Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2

Started by zuzuki, Oct 12, 2012, 06:12:16 AM

Author
Ridley Scott talks Prometheus 2 (Read 26,993 times)

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 17, 2012, 05:39:36 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 17, 2012, 05:06:04 PM
For all anybody knows of what a soul is, David could easily have a soul.
I think that's the insult, because before Weyland's comment we see that David has an interest in movies and his appearance; which he necessarily doesn't need to have an interest in since the humans are all in cryo (the whole making them comfortable thing).

Yes - it's quite possible that Weylands 'logical' approach to whether David could possess a soul or not, is not logical at all seen from Davids perspective. Who knows what kind of thoughts a highly sentient being develops on its own accord about that subject?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 17, 2012, 05:06:04 PMFor all anybody knows of what a soul is, David could easily have a soul.

Yup, and we would never be able to tell otherwise. I think that is the underlying fascination with Ridley's robots.

RagingDragon

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 18, 2012, 01:36:59 AM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 17, 2012, 05:06:04 PMFor all anybody knows of what a soul is, David could easily have a soul.

Yup, and we would never be able to tell otherwise. I think that is the underlying fascination with Ridley's robots.

I agree.  In order for a machine to simulate growth, or to be able to adapt to it's environment and truly learn, it must be able to reprogram itself, or add new programming on top of existing routines.  This involves changing at will, which is kind of a complicated way to say 'learning something.'

How fast could you learn if you could think five times as fast as you do now, remember and recall perfectly, and you were never fatigued or needed to sleep?

Another reason why I think androids can be creepy characters, and they always seem to reach some complex homicidal philosophy before attempting to murder everyone around them.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 18, 2012, 07:03:57 AMHow fast could you learn if you could think five times as fast as you do now, remember and recall perfectly, and you were never fatigued or needed to sleep?

And yet they never learn basic compassion, something that humans have in abundance. Even if they are programmed or learn how to 'feel' they always seem to miss that one fundamental concept. Robots are creepy because they are essentially psychopaths, and so from our point of view, soulless.

bobcunk

bobcunk

Do we know if David self aware or if he is just a computer that acts like a human. He appers to be interested in some things but is that true interest or just a good simulation of a human?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: bobcunk on Oct 22, 2012, 03:26:49 AM
Do we know if David self aware or if he is just a computer that acts like a human. He appers to be interested in some things but is that true interest or just a good simulation of a human?
We don't know. That's the trick.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Prometheus 2....really?  Prometheus 2??

Whoever wins, we lose.   :P ;)

Besides, the next thing we should be worrying about is how much Riddles will screw up the next Bladerunner.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 22, 2012, 04:37:41 AMPrometheus 2....really?  Prometheus 2??

Come on, tell me you aren't even a tiny bit interested in seeing the Engineer home world. Even just a teeny tiny bit?

whiterabbit

The funny thing about debating whether or not David(any android) has a soul is getting ahead of ourselves. We don't even know if a human soul even exists. The term soul, seems to be more of a concept than an actual, tangible thing.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 22, 2012, 09:52:36 AM
Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 22, 2012, 04:37:41 AMPrometheus 2....really?  Prometheus 2??

Come on, tell me you aren't even a tiny bit interested in seeing the Engineer home world. Even just a teeny tiny bit?

Nope, not even a bit.  And I trace that back to before even Prometheus was released...when we found out the engineers were just big blue "humans".   ::) ::) ::)

Now if they had kept the original Space Jockey as a truly alien organism (and not a dude in a suit), then I would have been incredibly interested in seeing their homeworld.

Now, alas, the only upcoming sci-fi feature films I am interested in, are Neil Blomkamp's "Elysium", and Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity".

Valaquen

Valaquen

If they do the homeworld, I want to see biomechanics, not just mechanics. Some of Gutalin's stuff showing biomechanic cities and landscapes are great. That and Giger's stuff (like his painting, New York) would be ideal. No more stripping it down.

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 23, 2012, 06:13:35 AM
If they do the homeworld, I want to see biomechanics, not just mechanics. Some of Gutalin's stuff showing biomechanic cities and landscapes are great. That and Giger's stuff (like his painting, New York) would be ideal. No more stripping it down.

I tried really hard to not have too high of expectations for Prometheus and I felt like that worked pretty well for me personally because I really enjoyed the film. But with a post like that Valaquen ... how can we NOT have high expectations for the Engineer home world? If it's not biomechanical (and even more so than the pressure suit) I think I might have to be disappointed.

I'd like to see some sort of harmonic symbiant relationship between the engineers and the alien gene. I was hoping for the facehugger to be a bastardized bio mechanical breathing apparatus that actually was designed to breath for the wearer. Maybe in Prometheus 2.

While we're at it ... how about seeing the function of the elongated penis shaped head of the alien being used to plug directly into a multi-vulvaed hive mine entity? The closest thing to 'God' we're going to see in Paradise I think.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Oct 23, 2012, 07:04:43 AM
world? If it's not biomechanical (and even more so than the pressure suit) I think I might have to be disappointed.

I'd like to see some sort of harmonic symbiant relationship between the engineers and the alien gene. I was hoping for the facehugger to be a bastardized bio mechanical breathing apparatus that actually was designed to breath for the wearer. Maybe in Prometheus 2.

While we're at it ... how about seeing the function of the elongated penis shaped head of the alien being used to plug directly into a multi-vulvaed hive mine entity? The closest thing to 'God' we're going to see in Paradise I think.
From what we saw in Prometheus I'd say that they were certainly exploring the concepts of facehuggers as breathing apparatus etc. I'm sure more bio-tech and its origins would be shown in any sequel.

T Dog

T Dog

Won't all the Engineers just be dead in Prometheus. I expect widespread devastation. Civil war between different sects.
Didn't Ridley say the eggs were for a war in the ALIEN directors commentary. Taking into consideration that he went with his "bomber" idea in regards the derelict I assume he's just going to go with the civil war story.

Anyway we are never going to get the Alien movie we all want ever again. Big budgget films are made for 13 year olds upwards these days. They can't get psycho sexual when they are aiming at kids.

zuzuki

zuzuki

Your theory is a bit flawd since the movie ended up with a r rating.
And just because he said 20 years ago he was thinking the eggs were for a war it doesn't mean the engineers were fighting between them. Back then he could have meant they were fighting other species. And by how things turned out in Prometheus it could mean that is the way the engineers dispose of their creations/experiments on all the different planets where they have been. At some point they had the eggs, in time they could have perfected the technology and used goo, or the other way around.

After they showed us the engineers in this movie, i believe they are not the kind of species that fights with eachother. Just a personal opinion but i don't think they like the idea of hurting eachother but more likely they all live in peace and work for a common goal. The last dude seemed displeased when Shaw got hurt by the bodyguard.
And to make the engineers have different factions and introduce a civil war,imo could be kinda cheesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed