Started by predxeno, Nov 02, 2013, 06:52:41 PM

Did you like Prometheus?

Yes
96 (65.8%)
No
50 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author
Did you like Prometheus? (Read 48,189 times)

predxeno

predxeno

Well, I'm measuring more modern opinions of the film; it'd be nice to see if opinions have changed after the initial high of seeing the movie has died down; those are the most accurate IMO.  Also, I limited my poll into yes or no options.

SiL

SiL

Which doesn't allow for people like me who are on the fence about it.

predxeno

predxeno

Yeah sorry about that, but this poll is designed to track more definitive opinions on the film; if I put a 3rd option in, then everyone will click it.

SiL

SiL

... and so accurately gauge how people really think about it.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 02, 2013, 10:50:39 PM
Well, I'm measuring more modern opinions of the film; it'd be nice to see if opinions have changed after the initial high of seeing the movie has died down; those are the most accurate IMO.  Also, I limited my poll into yes or no options.

Just a thought here but, as you say, over time peoples opinions can change, therefore 'maybe' the poll might have been best served asking the question "Do you think Prometheus actually deserves a sequel?"  It's pretty much the same thing, but it  deals with that change over time by questioning if Prometheus is actually worth it, for people who maybe hated the movie solely because it left so many questions.

I think it would be an interesting one myself.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I didn't like it.  I don't hate it either though.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't like it.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

nope

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Rong on Nov 02, 2013, 09:48:36 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Nov 02, 2013, 09:06:55 PM
Liked it very much. Loved the feel of it. The world. Sets, wardrobe, vehicles, all the tech. The weird creepy simplicity of the Engineers and the mystery of what they were up to.

Hated the pacing. Felt like half a movie stretched out to fill the running time. Not enough natural character banter. Needed to be more of a full fledged assemble piece rather than focusing on two or three characters. A lot of wasted talent.

Yeah the pacing especially in the second half, but I think it was deliberate to appeal to modern audiences, I really hope for a directors cut soon there is a lot of material that wasn't used, some of the fan edits addition of released extra material helped the film along.

You guys hit the nail on the head.

I really did like the film, and love the concepts it was going for. I even really loved the concept of the Engineers, despite me wishing that the Space Jockeys retained the ominous, incomprehensible alien quality the skeleton had in the original film. Prometheus is chock full of fantastic ideas, stunning visuals, and immense potential.

That being said, the pacing (especially in the second half) was terrible, and the way some of the character and plot stuff was handled throughout just felt really off. If ever a movie needed an extended cut (and another rewrite or two) this is the one.

I still really hope we get a sequel. I'd love to see Paradise explored.

SM

SM

Despite the fact the plot is indeed progressing, the constant revisiting of the temple gave us the impression the story isn't going anywhere.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I actually didn't have a problem with the revisiting of the temple (maybe it's just because I really liked it as a setpiece), but it definitely would have made more sense for them to check at least a few other places before they decided that that was all the planet had to offer.

SM

SM

It wasn't just the temple (which of course looked good), but it was the revisiting of the ampule chamber and cockpit/ hypersleep room.  And if we're not there, we're invariably in the Prometheus hangar or bridge.

If you look at Alien, we're on the ship a lot of the time, but we're seeing new stuff - C deck, landing gear room, vents, shuttle etc.  Similar with Aliens, the film can drag while they're holed up in Ops, but soon enough we're moving again and don't stop for about 40 minutes.  Even revisiting the AP station - this time we're seeing the Queen.  Even Alien3 gives us a new location with the piston chamber for the last 20 odd minutes or so.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Very true. Never really thought about it in terms of the crew just running back and forth.

Prometheus never really slowed down for me (even on rewatches), but every time I watch it the pacing seems more and more off. I usually just attribute that to the choppy editing (which is definitely a huge factor), but the endless game of back and forth probably doesn't help the case much at all.

SM

SM

I've never thought the editing was choppy as such, but there was a lack of momentum at times - or rather, as I've said, the impression of a lack of momentum.  It would've benefitted from cutting back on the revisiting.  Like how they combined the pyramid and derelict in Alien.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

I appreciate that the poll demands people take a stand on the film.

I'm in the 'like it' category. Sure there are things I would have done differently, but I appreciate its [vickersvoice]'agenda'[/vickersvoice], and I find it to be a very enjoyable sensory experience. I still watch it pretty frequently, actually.

I really, really want a sequel to Prometheus. I want to see that universe and those ideas opened up. Another movie about gung-ho guys battling aliens doesn't interest me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed