In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,426,417 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 16, 2014, 10:59:56 AM
Fair point about metals which are rare on Earth, though I'd imagine it would be a very long time before the cost of a mining venture could be outweighed by the value of the payload.

Yeah, it's the cost of getting "up there" that's the main issue. It costs about $10,000 to put a pound of payload in Earth orbit. Would be much cheaper bringing the payload back though.

Maybe if Putin manages to re-assemble the Soviet Union, start a Cold War II and get a space race going again?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Putin may be an imperialist, but I'm pretty sure he has zero interest in a re-establishment of Russian communism. Their economy hinges on a super-rich oligarchy, and has grown under capitalist principles.

Still, that man and his country defy prediction. With the influence of the oligarchy, the state might express an interest in spearheading extraterrestrial ventures again (such as mining).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, the cold war and space race was a product of ideology as much as anything else.

Ironic that Russia today is arguably the world leader in capitalism.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

The pope will forgo his typical armored and bulletproof transportation. Time to activate agent Maledoro!

May science and the laws of physics be on your side!

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

There is no reason to travel to other worlds to mine rare earth metals though, we can do that on near earth asteroids and helium is the main element that we will have to mine in the near future. Thankfully Jupiter's atmosphere is basically 25% helium. No helium, no rockets, no mri, no chance and we're squandering it away thanks to congress. Once it gets out in the atmosphere it basically heads out into space to never be seen from again.

However the truth of the matter is that we will head into space because we want too. For the same reason people climb stupid ass tall mountains. If not that, then for survival. Those who may not be fond of the idea will do so for the same reason as always, money.

Eva

Eva

Most metals are perfectly recycable. Fuel cell powered cars are being developed by all the major automakers to be introduced in mass production in the early 2020s as well as the petrol/hydrogen fuel station infrastructure to back it up. The Moon holds all the Helium we could ever want when we run out of the stuff here.

Fossil fuels have had their time. In a couple of decades, they'll be slowly outfased in most 1st World nations.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

galaxy has become the union of progressive peoples

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Let's build an atmosphere processor.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Eva on Jun 16, 2014, 10:17:07 PM
Most metals are perfectly recycable. Fuel cell powered cars are being developed by all the major automakers to be introduced in mass production in the early 2020s as well as the petrol/hydrogen fuel station infrastructure to back it up. The Moon holds all the Helium we could ever want when we run out of the stuff here.

Fossil fuels have had their time. In a couple of decades, they'll be slowly outfased in most 1st World nations.
Ah that is true. Damn moon actually has a useful purpose. :P

Easier and cheaper to mine. However rare earth elements are just that. Rare on earth. I honestly don't see hydrogen being made to work. However fossils are dead if we want to have any chance of saving ourselves.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I'd rather not f**k around with the moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ft016KwW4#ws

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh come on. How can you say humanity has ever lived if we don't blow up the moon! At least once. However not before the day someone defaces the moon by etching a giant butt into it.

DoomRulz

Rong

Rong

Close as your probably gon get  8)

/jk

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

And that's all he'll ever need. Do you know how unlikely it is to find a woman that doesn't ask you questions like a perpetual interview?

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 18, 2014, 02:24:21 PM
And that's all he'll ever need. Do you know how unlikely it is to find a woman that doesn't ask you questions like a perpetual interview?

Hey, she'd find a challenge in me :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed