LV-426?

Started by arachnophilia, Mar 20, 2012, 12:07:03 AM

Author
LV-426? (Read 34,934 times)

SM

SM

QuoteThey don't like other forms of intelligent life too much.

Is that why they tried to warn others away from LV-426?

QuoteIf you mean "humanity's only ship," sure, but I was referring to the crew in the film.  So far as we know, Weyland and company only brought one ship along. 

Fair enough.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Mar 22, 2012, 10:25:57 AM

That's hardly definitive in the story. Ripley said "looks like" doesn't mean it is. The warning could have just as easily, and was more than likely for it's own kind.

fiveways

fiveways

LV-426 still has a couple of sister moons as well.

Plus, personally I think they are lying about a few things to keep secrets and doing some of the "leaks" we have see to keep people guessing.

No one knows what planet it is.  We find out when something leaks or in the first few weeks of June, or later depending where you live.

SM

SM

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 22, 2012, 10:45:53 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 22, 2012, 10:25:57 AM

That's hardly definitive in the story. Ripley said "looks like" doesn't mean it is. The warning could have just as easily, and was more than likely for it's own kind.

Hardly definative?  It's a major plot point which proves correct.

And if humans sent out a warning, are we going to be picky about what language it's sent in?

arachnophilia

arachnophilia

Quote from: jeremy_ray on Mar 22, 2012, 06:03:49 AMI dunno, I guess there could be hundreds of ships with SJ crews in hypersleep, but it's pretty amazing for one group of SJ's to meet a new race and decide to go off and invade their homeworld, without telling the others.  It's pretty risky of the humans to sacrifice their only ship (that we know of) and hope the other SJ's don't notice the big explosion and crash. 

i have a theory about this.

i think that, at the beginning of the movie, the "space jockeys" are a long extinct, ancient race of biological engineers. the ampules contain their genetic code, which is what infects the crew. note that the alien we see walking around noticably varies in size -- i think he's a former member of the prometheus crew.

Quote from: jeremy_ray on Mar 22, 2012, 06:03:49 AMMaybe there are more ships but only enough SJ's left to crew one.

well, i think, either way the one on LV-426 is way, way older than this one. and that in this movie, it's really only that one ship they have to worry for the time being -- until the end, which might end on a cliffhanger of "but wait there's more!"

Quote from: jeremy_ray on Mar 22, 2012, 06:03:49 AMArachnophilia - Uranus's rings are pretty far from Saturn's rings. 

proportionally, uranus's rings look very much like saturn's. except that they're on sideways, because the planet's poles are roughly on the ecliptic, as opposed to roughly perpendicular to it.

Quote from: jeremy_ray on Mar 22, 2012, 06:03:49 AMThe change in landscape is more of a stretch.  I think it needs explaining, if it's the same place, but I've seen dumber things happen in movies.  Like the flashback scene in Robin Hood.  Ridley has shown us that there are times when he simply does_not_care.

and that's fine. maybe it's a f**k up. but considering the whole "not a prequel" schtick he's been on lately, i think the safer bet is on it being a different place. i mean, he'd have gotten the moon-of-a-ringed-gas-giant thing right. i think cameron even f**ked that one up. who remembers that kind of obscure detail?

SM

SM

Cameron reasoned that the primary was out of frame in the handful of space shots.

No idea if that was reasoning out a f**k up (doubt it) or explaining around a more expensive effects shot.

Mastes1

Mastes1

I have said this numerous times already on here but it doesn't make sense for this to NOT be LV-426 and the orig derelict.
The films set before ALIEN - check, The film is set on a similar planet to LV-426 which also just happenes to orbit a huge ringed gas giant - check, you have space jockeys in this - check, you have the space jockey ship in this - check, you have the space jockey ship CRASH in this - check!.
Its jusyt going to confuse way too many people who haven't been following this film as closely as we have if this isn't about the derelict and LV-426 etc.
The only way i could see this being about a different jockey/ship on a different planet is the sequel effect, obviously FOX will want a sequel if this does well and they wouldn't be able to really do that if this film leads right into ALIEN.
Apart from the sequel factor then i don't see what point it would be to do a film about a complete different space jockey who just happens to crash his ship onto a similar looking planet to LV-426 which just happens to be orbiting a ringed gas giant, come on now guys!.

NGR01

NGR01

I don't remember LV426 having that many Engineer's temples or ships ^^
Spoiler
[close]

Don PapI

Don PapI

I think it is

Ulfer

Ulfer

QuoteLV426 having that many Engineer's temples or ships

And mountains and plains like those in the picture.

Quotewhich also just happenes to orbit a huge ringed gas giant

A kind of planet that is everything but uncommon... And that is beautiful, picturesque, etc. : artistic decision.

I don't want to be "rude", but amongst the people that will watch the movie, there will maybe be 0,01 % of real hardcore fans of Alien. The percentage of people that will find that having taken a gas giant as background for the arrival scene of the Prometheus is a matter of confusion... is very small, sorry.

Quoteassuming for a second that the one on LV-426 is a separate ship, it could have already been there for centuries, millenia

Yes. Favorite solution.

There are already some matters of confusion between Alien and Aliens. It would be unwise to add a layer to them. But I don't understand why there is a debate, since it seems pretty clear it is not LV-426 !

Mastes1

Mastes1

Quote from: Ulfer on Mar 23, 2012, 07:37:00 PM

A kind of planet that is everything but uncommon... And that is beautiful, picturesque, etc. : artistic decision.

I don't want to be "rude", but amongst the people that will watch the movie, there will maybe be 0,01 % of real hardcore fans of Alien. The percentage of people that will find that having taken a gas giant as background for the arrival scene of the Prometheus is a matter of confusion... is very small, sorry.
But that was just part of what i said wasn't it and its besides the point, they could of easily of not had the planet obiting a ringed gas giant to stop confusion. Anyway i'm pretty sure Scott said the film was set in the same system ages ago so its either LV-426 or another orbiting planet.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Mastes1 on Mar 23, 2012, 07:44:15 PM
Quote from: Ulfer on Mar 23, 2012, 07:37:00 PM

But that was just part of what i said wasn't it and its besides the point, they could of easily of not had the planet obiting a ringed gas giant to stop confusion. Anyway i'm pretty sure Scott said the film was set in the same system ages ago so its either LV-426 or another orbiting planet.

I'm with the other orbiting planet group.  A sister moon to LV-426.

SM

SM

QuoteThe film is set on a similar planet to LV-426 which also just happenes to orbit a huge ringed gas giant - check

It's been pointed out numeorous times that the planets aren't similar in terms of weather and terrain, at all - CHECK!

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2012, 09:11:45 PM
QuoteThe film is set on a similar planet to LV-426 which also just happenes to orbit a huge ringed gas giant - check

It's been pointed out numeorous times that the planets aren't similar in terms of weather and terrain, at all - CHECK!

And the common counterpoint is "Who knows what happens to said planet in the last 11 minutes"[I think it was 11 minutes the trailer editor said he didn't have to pick from for the trailer].  The reverse terraforming idea has been brought up.  A terrible planetary catastrophe, endless things.  These beings have the power of gods, imagine what other weapons they have beyond the obvious biological ones....

None of us know what planet it will be till a really good round of spoilers/leaks comes out or until the movie hits theatres.  I haven't heard a definitive argument for either side yet.  That includes the production staff saying "It isn't LV-426" because, well, they have all the reason on earth to lie.

SM

SM

QuoteAnd the common counterpoint is "Who knows what happens to said planet in the last 11 minutes"

Besides the point.  From what we've seen it doesn't look anything like LV-426, and people are erroneously claiming it does.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed