The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 470,882 times)

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Naginata on May 14, 2019, 12:55:17 AM
See, here's the thing:
Spoiler

That's what doesn't work, I think - we can buy Season 1-7 Dany maybe doing something horrible with the best intentions, but this? This was her going out of her way to commit an atrocity for essentially no reason.
[close]

Spoiler
Once again, the signs were laid before you in past seasons/episodes, which is why you incorrectly conclude it was for no reason. 

If you'll remember, Dany had a vision in season 2 of herself walking towards the Iron Throne, but it was all burnt and ruined. That vision came true in episode 5.

Even creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff stated that "once Dany saw the Red Keep, which the Targaryens built but had been taken away from them, the unfairness of that huge familial loss washed over her. Presumably, the decades-long grudge for her whole family and herself took over. She took back the city by fire as if she were trying to avenge her Targaryen ancestors—and channeling their craziness, in the process."

And if you watch closely you can see the rage wash over her just before she began her death ride of slaughtering innocents.

Another sign you apparently missed, is Tyrion stating "half the Targaryens went mad," and Varys stating, "Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin and the world holds its breath."

And she was clearly sadistic like any true mad Targaryen. Just watch her reaction when she witnesses her own brother's head is melted off. She takes pleasure in seeing her enemies suffer.

Combined with her recent devastating losses and she thinks her lover Jon Snow betrayed her, all the ingredients were placed before you to see that she would become the latest of Targaryen Mad King/Queens.

I'm sure you already have an idea how many people her mad father slaughtered. The Mad King discussed burning all of King's Landing to the ground and killing everyone in the city. Sound familiar?

So, to modify your claim.......more accurately, it worked, it just didn't work for you.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

See, here's the thing:
Spoiler

Dany 'snapping' would be blowing up the Red Keep to kill Cersei, taking the city by force, and not giving a shit about collateral damage. She was deliberately targeting and mowing down fleeing civilians en masse, and she was doing it for a good 20 minutes. Those bells were the sound of her winning. She kept going, because she wanted to punish... who, exactly? The people of Westeros, for not showering her in adoration for parking an army of mass-murdering serial rapists on their doorstep? This wasn't her snapping; this was premeditated slaughter of innocent people for literally no reason.

That's what doesn't work, I think - we can buy Season 1-7 Dany maybe doing something horrible with the best intentions, but this? This was her going out of her way to commit an atrocity for essentially no reason.
[close]

Indeed!

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 14, 2019, 01:14:05 AM
See, here's the thing:
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Once again, the signs were laid before you in past seasons/episodes, which is why you incorrectly conclude it was for no reason. 

If you'll remember, Dany had a vision in season 2 of herself walking towards the Iron Throne, but it was all burnt and ruined. That vision came true in episode 5.

Even creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff stated that "once Dany saw the Red Keep, which the Targaryens built but had been taken away from them, the unfairness of that huge familial loss washed over her. Presumably, the decades-long grudge for her whole family and herself took over. She took back the city by fire as if she were trying to avenge her Targaryen ancestors—and channeling their craziness, in the process."

And if you watch closely you can see the rage wash over her just before she began her death ride of slaughtering innocents.

Another sign you apparently missed, is Tyrion stating "half the Targaryens went mad," and Varys stating, "Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin and the world holds its breath."

And she was clearly sadistic like any true mad Targaryen. Just watch her reaction when she witnesses her own brother's head is melted off. She takes pleasure in seeing her enemies suffer.

Combined with her recent devastating losses and she thinks her lover Jon Snow betrayed her, all the ingredients were placed before you to see that she would become the latest of Targaryen Mad King/Queens. I'm sure you already have an idea how many people her mad father slaughtered.

So, to modify your claim.......more accurately, it worked, it just didn't work for you.
[close]

Spoiler
I'm often a fence sitter in times like these, able to peer over both sides. I think both sides are right, but if I had a gun to my head and had to choose, I'd probably jump fence to sit on the "out of character" group.

Yes she's shown signs of rage in the whole show, but she's also shown plenty of compassion too. If you think back, she went through a lot of hard times and came out the better person in almost every exchange and that's been her journey for us as an audience - this poor girl went through hell and came out on top. It felt like the strong decisions she made were almost necessary to maintain her strength and she had the respect of almost every character.

At the wrap up though ( and this is probably where the bad writing comes in), there's very few reasons why she should just wake up in the morning and she's crazy ( because she's clearly lost the plot), particularly when the victory was hers.

Do I mind it? Nah, I can dig it, but I can definitely see why some people would be cheesed off. The progression to the madness is not there. It's more like she woke up on the wrong side of the bed and thought - f**k it the world dies today. Killing Varys didn't really achieve anything either, if they had real balls she should have killed Tyrion as well - How many times does the dude muck up and get's a free pass? Inconsistent here.

Overall they've left the show 3-4 episodes short of a finale, which is a shame. It's still a good show, it's just not been completed properly.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Old One's video of the cast mocking this last season takes the cake I think.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 02:03:27 AM

Repeating a video already posted in this thread......sorry, I didn't mean to stress you out regarding you missing the signs......... ;)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 14, 2019, 02:08:51 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 02:03:27 AM

Repeating a video already posted in this thread......sorry, I didn't mean to stress you out regarding you missing the signs......... ;)

You don't stress me out like the Martha defenders don't stress me out. But you seemed a bit stressed out. Sorry the majority doesn't see it your way, but I'm happy for you that you like it. That's all I got. Going tit for tat won't change each other's view, so it is what it is. I let you have the last word in our exchange, so that be that.

Local Trouble

Highland

Highland

I wonder if the show would have fared better had they switched the Long Night and this one. With an alternate reality obviously.

I think it would of, I think the show ended at TLN.

Local Trouble

It's called Game of Thrones for a reason.  The white walkers were really just a plot device for facilitating and complicating the ever-shifting alliances in the game, not the culmination of the game itself.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 02:16:55 AM
But you seemed a bit stressed out.

I claimed you were stressed out, so your reaction, you claim I'm stressed out.......That's clever, I don't think I have ever seen that tactic before. I will have to remember that one.......;)

Sorry the majority doesn't see it your way

First of all, I would ask........a second time......where are you seeing this majority, but you have chosen to end the exchange. Secondly, you seem to put a lot of stock in "majority." You should have more confidence in your logic without the need for endorsements. But thanks for sharing your thoughts, I did consider them to question the execution.

Quote from: Highland on May 14, 2019, 02:00:17 AM
See, here's the thing:

Spoiler

I can definitely see why some people would be cheesed off.
[close]

Imagine the parents shock who have named their child Daeneyrs or Khaleesi, or getting a Dany tattoo, which apparently has happened. Which bears paying attention to that old advice: wait till the series is over before naming children or getting tattoos. Now if I were a betting man, I would bet it was only the non-readers of the book that got a Dany tattoo.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 14, 2019, 02:30:37 AM
But you seemed a bit stressed out.

I claimed you were stressed out, so your reaction, you claim I'm stressed out.......That's clever, I don't think I have ever seen that tactic before. I will have to remember that one.......;)

Okay buddy. You so got me there. Remember, it's just a show.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 02:36:21 AM
Okay buddy. You so got me there. Remember, it's just a show.

So...more accurately.....you are selectively ending the exchange.  :P

If it's any consolation, I agree with you the average viewer may feel jolted. And if I were among the average viewers, who knows, I might have felt the same. But I posted here a while back I have a pretty extensive website section on Game of Thrones, so details were  permanently embedded through repetition. The average viewer is not going to drill into themselves every single dialogue, scenes, and character descriptions like I had to for that site section.

I'm not obsessed with GOT or a fanatic......Okay, I do have the Walder Frey pajamas, but that's where I draw the line.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to call it now: Dany and Jon both die, thus ending the Targaryen bloodline forever.  That leaves the newly legitimized Gendry Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End, as the closest thing to a rightful heir to King Robert's throne who then recognizes the North as an independent kingdom under Queen Sansa's rule.

The realm could do far worse and Varys will not have died in vain.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 14, 2019, 02:23:01 AM
It's called Game of Thrones for a reason.  The white walkers were really just a plot device for facilitating and complicating the ever-shifting alliances in the game, not the culmination of the game itself.

You could still have a scuffle between party's after the walkers are defeated. I mean this way it just seems like
Spoiler
Cersie wasn't really up to much in the end after all that. Kinda like your mate holding you back at the pub, when he knows you're gona get your ass kicked anyway
[close]

If Game of Thrones was a video game, every time you died you'd just end up on a beach

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 14, 2019, 03:09:36 AM
I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to call it now: Dany and Jon both die, thus ending the Targaryen bloodline forever.  That leaves the newly legitimized Gendry Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End, as the closest thing to a rightful heir to King Robert's throne who then recognizes the North as an independent kingdom under Queen Sansa's rule.

The realm could do far worse and Varys will not have died in vain.

There's a reddit with the whole show and apparently its been right up until now. You can find out there if you wanna spoil it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 14, 2019, 02:53:25 AM

If it's any consolation, I agree with you the average viewer may feel jolted. And if I were among the average viewers, who knows, I might have felt the same. But I posted here a while back I have a pretty extensive website section on Game of Thrones, so details were  permanently embedded through repetition. The average viewer is not going to drill into themselves every single dialogue, scenes, and character descriptions like I had to for that site section.

Your explanation doesn't account for the hardcore fans complaining too, one example of many being the IOIAF video I posted above. And the constant hardcore fans voicing their problems with D&D's work. So when it comes down to it, your opinion has no more weight than mine, and vice-versa. And it's okay to disagree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed