Do you personally take the expanded universe as canon?

Started by Xenomrph, Apr 30, 2013, 03:08:09 AM

Just like the topic says

Yes, everything, all of it, if it's an official Aliens/Predator product it's canon (even crossovers)
10 (8%)
Yes, but only Aliens/Predator/AvP stuff, no inter-company crossovers
10 (8%)
Yes, but only everything in certain mediums (specifically games, or novelizations, or comics, etc)
5 (4%)
Yes, but only things from certain franchises (Aliens but not Predator, etc)
2 (1.6%)
Yes, but I pick and choose (only *certain* games, novelizations, comics, etc)
35 (28%)
No, EU ain't canon. Movies-only for me.
59 (47.2%)
Yes, but what Fox considers canon.
4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author
Do you personally take the expanded universe as canon? (Read 21,486 times)

SM

Fox has gone through it all and said canon or not.

Biomechanoid

Movies only for me.

But I saw one member of the old imdb forums bring forward a concept ranking sources in a hierarchy. Number 1 being the most credible, the higher the number the least credible. I don't recall exactly his hierarchy list, but it was something like this......

1. On screen only = The most credible, trumps all below it.
2. Scripts = final drafts/shooting scripts trump first/early drafts.
3. Novelization
4. Related novel.
5. Writer's input
6. Director's input
7. Comics
8. Games
9. Etc., etc. - the least credible

Again, this may not have been the order he listed it, but might be interesting to see how others would rank the hierarchy.

Huggs

In regards to the Predator, it's movies only for me. Except for the Alien franchise where I believe Isolation was a unique, entertaining, and legitimate enough attempt be considered canon.

Alien
Alien: Isolation
Aliens
Alien 3

That's all I consider to be canon.

ralfy

Maybe if the works are consistent with what is depicted in the films.

Wweyland

I accept that the EU and even some of the movie continuity is a convoluted mess.
But it's fun in its own way and I try not to worry about it much.

SM

That's for the best.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 16, 2018, 10:37:34 AM
I accept that the EU and even some of the movie continuity is a convoluted mess.
But it's fun in its own way and I try not to worry about it much.
I don't think it's nearly as convoluted as some people make it out to be, but this is still a pretty healthy way to look at it regardless.

Wweyland

We can be thankful that there are no time travel plotlines involved that would make things even more difficult.
The super nitpicky Star Trek fans have to deal with that crap in addition to the lack of detail.

Xenomrph

If anything, time travel/alternate timelines/alternate dimensions makes things easier. It's like the Terminator or Transformers franchises - all of it is "canon", but it doesn't all happen in the same continuity.

SM

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 29, 2018, 12:46:31 PM
We can be thankful that there are no time travel plotlines involved that would make things even more difficult.
The super nitpicky Star Trek fans have to deal with that crap in addition to the lack of detail.

Life & Death might've had time travel in it.

DerelictShip

That's hard to say for me.

Films are definitely priority for me. Lately though I'm straying away from following the films like a bible. I've been nitpicking what I accept and don't accept. Like even if I know that's what the director wants me to think, I'll just mentally say no. Example: All of AVPR, Ridleys stance on Xeno origins, Alien R, etc.

Other than that I like Alien isolation, AVP 2010, and certain comics. I like the more reasonable, for lack of a better word, comics. Very picky in the comic world...guess it's whatever strikes my interest.

Local Trouble

What about Deadliest of the Species?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed