Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders

Started by LastSurvivor92, Apr 12, 2014, 08:41:08 AM

Author
Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders (Read 78,598 times)

Cal427eb

They do at my work.

Cvalda

No one wants your Made in China off-brand Sam's Club soda.

Cal427eb

Nigga, I'm talking about the vending machine.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 03, 2014, 10:21:00 PM
I wish I had a nickle for every time you used the words "I", "I'm" or "My".

I can see a few circumstances where I might want to write out my posts differently solely for the sake of anyone reading them, but I'm thinking it would be much more amusing on my end to see if I can actually troll in this manner, now that you've brought it to my attention.

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 03, 2014, 10:26:00 PM
No one wants your Made in China off-brand Sam's Club soda.
Sam's Crub Soda

SM

SM

QuoteAnd no, I'm not bashing people with severe depression, I'm bashing both the people that pretend to be the authority on diagnosing and treating human suffering, and the people that never make an effort to become skilled in finding good information, so when they do become severely depressed, they have no course of action but to gamble with their own quality of life and step into the impersonal meat grinder described above.

Shit, we better all get medical degrees in case we get sick, eh?  And law degrees in case we have to go to court, and pilots licenses in case we want to fly anywhere...

Xeno Killer 2179

damn straight

tavianini19

tavianini19

Everyone should be a master of all trades.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Oct 03, 2014, 10:17:04 PM
And no, I'm not bashing people with severe depression, I'm bashing both the people that pretend to be the authority on diagnosing and treating human suffering...

Nobody is pretending to be the authority on diagnosing and treating human suffering. Apart from those who actually are experienced and have studied in this field. People here are simply passing on their own advice from personal experience.

Quote...the people that never make an effort to become skilled in finding good information, so when they do become severely depressed, they have no course of action but to gamble with their own quality of life and step into the impersonal meat grinder described above.

Are you even realising what you're saying? Is severe depression quality of life? What are you gambling if you have nothing to gamble with? Before I went on medication I was very weary and I believed that I would become numb to everything and feel generally crappy. And then I realised I was feeling generally crappy anyway, so what did I have to lose?

This "impersonal meat grinder" you describe is also a familiar place for some people who aren't on medication.

It's really a case of someone trying different things and seeing what works for them. And sometimes medication does help a lot.

There is such a stigma around mental illness and often people don't get help because they're conditioned to believe that psychologists and psychiatrists are just trying to milk them for all they are worth and that any medication prescribed will just make them feel zoned out. There are of course cases where this is true but they are never dead ends; just very big obstacles for people who are suffering with a mental illness.

Cvalda

Xeno obviously has some issues, but I bet he's in denial about it because he thinks other people with issues are weak ◦°˚\(*❛‿❛)/˚°◦

Kimarhi

Xeno just beat your face guy. 

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Oct 03, 2014, 10:17:04 PM
But then I decided the source of the problem is the subtle and ongoing encouragement of helplessness, and that fixing this would be the equivalent of taking down the mothership of first world oppression.

And no, I'm not bashing people with severe depression, I'm bashing both the people that pretend to be the authority on diagnosing and treating human suffering, and the people that never make an effort to become skilled in finding good information, so when they do become severely depressed, they have no course of action but to gamble with their own quality of life and step into the impersonal meat grinder described above.

There is unfortunately still no effective substitute for anti depressants (and they can have a variety of dreadful side effects, true) . In that context, whether big pharma makes billions on these drugs or not, is somewhat irrelevant for most people suffering from the illness; they have no alternatives.

For some severely depressed people, the alternative to medicine is suicide. Whether and how that simple and horrific fact of life fits into your world view or not, I don't know...

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

I suffer depression and I have a psychotic disorder.  Everyday I have to take a mood stabilizer, anti-psychotic and anti-depressants.  I hate it.  I'm suicidal without my meds.  That's all I wanna say on it really.  Don't like talking about it all to much.

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Vickers on Oct 05, 2014, 11:34:35 PM
Nobody is pretending to be the authority on diagnosing and treating human suffering. Apart from those who actually are experienced and have studied in this field. People here are simply passing on their own advice from personal experience.
I was specifically talking only about those who study and practice in these fields---they're full of shit and can hide it very well--yet it's a mistake to take this personally because being full of shit is hardly limited to this area, and a lot of genuinely nice people are afflicted by the condition. You just smile and keep nodding in these situations.

Are you even realising what you're saying? Is severe depression quality of life? What are you gambling if you have nothing to gamble with? Before I went on medication I was very weary and I believed that I would become numb to everything and feel generally crappy. And then I realized I was feeling generally crappy anyway, so what did I have to lose?

If you look at people who suffer similar physical injuries or illnesses, the ones who fare better tend to be the ones in better shape to begin with.

Regarding situational mental illness, if you have eyes to see this could happen to you, then is it not gambling with one's quality of life by not taking preventative measures----that is, adopting daily habits that keep you from slowly unraveling and also by building resilience to stress?

And I know there is not much to save or much to live for when you are depressed, that is why it is depression---I was referring to the person who does have something to lose, and IS in a position to take responsibility for their own well being, outside a depressive episode, not the fleshy imposter that looks like a person during one.

It's really a case of someone trying different things and seeing what works for them. And sometimes medication does help a lot.

Yes, and people can get better for any and all sorts of reasons, including no apparent reason at all, but isn't it a shame most people have to be really hurt first before they'll avoid the things they already knew were hurting them?

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 05, 2014, 11:37:38 PM
Xeno obviously has some issues
I tried therapy but ended up leaving with more issues than I began with. Something about counseling and being antisocial don't mix  :-[

Nevertheless, my issues are mine; you can't have them.

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 05, 2014, 11:37:38 PM
but I bet he's in denial about it because he thinks other people with issues are weak ◦°˚\(*❛‿❛)/˚°◦

My weakness is weak people.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

This thread's been up since April and the title still has 'Aniexty' in it.

Uuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhh

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed