AvPG Reviews Fast Track to Heaven & Prey

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 26, 2013, 03:35:08 PM

Author
AvPG Reviews Fast Track to Heaven & Prey (Read 9,424 times)

Corporal Hicks

I’ve just uploaded two new reviews. The first is of Aliens – Fast Track to Heaven, a comic novella written and drawn by Liam Sharp and one of Aliens vs. Predator – Prey, the Steve and Stephani  Perry adaption of the original AvP comic series by Randy Stradley:

“From the moment I saw the Giger-esque style Alien on the cover I got the sense that this would feel like "Alien". Sharp carries that feeling throughout the book, using Nostromo looking spacesuits, an old beatdown looking space station and Director's Cut style cocoons to maintain that distinctively looking "Alien" feel.

26082013_01

Be sure to check out my full review of Aliens – Fast Track to Heaven and AvP – Prey. You can find other reviews and articles in our articles section! Feel free to let us know what you think of the reviews.

DemonicD13

Good Review, thanks for the work.
I have read many of the expanded universe comics and books and I have a hard time finding ones that fit my tastes.

Darkness

Isn't the Yautja  stuff just based on what was already in the movies anyway?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 26, 2013, 04:18:50 PM
Isn't the Yautja stuff just based on what was already in the movies anyway?

Not to the degree Perry took it. Some loose indications of not finding certain things 'sporting' enough, but he decided to apply that to a samurai/viking analogy and basically turned them into honour-obsessed klingons with a crab-mouth.

Xenoscream

I really like the look of Sharp's artwork. Funny that he seemed to get so much spot on and then kind of failed with the Alien itself. 38 pages certainly doesn't sound like enough to flesh out a decent Alien story... I hope we do get another good one eventually.

Terx2

Is it worth getting Fast track to Heaven?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 26, 2013, 04:18:50 PM
Isn't the Yautja  stuff just based on what was already in the movies anyway?

Not really. The film's show them as wanting better game, bigger challenges. Not the space samurai.  :-\

Quote from: Terx2 on Aug 27, 2013, 09:52:41 AM
Is it worth getting Fast track to Heaven?

That's up to you to decide! That's why I write my reviews.  :)

saintssinphony

I read Fast Track to Heaven last night and I totally thought I had missing pages or something.  The ending of the book is very abrupt.  I think another 10 pages could have really helped the story tremendously.  I love the artwork though, really good atmosphere.  I loved the throwback spacesuits also.  I just wish it would have been longer.  Great review Hicks, I think it was spot on.

Terx2

Got Fast Track to heaven. It was good. Felt shorter than I thought it would be. Love the artwork of it.

DC

I'm really glad they harkened back to the atmosphere and merchandise of Alien as opposed to Aliens. It's all Aliens now days. Aliens: Colonial Marines, Aliens vs. Predator, and so on and so forth . . .

SM

It's been Aliens for 25 years.

DC

My point exactly, it is a refreshing change of pace for the first time in 25 years.

Greg Or

I quite liked the overall Alien vibe of the comic , but as many noticed, It is a way short (maybe 70+ pages would help?) and story just don't feel continuous as It could . 

Authors fault or not enough pages to deal with interesting story ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed