17 days?

Started by Kimo, Aug 21, 2011, 02:16:21 PM

Author
17 days? (Read 3,540 times)

Kimo

Kimo

Hope someone can clear this up for me. I was gunna post this in the Alien film part of the forum but it seems to fit more with the ACM game.

Ripley: How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?
Hicks: [pause] Seventeen days.
Hudson: Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!* Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...
Ripley: Hudson!
Hudson: ...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
Ripley: Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.
[to Newt]
Ripley: Right?
[Newt apes a salute]
Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?
Ripley: You better just start dealing with it, Hudson! Listen to me! Hudson, just deal with it, because we need you and I'm sick of your bullshit

Ok i aint checked all the topics in this ACM part of the forum, so sorry if this has been said before. But what i understand is that this game takes place 11 months after Alien3. But when i watched the film Aliens, they were going on about waiting 17 days for a rescue team to arrive... Or am i wrong, that it would take 17 days before the rescue team would first be dispatched and could take months to get to LV426?

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Maybe other squads were sent every 17 days in between the 11 months prior to ACM since they all kept dying, and that's how there's still aliens on the planet and maybe the Sulaco. Just a theory.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Maybe the USCMC could detect the thermonuclear explosion and were waiting for the radiation to settle before sending anybody in.  Might not be a rescue mission, but an intelligence one.

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: King Rathalos on Aug 21, 2011, 03:48:18 PM
Maybe other squads were sent every 17 days in between the 11 months prior to ACM since they all kept dying, and that's how there's still aliens on the planet and maybe the Sulaco. Just a theory.

Maybe this is why the is still Aliens on LV426.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 21, 2011, 03:56:30 PM
Maybe the USCMC could detect the thermonuclear explosion and were waiting for the radiation to settle before sending anybody in.  Might not be a rescue mission, but an intelligence one.

i good point

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The '17 days' refers to how long until they're declared overdue. The actual rescue team wouldn't show up for sometime after that, due to travel time and such.

That's not a bad idea, actually.

WinterActual

WinterActual

And you think so far in the future they havent any suits that block the radiation? Dude just look at the guys with the pulse rifles in the end of Alien 3.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

This is how it works as I see it. We are a 17 day rescue/search team but the way it worked was like this, since Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop made it back to the Sulaco they no longer needed rescue but THEN ALIEN 3 happened and the ship when into some sort of emergency setting where it back tracked to LV-426 (Or Weyland Yutani took it back there) and at that point a 17 day rescue team went into effect.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

That makes the most sense.

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Aug 21, 2011, 05:27:20 PM
The '17 days' refers to how long until they're declared overdue. The actual rescue team wouldn't show up for sometime after that, due to travel time and such.

That's not a bad idea, actually.

Ok well thats what i was thinking and i understand that Hicks says 17 days before declared overdue. But the way Hudson go's on in Aliens, i was getting the impression that it would only be around 17 days before help came to LV426. (Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!*)

By the way does anyone know how long the marines in Aliens were in cryosleep before the got to LV426?  They might of been in cryo for months coming from Gateway Station to get to LV426 but that does not mean the rescue team would be months away. If you watch Titanic they set sail from Liverpool, but when the ship was going down the never waited for help from another ship to set sail from liverpool, they sent S.O.S signals to the nearest ships that were passing by. and one was only hours away because it was at sea in the same waters as Titanic.

So maybe it is the same for space, and maybe space travel is more common by the time Aliens takes place, then it was when Alien did... So it might be 17 days before the marines were reported as missing in action. But maybe an near by military/company spaceship might get the call to investigate after 17days, and that ship might only be hours or days away.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

I believe in the novel Hicks and Hudson have a short discussion of the trip being 1 month long.

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Aug 21, 2011, 06:13:55 PM
This is how it works as I see it. We are a 17 day rescue/search team but the way it worked was like this, since Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop made it back to the Sulaco they no longer needed rescue but THEN ALIEN 3 happened and the ship when into some sort of emergency setting where it back tracked to LV-426 (Or Weyland Yutani took it back there) and at that point a 17 day rescue team went into effect.

good makes the most sense.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Moss on Aug 21, 2011, 06:01:07 PM
And you think so far in the future they havent any suits that block the radiation? Dude just look at the guys with the pulse rifles in the end of Alien 3.

Those suits were designed to protect the Mercs from the facehuggers.  Caged helmets and acid resistant uniforms. 

And the radiation has to have been dealt with in another way since we see Marines in Hadley's Hope without any sort of protection on at all.

Either time, or something else the Marines take internally to block radiation.

In the book there were more than one atmosphere processor, so if even the one closest to Hadley's blew, there would still be more scrubbing the air.

I'll agree that if significant time has not passed during the setting of Colonial Marines, that there was probably a closer detachment of Marines on the shipping routes awaiting orders.

Don't forget that Burke weasled his way on the original expedition and most likely had something to do with Gorman being the leader (a rookie he could control).

Also don't forget at the time of the 17 days discussion the Marines had no way of communicating with the Sulaco and the Network (which allows for instantaneous communication).

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

I also think its unlikely it was a 17 day rescue but rather a 20 day but 3 days had passed while they were on LV-426.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed