An AvP Script I Did

Started by SiL, Aug 20, 2010, 10:47:32 AM

Author
An AvP Script I Did (Read 24,568 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Aeus on Aug 26, 2010, 12:37:12 PM
Surely the Psycho Predator would be basically blind if he was maskless in the middle east (heh, that could be your tagline)? Then again, if I remember my Attenborough correctly, the Snow Leopard lives in some Afghan mountain range. So I guess that would make it cold. But then that raises the question...Why would a Predator want to hang out in the cold (You're not allowed to say 'because he's crazy' :D)?
He's in the heat, so no worry there ... although if it was in the cold, it would hang around because it's stranded, and it can't exactly wander into the nearest town for help. And then it went crazy :P

He pretty much is blind, but he's not deaf :P

QuoteAre you going to keep the part where the UFO downs the chopper? My imagination sees that being hokey.
Helicopter part got ditched. On account of how lame it came out when I actually wrote it.

QuoteIn an earlier preview thingymajug you mentioned that the heroes would fight a bunch of insurgents at the beginning, but later you had the film (to my understanding) starting with the chopper flying over the mountains. Which is it?
It starts with two guys being chased down by another two crazy guys in a jeep. Kind'a like The Thing, but ... no, it's totally like The Thing. But in a jeep (It was a helicopter, but then I decided to be more subtle.) The beginning I'm pretty much leaving till last to work out; I'll finish the rest, then go back, because it's going to be the easiest part to change around.

I did have a 15-page opening written where they fight insurgents, but it had nothing to do with the rest of the movie and spent energy, rather than build it.

QuoteOh and, MANLIER character names are a must. The balls of this movie have to be grapefruit sized.
As I said in the thread, the names are pretty much placeholder, like the ones in this AvP script. They can be Find...Replace'd later :P

Aeus

Aeus

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to the completed version.  :)

one_ugly_mf

one_ugly_mf

man, that was some awesome fight pieces.

good writing,too. i could totally imagine what's described.

SiL

SiL

Cheers! :)

Burn the Floor

Burn the Floor

I only skimmed this (although I read more carefully during some of the fights), but this is freaking epic. You seriously wrote this in five days? It took me two months to churn out a fourteen-page script that was worth a damn. That being said, I love what you've done. This gets me all nostalgic. The Alien acts in a way it hasn't since Aliens, and chestbursting is scary again! And the Preds, while still elite, are evenly matched with the Alien as opposed to outwright pwning them. This has a crapton of potential, SiL, and I only wish Fox would grow the nuts to take the risk of producing this (or something like this). I look forward to reading it in its entirety, later.

one_ugly_mf

one_ugly_mf

really dig the balancing of species. each one is shown in full glory. alien is finally extremely f**king hard to kill - can't shoot them with normal bullets anymore ( opposite that shitfest - you know what i mean )

on a far range, predators have the upper hand, but once alien is anywhere near you, you're totally f**ked. again, a predator is not a pussy, and can put up a melee fight, but they are no frigging godlike no more.

and, that JP scene. i loved that bit )

SiL

SiL

I'm bumping this for the benefit of a Mr. Corporal Hicks, and to also belatedly say thanks to the last two posts' compliments ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm not reading the thread but I did want to say I was about halfway through it. I'm enjoying it so far - I love the Predators intro. Added a lot of personality into them straight away.

Loving the names. All of security being Alien 3 writers made me chuckle. I realise you've done it on purpose but it still made me laugh.  :) I'll finish the rest tonight.

the alien

the alien

Nice :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Little later than I said I would but I finished it. Really enjoyed it. The fights were balanced with no real bias to either species. I felt you included the right amount of character, however subtly, into both Predators and the Aliens as a species. The little moments like Warrior having his hissy fit were great.

Loved the egg morphing - knew it'd be in there somewhere - but I do wish we'd have had more Hive sections but I understand it only takes place in a single day so can't have everything.

Fights were brutal, showing off damage to both races so that's also awesome.

I feel you did need more work on the characters though. Keeping the number small was a good idea and I was surprised at what you did to the majority so that worked well but somehow, I don't feel we don't enough with the characters. The techs just sorta disappeared.

Over all, yeah, it's way better than AvP. Makes me miss writing.

SiL

SiL

Characters were going to be dealt with in draft two. Most of them are just ... there.

I wanted the script to be a bit longer, particularly in the second half, because I always felt once the creatures started going at it the movie charged on towards the end. Which is what I wanted, but it charges a bit quick. I could easily put another five, ten pages into it and not ruin the pacing.

Thanks for the comments, glad you liked it. We talked long enough about writing AvP scripts, so it was nice to finally get one done :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

You doing another draft?

I'll get there one day and do my own. lol

SiL

SiL

I'm honestly thinking of doing another draft now. It'd be fun to develop the story and get some practice in.

This script keeps popping up in discussions in other threads -- particularly between MadassAlex and Fuzion Predator -- and something that keeps coming up is the Predators' apparent downgrading.

This really was never the intention of the story. What was intended was this;

One thing I wanted to do was visualise the dynamic between the three species. Predators are superhumans, and at the beginning of the story attack exclusively from high vantages points; first trees, then rooftops. Humans are in the middle of the intergalactic sandwich, and stay on the ground pretty much the whole time. Aliens are the most basic and primal, the Freudian Id to the human Ego and the Predator Superego, and start by attacking from below.

But then the Aliens go and screw everything up. The Aliens are subversive and insidious, and when they realise their usual method of attack -- the access tunnels -- is blocked off, they're forced to spill up and out into everyone else's territory. The Id, suppressed first by the Ego (tunnels sealing) then the Superego (First hunt), reaches a point where its only option is to violently tear the other two structures down by assuming their positions. At this point the Aliens melt through the roof, and everything goes to hell. There is no order any more, and everything is replaced by the primal drive of the Aliens.

And so it goes. The humans offer no real resistance. The Predators are, at points literally, displaced by the Aliens and dragged down to their level, outside their comfort zone. Weapons break, technology fails, the superman is stripped bare -- exactly like how Arnie was stripped of all his technology and equipment by the original Predator. Except where Arnie could outwit an arrogant foe by using increasingly primitive methods to subvert the Predator's technology, here the Predator has nothing he can subvert. The Alien is simple, single-minded, unrelenting, devoid of arrogance and ego, of debatable intelligence but unquestionable sheer animalistic power.

For all the Predator's own undeniable strength and toughness, he's in the Alien's domain now. Before, during the hunt, he was in control, able to carefully select exactly the prey he wanted. He was pretty much able to play God -- the Aliens lived or died by his whim. He only killed one because he wanted a sure death; like the Warrior Predator he could have just shot as many Aliens as possible, but that wasn't his style.

TL;DR

The Predators were, sure, downgraded in the sense that they were stripped almost naked, but the intention was never that they would seem or actually weaker. I was always fascinated by the idea that if you threw these two creatures you could get such an interesting relationship going on, something more than Monster A tackles Monster B, and that's what I tried to do. The Aliens, either though intention or by virtue of their nature, exploited every potential weakness they could. The Aliens live past the first hunt because the Predators see this as a sport; the Aliens sneak and hide and ambush; they break weapons and destroy advantages, dragging everything down to their level.

The Predators don't die because they were made weaker, but because of the limitations written into the characters from the very beginning. Pretty much everything the Predators do is informed by something the Predators in the original movies did, in the same way everything the Aliens do is informed by actions in the Alien movies. I had no interest in rewriting the characters; I thought they were well diverse enough as it was to create a unique relationship without either getting f**ked over by plot convenience.

SM

SM

QuoteI'm honestly thinking of doing another draft now. It'd be fun to develop the story and get some practice in.

f**k that.  Practice on something original.

SiL

SiL

I'm starting filming something this Saturday. I can write in my off-time while FILMING something original.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed