"Alien Resurrection", the Unproduced Script That Shaped Joss Whedon's Career

Started by Salt The Fries, Mar 09, 2011, 03:42:58 PM

Author
"Alien Resurrection", the Unproduced Script That Shaped Joss Whedon's Career (Read 1,574 times)

Salt The Fries

There is a feature on Joss Whedon's script for Alien Resurrection at PopMatters:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/137560-alien-ressurection-the-unproduced-script-that-shaped-joss-whedons-ca

Enjoy and (hopefully) discuss!

SM

Glanced over it.

Sentences like "While questionable choices were certainly made during filming in terms of direction, photography, design, special effects, and, in particular, casting and acting, many of the film's flaws can be equally attributed to the script" mean it's not a crawly ball licking of Whedon, and also mean I'll read it all when I get a minute.

Ta.

SiL

That was pretty interesting. Less about dissecting AR, and more about looking at how it paralleled Whedon's later career. No ball-licking indeed!

Mr. Domino

Great article. I've always been more of a Whedon-fan than most on this board, but the man is far from being able to do no wrong. I love the first five seasons of Buffy, I love Firefly and Serenity, and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is, short of The Sound of Music, probably my favorite musical ever. The final two seasons of Buffy are terrible (rather, 6 is terrible, 7 is decent, but the bad taste is still in your mouth), and what little I saw of Dollhouse was less than inspiring.

Resurrection is a source of interest for me purely in the actors it uses (everyone in that film is just a reminder of the fact that they've been in better films in the past), and the inspiration of the Betty crew on that of Serenity.

SM

Finally got round to readiing it.  Twas an interesting piece essentially about Whedon repeating himself (and his inspirations), withouth being overly critical or overly fawning.  Never got into Buffy enough to appreicate the parallels following her resurrection, but noticed the name Dawn follows the Alien android naming convention (and of course probably had a load more implications in the Buffy context I'm guessing).  The piece said the character parallels Call.

So we have:
Ripley 8 = Buffy
Call = Dawn

R (from Ripley) comes just before S (Summers)
C(all) comes just before D(awn)

oooooooOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed