongside Ridley Scott. However these plans ultimately fell through.

Weaver made the comments while promoting her role in the new Alien game, which she also insisted is "incredibly cool." This is the first time that she's played the character since 1997′s Alien Resurrection.

With Weaver clearly interested, however, it surely won't be long before Fox picks up on the hints and kicks a production into motion.

Article courtesy of: INQUISITR

Uncanny Antman

Meh.  Ellen Ripley's part in the tale was over after Alien3.  And I wouldn't be all that stoked about continuing the A:R story.  I'd rather leave that sequel lying fallow for all time.

RakaiThwei

I really don't want to see an Alien 5. We have had so many years to get it done after Resurrection but then again you could argue that Resurrection was where the franchise ended.. Of course you could even argue that Aliens or Alien 3 was where the story should've ended. But with Prometheus being the main focus, and a movie taking two to three years to make.. By the time Prometheus 3, assuming there will be a Prometheus 3 will ever be made if the sequel succeeds.. Weaver will be too old.

Also.. there has to be a stopping point. In some respect, I do agree with Ridley Scott that Fox has milked the franchise and the Xenomorph dry. Seven movies (Prometheus and AvP's included, Predator movies not counting for this).. and two more Prometheus movies constitutes nine. Do we need a tenth movie? Where can we go after Resurrection with Ripley?

Ripley's story has been told. No point in adding an unnecessary sequel.

whiterabbit

Yea, Rips story ended with Alien³. Rip8 is a carbon copy of Ripley but it is not Ripley. I mean lets face it, that boat(Ripley) sank into the fire a long time ago. On that note, I do want to see an Alien 5 but if I had to choose then I'm going with Prometheus 2. Besides, they could always do AVP3 instead.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 27, 2014, 05:17:23 AM
Besides, they could always do AVP3 instead.

As much as I would love to see AvP3 happening, I've come to terms that movie won't likely happen. We've a better chance at seeing an Alien reboot or a Predator reboot happening before AvP3.

Or they could just stop making Alien, Predator and Prometheus movies after the Prometheus series finishes it's run. And what we have is what we have, end of story and that's all she may have wrote.

whiterabbit

Yea it doesn't look promising except for the predator series. It appears pred fans will get a squeal to the original series.

They should let WY get their hands on the alien and make a movie showing what people can do with alien dna... no A|R was not that. Basically that was a poor version of Frankenstein gone wild at best.

Immolater

anyone who would be excited about another AvP movie is an idiot. its a concept that should have stayed to comic books, video games and toy lines. NEVER a movie.

we need another ALIEN film.

razor85

I don't like her

Hell-Scorpion

Alien 5: Ripley 8 & Call go a date that ends in bed, Call kills the Alien watching them with a "antique" M41A pulse rifle. The hot android-on-human/Xeno/hybrid-clone-action continues to some Issac Hayes. The End.  8)

Mr. Clemens

Yeah, might as well let it go. Ripley's been turned into a superhero, and the alien's now about as scary as Kermit the Frog.

Prometheus 2, please!

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Immolater on Jul 27, 2014, 10:59:06 AM
anyone who would be excited about another AvP movie is an idiot. its a concept that should have stayed to comic books, video games and toy lines. NEVER a movie.

Yeah screw the Prometheus sequels. I want to see the xenomorph in a new fresh light again and Sigourney Weaver at the helm producing it. Prometheus fell flat and hard entertainment wise and I don't think it has much to carry. Alien 5 could at least be a new beginning for the series while still extending the story to the xenomorph and to Ripley. Why do you guys want boring sequels to Prometheus? I want to see the Aliens again for Christ sake. Especially if the director has a good track record and is able to push the series into new territory.

PRJ

What part of the story is left to finish, honestly? Most fans agree that A R was somewhere between awful and a fun movie, but Ripleys story ended at 3. If you want to take the franchise in new directions, I'd start with comic adaptations that bring to light the Alien menace is scattered across the universe, under the title Aliens: (insert sub name here).

That way, you have an infinitely large fictional universe to create material that is based on the original films but not limited to Ripley-based stories. You can have more Colonial Marines, more Weyland-Yutani, more space truckers and more Gateway station. Other planets, colonies, new characters and more insight on the creatures.

The biggest threat to the expansion of the Alien universe are the limits currently in place. Once you expand to outside the events of Acheron and show that Engineers and Aliens are spread throughout space, you can go wherever you want. If movies are canon, you need a new movie for new canon.

Valaquen

No thank you. Ripley has been drained dry. I thought the third movie was stretching to include her (star power over story telling) and the fourth movie was abysmal.

Local Trouble

"Always leave them wanting more" is the old show business adage.  Alien Resurrection left me wanting less.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Immolater on Jul 27, 2014, 10:59:06 AM

An Alien film that probably has NOTHING to do with Ripley. Feature a new protagonist, and go somewhere with that.. I'll be good with that but to continue on with Ripley's story? No, no we don't.

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 27, 2014, 04:31:22 PM
No thank you. Ripley has been drained dry. I thought the third movie was stretching to include her (star power over story telling) and the fourth movie was abysmal.

Agreed whole heartedly. While I liked Alien 3, or rather the Assembly Cut of the movie rather than the theatrical version anyway.. The franchise should've ended there. Or for those who had hated Alien 3, then the franchise should either ended with Aliens or gone in a completely different direction. Of course, we have the now retconned and arguably non-canon (due to the reboot comics on the way) Dark Horse comics which were published in '88-89. Those explore Ripley's exploits in a different route.

Quote from: Chronicle on Jul 27, 2014, 02:52:53 PM
Prometheus fell flat and hard entertainment wise and I don't think it has much to carry. Why do you guys want boring sequels to Prometheus?

While I liked Prometheus, I couldn't help but feel as if.. there was really pretentious air about the movie. More and more I find myself personally just not caring about the upcoming sequel. More and more I am finding myself just not really caring about these franchises because.. I haven't been very pleased with where the are going. First with Colonial Marines, now the pandering with Prometheus in the comics.. While I don't know where Prometheus 2 is headed, something just tells me that I just wouldn't care enough to be excited for it. If Alien 5 were to be announced, chances are I wouldn't be excited for it either.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed