In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,426,727 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Eva on Oct 22, 2014, 11:27:49 PM
As long as everybody keeps standing in a corner and looking at their own stupid feets, the struggle against ISIS will go on and on and it will be the poorest equipped and trained soldiers we have that will be fighting them on the ground. Utterly stupid strategy. Especially considering all the land forces Nato have in bases all around the Mediterranean area.

It isn't that simple tho.

We've broken our foot off before in ISIS back when they were AQI.  The Sunni Awakening nearly wiped them off the face of the planet because the Sunnis knew that if they didn't start helping thwart AQI then the US was just going to let the Shiites wipe them out. 

The thing is with any force like that, they are so low tech and the infrastructure is so bad, all these dudes have to do when receiving an ass whooping is throw down their weapons, run over the border to a place like Syria, lick their wounds, reorganize, resupply and come back to start it all over again.

It also doesn't help that we totally waste things like the Sunni Awakening.  Instead of promoting the heads of that movement into the Iraqi government through political maneuvering, we left it up to the Shiite government who instead ignored them for years afterwards, separated them from the government and basically told them to f**k off.  So now the Sunni's that originally kicked the shit out of their extremist brethren are much more likely to join ISIS than they ever were close to joining AQI.

We also left too early and didn't let the New Iraqi Army develop long enough to be left on their own.  So they are getting smashed.

Looking back it would have been better to have empowered the Kurds, because they are the only group in Iraq that has any backbone and any semblance of human rights.  But it would've been like putting the independents in charge in 'Merica. 

It's a clusterf**k and some of it is Obama's doing.

Promised to take all the troops out of Iraq.  Did so right before being reelected.  Iraq goes to shit without US support.  Can't send troops back in because he already promised not too. 

Also can't send troops to Syria because of public war weariness and those pesky republicans.

He's pretty much doing the only thing he can do.  Hoping to degrade their fighting ability and letting somebody else deal with them. 

America will only stop being war weary when an ISIS or Al Qaeda cell does something again to the homeland. 

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 22, 2014, 11:56:31 PM
CrossFit is a cult: Why so many of its defenders are so defensive
http://www.salon.com/2014/10/22/crossfit_is_a_cult_why_so_many_of_its_defenders_are_so_defensive_partner/

Oh Kimmy ;D

lol I've never done crossfit.

I was f**king about.  Not as successfully as you did to me yesterday.   >:(

Eva

Eva

If they don't wanna commit ground forces waving Nato flags or whatever for interior political reasons, how about sending in special forces groups to train and re-enforce the Kurdish fighters in the toughest engagements and hot spots? All Nato members have them and they are the experts in  performing operations under tough circumstances in enemy territory. That's basically what they train for their entire careers.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Canadian Special Forces are actually already in Iraq as advisors.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

US Army SF is already there in that capacity.

I doubt DELTA and DEVGRU ever left.  Somebody has to be protecting the dudes calling in airstrikes for the Iraqi Army and those guys are going to be combat controllers, not anybody from the Iraqi military.  Plus they will find time to headhunt badguys.

The thing about SOF is that yes they are absolute badasses that do work.  They are still very small groups of people.  Conventional forces in conflict do the most work, even if they don't do it with the same precision and proficiency that SOF do.  There are simply more of them.  Lots more of them.  80,000 people including support vs the 2.2 million other conventional troops.   

And the only conventional forces in Iraq right now are the guys protecting the greenzone so if they start to get overrun they can buy time for the diplomats to get out of the city. 

Cvalda

Cvalda

Short version:
Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 23, 2014, 12:27:13 AM
US Army SF DELTA DEVGRU SOF

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

too short

needs

IN IRAQ NOW

somewhere

Eva

Eva

Right... checked up on it. Seems Germany sent special forces in there as well... and perhaps also us, working as spotters in enemy lands for the Danish F16s bombing IS in Iraq. GJ guys.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Christ, just hearing about the Ottawa thing now. It's pretty freaky.

First Blood

First Blood

And here I thought crime in Canada was a myth. I guess no country is safe from Islamic extremists.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 23, 2014, 01:01:49 AM
Try living 10 minutes away and having family that work in the area

BANE

BANE

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Oct 23, 2014, 01:04:36 AM
Try living 10 minutes away and having family that work in the area
Hey, me too!

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Yeah. I'm just about as far removed as you can be while still being in Canada. Can only imagine what that's like.

Have a good friend here from Ottawa. Wonder how she's taking it.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Yea, when I first heard about it I was initially pretty freaked out myself. You always hear about this kind of thing going down elsewhere in the world but never imagine it happening on your own soil, the capital of Canada for that matter.

I'm closer to Toronto than I am to Ottawa, but am nonetheless within the province and on the news you can see even Toronto is increasing it's police presence allover the place.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

From CBC, it's going on nation-wide. Legislatures in each province on alert, lots of military bases too.

Gonna put Mansbridge's coverage in here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-shooting-live-updates-1.2808737

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed