User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game of Thrones (2011 - 2019) / House of the Drago...  (Read 304568 times)

Voodoo Magic
May 17, 2019, 03:00:45 PM
Reply #4590 on: May 17, 2019, 03:00:45 PM
Q
Lel, just watched Ep5 and i don't get the fuss honestly.

This is a freakin fantasy entertainment show from the getgo and not Crime and Punishment. They inserted a halfassed twist with not much of a psychological foundation - welcome to televised fiction thats construed to be watched by more than three people.

Are they guilty of distorting the literary source? I dont know cause i havnt read it, but i doubt the guy was aiming at becoming the next Proust with a story about dragons and penises --

Arya has a new list.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glad it worked for you.

Don't get why it not beeing Proust or Dostojewski or having fantasy elements automatically absolves from anything though.

I appreciate your effort to back up her snap, but to me, this is an example of a desire to make something work, versus what works. If they actually conveyed prior more of the psychological strife your colorfully describing (I love your adjectives), the leap to mass murdering women and children not in a flash of rage, but in a long duration of genocide, would no longer be a leap in logic and in character, but a deliciously horrible turn of events in the Game Of Thrones television series. If you don't, their new Red Wedding moment becomes a wtf, which is exactly what occurred.

kwisatz
May 17, 2019, 05:32:03 PM
Reply #4591 on: May 17, 2019, 05:32:03 PM
Q

This is a freakin fantasy entertainment show from the getgo and not Crime and Punishment. They inserted a halfassed twist with not much of a psychological foundation - welcome to televised fiction thats construed to be watched by more than three people.

Are they guilty of distorting the literary source? I dont know cause i havnt read it, but i doubt the guy was aiming at becoming the next Proust with a story about dragons and penises --

Arya has a new list.

Glad it worked for you.

Don't get why it not beeing Proust or Dostojewski or having fantasy elements automatically absolves from anything though.

I appreciate your effort to back up her snap, but to me, this is an example of a desire to make something work, versus what works. If they actually conveyed prior more of the psychological strife your colorfully describing (I love your adjectives), the leap to mass murdering women and children not in a flash of rage, but in a long duration of genocide, would no longer be a leap in logic and in character, but a deliciously horrible turn of events in the Game Of Thrones television series. If you don't, their new Red Wedding moment becomes a wtf, which is exactly what occurred.

Yea look, i don’t want to force my view on things here on anyone. If the snap doesn’t work for you in the slightest, then that’s just the case and I actually feel a bit sorry for you that this may or may not ruin (or ruin in parts) a former beloved TV show. I think it would for me too.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:47:49 PM by kwisatz »

Biomechanoid
May 17, 2019, 06:17:50 PM
Reply #4593 on: May 17, 2019, 06:17:50 PM
Q

Referencing back to a point I made earlier, some  view "Game of Thrones" as "My Game of Thrones". Many just did not envision a character snapping in their version of My Game of Thrones.

There were signs throughout the series that Dany was heading towards madsville which many viewers, bloggers describing them anywhere from questionable to subtle to out and out red flags, that led them to believe she was descending from savior to murdering mad queen well before episode 5 existed.

Some call it a token shot or obligatory cheap plot device, but they did show her at the moment she snapped. Her facial expression displayed an eruption of rage moments before she launched her hellcat dive bomb.

Regarding the range of signs, I am partial to subtle type signs over out and out red flags. One of my favorite since you mention The Godfather is the subtle sign of Michael Corleone waiting outside the hospital with a family friend, fending off potential assassins.

The family friend was so nervous he couldn't light his cigarette, his hands were shaking so much. Michael lit the cigarette for him and discovered his hand was calm. First viewing that sign might be hardly noticed or even forgotten. But second and further viewings it becomes obvious how important that subtle sign marked his transition.

Local Trouble
May 17, 2019, 06:18:41 PM
Reply #4594 on: May 17, 2019, 06:18:41 PM
Q
I'm still convinced that, for all his ruthlessness, Tywin Lannister would have made the best king of Westeros.

Biomechanoid
May 17, 2019, 06:28:26 PM
Reply #4597 on: May 17, 2019, 06:28:26 PM
Q
I'm still convinced that, for all his ruthlessness, Tywin Lannister would have made the best king of Westeros.

Charles Dance is one of my favorite actors so I hated to see his character end. Through process of elimination, by default Tyrion is now officially the tallest Lannister.

When the series retained excellent writing, the Game Of Thrones or My Game Of Thrones, irrelevant.

There's that, but it's not impossible for both bad writing and the concept of My Game of Thrones to exist simultaneously. I wasn't suggesting that My Game of Thrones is the remedy for bad writing. My Game of Thrones is a separate aspect of the viewer mindset that has no bearing on the quality of writing.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:38:14 PM by Biomechanoid »

Local Trouble
May 17, 2019, 06:58:33 PM
Reply #4598 on: May 17, 2019, 06:58:33 PM
Q
I like to imagine a "what if" scenario in which Tywin took Arya with him instead of leaving her at Harrenhal.

Voodoo Magic
May 17, 2019, 07:01:37 PM
Reply #4599 on: May 17, 2019, 07:01:37 PM
Q

Arya has a new list.

Glad it worked for you.

Yea look, i don’t want to force my view on things here on anyone. If the snap doesn’t work for you in the slightest, then that’s just the case and I actually feel a bit sorry for you that this may or may not ruin (or ruin in parts) a former beloved TV show. I think it would for me too.

kwisatz
May 17, 2019, 07:16:45 PM
Reply #4600 on: May 17, 2019, 07:16:45 PM
Q
Referencing back to a point I made earlier, some  view "Game of Thrones" as "My Game of Thrones". Many just did not envision a character snapping in their version of My Game of Thrones.

It plays a part of course, depending on ones personality and how heavily you get attached to fictional content like that. Lately i really tend to feel for these people cause they are getting ruined huge part of their lives they depended on, so their outcropping is not something that should be ridiculed or even laughed at by folks who tend to be more above such things (I'm not implying you did these things here, don't get me wrong).

In this forum though I suspect the bigger part just being more or less pissed because poor writing happening, which I kinda won’t deny is actually an ongoing thing in this show and so many others, but at the same time i really think people should just lower their expectations at this point, for the material were talking about here is for sure is not playing in Dostojewskis and even not Sopranos league.

Dany is a fantasy character who lost her whole family, growing up with an abusive sadistic brother who gets repeatedly raped mentally and physically throughout the course of the show; now this alone nearly justifies snapping in virtually every borderline situation for me, again in a dragon riding zombiecalypse depicting fantasy environment. I mean lol people, come on.

There were signs throughout the series that Dany was heading towards madsville which many viewers, bloggers describing them anywhere from questionable to subtle to out and out red flags, that led them to believe she was descending from savior to murdering mad queen well before episode 5 existed.

Some call it a token shot or obligatory cheap plot device, but they did show her at the moment she snapped. Her facial expression displayed an eruption of rage moments before she launched her hellcat dive bomb.

Regarding the range of signs, I am partial to subtle type signs over out and out red flags. One of my favorite since you mention The Godfather is the subtle sign of Michael Corleone waiting outside the hospital with a family friend, fending off potential assassins.

Godfather is just the celluloid King in this league of subtle characterisation. Heres a sympathetic guy who at first view out of nothing commits to these in the beginning almost heroic and later horrendous ways to protect his family but then you realise that in the film its 1945 and the guy is introduced in his very first scene wearing a (i think even highly decorated?) military uniform. Hes the only one doing so at the wedding. Hes different. And thats almost all you need to know up to a point.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:25:59 PM by kwisatz »

LastSonofKrypton
May 17, 2019, 07:37:41 PM
Reply #4602 on: May 17, 2019, 07:37:41 PM
Q

I think Renly and Margaery would have made for excellent rulers.

How dare you fools overlook the brave and bold Janos Slynt!!  He has friends, powerful, important friends at court!  They will hear of this.  He will not have it, do you hear me?!  He will NOT have it!!

Voodoo Magic
May 17, 2019, 07:40:10 PM
Reply #4603 on: May 17, 2019, 07:40:10 PM
Q

I think Renly and Margaery would have made for excellent rulers.

Or pre-season 8, episode 5 Daenerys because before then, that woman was clearly not depicted as a crazy psychopath killer.  :P

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed