The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 470,852 times)

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 11, 2012, 08:23:49 PM
Quote from: First Blood on Mar 11, 2012, 08:14:52 PMWhat are some of your favorite moments from Season One?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zYeN9z8XY#ws

That whole ending was just so good. :)

I'm also really fond of the scene where Robert, Ser Barristan and Jaime are sharing war stories.

Quote"What did the mad king say when you stabbed him in the back? I never asked. Did he call you a traitor? Did he plead for a reprieve?"

"He said the same thing he'd been saying for hours, 'Burn them all.'"
Jaime gets a lot of undeserved shit for that, in my opinion.

Me and my brother had a long conversation about how Jaime is hailed as some treacherous little shit, when really he's not. Jaime practically avenged the death of Ned's father and brother. He most definitely saved the lives of thousands by killing the Mad King who would have burned anybody alive. And all he got back was the name Kingslayer and stink-eye looks by everybody, because he is an Oathbreaker. When, that Oathbreaker probably saved the lives of many by killing one man. Ned Stark has his head up his ass and can't accept that it was the right move because it wasn't honourable. Which brings me to how Eddard Stark is one hell of a big f**k up. His honourable moves basically gets everyone killed. If he had stood by Renly and taken Joffrey, Mycella, and Tommen from their beds, and held them captive and appoint Renly as King, then Ned wouldn't have died, Sansa wouldn't be a captive - and
Spoiler
the Red Wedding would never have happened, because Robb wouldn't have had to go to war, cross at the Twins, be betrothed to a Frey, break his oath by marrying another, and then die at the Wedding.
[close]
Ned's honor is one of the biggest killers of the entire story. Ever since I first red A Game of Thrones back in 2002, I've felt that Ned was a pain in the ass! Great character, but a pain in the ass all the same! HaHa

Back to Jaime - Jaime's story becomes one of the best throughout A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows - definitely one of the characters who pretty much makes a difference.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 08:28:56 PMMe and my brother had a long conversation about how Jaime is hailed as some treacherous little shit, when really he's not. Jaime practically avenged the death of Ned's father and brother. He most definitely saved the lives of thousands by killing the Mad King who would have burned anybody alive. And all he got back was the name Kingslayer and stink-eye looks by everybody, because he is an Oathbreaker. When, that Oathbreaker probably saved the lives of many by killing one man. Ned Stark has his head up his ass and can't accept that it was the right move because it wasn't honourable.

Spoiler
It makes me remember the talk he had with Brienne about breaking oaths. Like he said, he had taken oaths to protect the innocent when he became a knight and all other kinds of oaths over the years, making it pretty much impossible to uphold them all. Some had to be broken for others to be kept.
[close]

Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 08:28:56 PMJaime's story becomes one of the best throughout A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows - definitely one of the characters who pretty much makes a difference.

Yeah. I have yet to read A Feast for Crows, but he was my favorite POV character in A Storm of Swords.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 08:21:00 PM
I've noticed that most of my favourite scenes belong to characters who are either (in so many ways) villains, or loathsome people...however...the scene that the hairs stood up on my arms when it played out, which made me smile and continues to every time I watch it is when Robb becomes King of the North. The Greatjon Umber's speech is so powerful, and the music is incredible - sets the mood fiercely. And, when the Lords of the North all bow to Robb, putting their swords before them (even Theon), and Robb turns and his mother gives him the slightest of nods - I always think, "Wow! This is one of the most epic, emotional, and cinematic stories ever told!. "There sits the only King, I mean to bend my knee too. THE KING IN THE NORTH!"

Aye, the King of the North was a stunning scene to watch. That line, is just awesome.

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 11, 2012, 08:23:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zYeN9z8XY#ws

That whole ending was just so good. :)

When she emerged with her dragons you knew things were going to change. Just a matter of time. Oh how I fear for King's Landing. ;D

I am the blood of the dragon. 

Then of course there's...

Spoiler
Littlefinger's betrayal of Ned Stark. When that episode ended so abruptly – I had to pick my jaw off the floor.
[close]

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 11, 2012, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 08:28:56 PMMe and my brother had a long conversation about how Jaime is hailed as some treacherous little shit, when really he's not. Jaime practically avenged the death of Ned's father and brother. He most definitely saved the lives of thousands by killing the Mad King who would have burned anybody alive. And all he got back was the name Kingslayer and stink-eye looks by everybody, because he is an Oathbreaker. When, that Oathbreaker probably saved the lives of many by killing one man. Ned Stark has his head up his ass and can't accept that it was the right move because it wasn't honourable.

Spoiler
It makes me remember the talk he had with Brienne about breaking oaths. Like he said, he had taken oaths to protect the innocent when he became a knight and all other kinds of oaths over the years, making it pretty much impossible to uphold them all. Some had to be broken for others to be kept.
[close]

Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 08:28:56 PMJaime's story becomes one of the best throughout A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows - definitely one of the characters who pretty much makes a difference.

Yeah. I have yet to read A Feast for Crows, but he was my favorite POV character in A Storm of Swords.

Spoiler
Ahh Jaime and Brienne. I won't spoil anything, but where we're left off with A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons, I've gotta say - there is so many things to anticipate and look forward to in The Winds of Winter, but it's their story I am really interested in unravelling. They are very mismatched together, but, Brienne has basically made Jaime and honourable man.
[close]

It'd be hard going, but the best way to read A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons is either at the same time (up until the chapter of A Dance with Dragons called The Blind Girl, because that's where the two books meet up). Or, at least, read both books back-to-back. Because they are pretty much one single story of all the different characters but separated by two massive books. The five year wait that I lived through with so many others was annoying. Unlike many, I think they are excellent books too. Dark, slow, and moody - gearing up for Winter!

Spoiler
Littlefinger's betrayal of Ned Stark. When that episode ended so abruptly – I had to pick my jaw off the floor.
[close]

The delivery of the line as he does this is just excellent! My girlfriend was like  :o "NO WAY!" which followed by a series of shouts and swearing at the screen! haha

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Shasvre

Shasvre

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 12, 2012, 06:25:45 PM
Quote from: Michael Harper on Mar 11, 2012, 11:58:20 PMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXJklkmT3Q#ws
The Tyrell's are pretty awesome actually. Can't wait to see more of them in the show. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdjNlgV1UHE#ws

Yeah! They're brilliant. Especially the Queen of Thornes!

MrLee

MrLee

I shall be watching this tonight :)

My girlfriend tells me it is very good

m41guy

m41guy

My blu ray copy of season 1 showed up the day before I moved, so I can't even watch it on my laptop until I get my living room setup in my new home  :laugh:..... :'(

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: MrLee on Mar 12, 2012, 07:04:58 PM
I shall be watching this tonight :)

My girlfriend tells me it is very good

It's excellent :) Enjoy!

QuoteMy blu ray copy of season 1 showed up the day before I moved, so I can't even watch it on my laptop until I get my living room setup in my new home   :laugh:.....  :'(

That's a damn shame. :(

Shasvre

Shasvre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djDXKVLDeVM#ws

Edit: Here are the synopsis for the first five episodes.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=56300

Looks like the numbering continues directly from where Season 1 left of, with Episode #10.

QuoteEpisode #11: "The North Remembers"

Debut: Sunday, April 1 (9-10 p.m.)

As Robb Stark and his northern army continue the war against the Lannisters, Tyrion arrives in King's Landing to counsel Joffrey and temper the young king's excesses. On the island of Dragonstone, Stannis Baratheon plots an invasion to claim his late brother's throne, allying himself with the fiery Melisandre, a strange priestess of a stranger god. Across the sea, Daenerys, her three young dragons and khalasar trek through the Red Waste in search of allies, or water. In the North, Bran presides over a threadbare Winterfell, while beyond the Wall, Jon Snow and the Night's Watch must shelter with a devious wildling.

Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.

Episode #12: "The Night Lands"

Debut: Sunday, April 8

In the wake of a bloody purge in the capital, Tyrion chastens Cersei for alienating the king's subjects. On the road north, Arya shares a secret with Gendry, a Night's Watch recruit. With supplies dwindling, one of Dany's scouts returns with news of their position. After nine years as a Stark ward, Theon Greyjoy reunites with his father Balon, who wants to restore the ancient Kingdom of the Iron Islands. Davos enlists Salladhor Saan, a pirate, to join forces with Stannis and Melisandre for a naval invasion of King's Landing.

Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.

Episode #13: "What Is Dead May Never Die"

Debut: Sunday, April 15

At the Red Keep, Tyrion plots three alliances through the promise of marriage. Catelyn arrives in the Stormlands to forge an alliance of her own. But King Renly, his new wife Margaery and her brother Loras Tyrell have other plans. At Winterfell, Luwin tries to decipher Bran's dreams.

Written by Bryan Cogman; directed by Alik Sakharov.

Episode #14: "Garden of Bones"

Debut: Sunday, April 22

Joffrey punishes Sansa for Robb's victories, while Tyrion and Bronn scramble to temper the king's cruelty. Catelyn entreats Stannis and Renly to forego their ambitions and unite against the Lannisters. Dany and her exhausted khalasar arrive at the gates of Qarth, a prosperous city with strong walls and rulers who greet her outside them. Tyrion coerces a queen's man into being his eyes and ears. Arya and Gendry are taken to Harrenhal, where their lives rest in the hands of "The Mountain," Gregor Clegane. Davos must revert to his old ways and smuggle Melisandre into a secret cove.

Written by Vanessa Taylor; directed by David Petrarca.

Episode #15: "The Ghost of Harrenhal"

Debut: Sunday, April 29

The end of the Baratheon rivalry drives Catelyn to flee and Littlefinger to act. At King's Landing, Tyrion's source alerts him to Joffrey's flawed defense plan and a mysterious secret weapon. Theon sails to the Stony Shore to prove he's worthy to be called Ironborn. In Harrenhal, Arya receives a promise from Jaqen H'ghar, one of three prisoners she saved from the Gold Cloaks. The Night's Watch arrive at the Fist of the First Men, an ancient fortress where they hope to stem the advance of the wildling army.
Edit: Here's our first look at Jaqen H'ghar

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=56341

First Blood

First Blood

Nice, wonder if the fella behind him is Biter seeing as that guy still has his nose...

Darkoo

Shasvre

Shasvre

That's official? How cruel. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed