Mechanics Needing To Be Changed

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM

Author
Mechanics Needing To Be Changed (Read 78,876 times)

Effectz

Effectz

you have to remember,sometimes ther shoulder cannon is the only weapon available that they can reach at the time,its pretty hard to die from the shoulder cannon,you gotta be standing still for it to hit you.You can see it coming from a mile away a big red beam and a glow as it charges all u gotta do is sprint,what your problem?

Tyranix

Tyranix

I never stop moving so disc kills only happen to me if I charge them head on.

Honestly played about a dozen games now, where all players pick pred, and they go for the shoulder cannon right off, sit up high where an alien needs to come out in the open to get too, or a marine can't see well. You see this happening in matches alot when they don't have preds to fight against, because often enough other preds can counter the effect

Not saying the weapon takes no skill, don't get me wrong, but how they use it is rather infuriating.

Inferno

Inferno

how about you being in a melee fight and the person jumps backwards and fires a charged plasmacaster bolt while doing so. Your reaction time is limited, he's fairly close so splash damage will hurt, usually your dead and he's still alive. very unfair for aliens engaging in melee. It ruins my precious pred on pred battles. Its retarded and juvenilee, it ruins the combat system. Id like for the caster to not be operational during a jump to fix this issue.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

The caster is fine, you can bob and weave around it from distance and up close can get you killed as well. Its the damn disc that needs some nerfing.

Drone23

Drone23

As the Predator I almost always go after the Shoulder cannon first, especially in a Predator Hunt Match, it almost gurantees atleast 1 kill, after that first quick kill I go and find my Spear, which does not give away you're posistion like the Disc/Cannon.

The disc is nice, it's spammable, and does not take energy but a good group of Marines should be able to take you down every time you try and use it, sure you will get the first Marine, but the next 2-3 should have enough skill to take you down, if not, it's their fault and you continue on you're killin spree.

I have been playing alot of Predator Hunt and I tell you what, the Predator is Not over powered, I have got into games where it seems like every Marine knows exactly what weapon you are going for and where it is, and the SG really evens the plain out, you see one of those, you get the hell out of there..

Last night I got 4 people in a row with the Spear on Gateway, I'm sitting ontop the colonies highest point watching 8-10 marines walking around doing their thing, and out of all these people I notice one or two standing still... yea those guys don't last long.. I have had people feet away from me get hit by the spear and I tell you what, theres nothing in game more exhilerating then seeing that...

"Edit" Forgot to mention.. as the Alien I would say I dodge 7-8/10 Plasma shots aimed at me, a quick pounce or sprint at the right time will avoid the plasma shot almost every time.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 23, 2010, 08:13:36 AM
Changing species mid match is the dumbest idea I've heard yet.
And that's the one thing I really miss from AvP2. But then, we don't have two sets of humans this time around, which changes things a bit.

But people leave mid game and teams go way out of balance, it would be nice to even them up a bit sometimes. Plus, I like being on the team with the least amount of people.

For DM and TDM it would be nice to be able to switch species mid game.

X-Rex

X-Rex

I would think I'd also hate being the only Marine, but then as it turns out you somehow have an advantage over the Aliens and Preds and can even come out on top every single match.

Its fun, way better than you would think.

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Auto-team balance is shit.

Changing species voluntarily is one thing, but being forced onto a different team because someone disconnected or rage quit is bullshit.  Especially when you get moved from the winning team to the losing team, or if you get separated from a friend or group of friends.

athlonix

athlonix

To whom it may concern;

I first like to congratulate you on the release of this title, and the success you've had in sales in the UK, and a generally good opinion by reviewers.
I myself do not have any ties to the development of games, or associated businesses but after much time on community sites I feel that I should bring forward people's concerns about your title.
I hope you will take this as a constructive criticism opposed to a bashing about all your hard work, maybe in a patch or a community update you could restore faith in the title and its IP.

Please take these notes as feedback from the community opposed to a biased view from one individual.  I hope you could respond to this e-mail with answers to these questions so I can act as an intermediary with the communities, and inform them that you are indeed on the case.

1)   
One of the most talked about issues is the lack of a crouch button; on numerous occasions being able to duck down behind something would have been invaluable.  People are lost as to how such an important feature was not featured in this title.  Numerous times people have been blown apart as there in a tight position but unable to duck.
2)   
Trophy Kills, while an excellent feature it does have its drawbacks.  One of them is the 'Conga' phenomenon whereby a TK animation is running they wait till it's finished then TK the person who just finished, unfortunately online this is leading to people almost forming a queue behind the Trophy kill in progress.
2a) People have suggested that TK's can be interrupted, by the person who instigated if there aware of someone sneaking up on them, possibly making TK's worth extra XP, but if interrupted or cancelled will negate the XP they would have gained, and only a complete TK will result in XP.
2b) Also some have suggested that a 'Gears of War' style button mash to decide the fate of a Trophy killer and his/her Victim, as people are disgruntled that if you get pulled into a TK your pretty helpless against your attacker, and suffer damage from getting them off? which is so hit and miss it's a scenario where most don't even bother trying. when in real life you'd fight back, not really get hurt from kicking them off, and only Stealth kills would be without a fight, as you'd not see the killing blow coming, against most said they should be far quicker and not a raw out animation.
3)   
People who have played the original series where disappointed that the weapons have been changed too much. 
3a) The spear is seen as a hand to hand weapon with equal damage to the wrist blades but can also be thrown if needed.
3b) Some have commented on the Disc, and how they'd like to see the disc returning to work like the original throwing it auto lock on, and if it gets stuck in a surface requires energy to return.
3c) The Flamethrower is almost classed as pointless, either make it more powerful, or possibly make it blind the person who is on fire, making them vulnerable.
3d) A few have complained about the Smart gun sound, a lot voiced wishes for the film sound to return.
3e) Lots of people have complained about the lack of some of the favourite weapons like the net gun, and the grenade launcher, people would like to see them return.
4)   
The survivor idea was excellent but maps were criticised for being too small, and unimaginative, and definitely not enough.
People feel that this idea was rushed or held back purposefully to DLC opportunities, I think with a free update of another 4 maps would settle your sceptics and people would happily pay for more after that.
5)   
Dedicated Servers, while you say these are in the works, people are tearing you and the title to pieces out of frustration with the matchmaking system in place, you should make a statement regarding the situation and when the community should expect its arrival. An official statement will definitely settle the waves currently being made in the forums, this will also reassure people starting to distrust the statement you previously made about the dedicated servers.
6)   
Title Support, people have been reading the Gamespy article regarding your success with AVP and the sequel.  A Large majority feel that you've hung them out to dry, with no future support for the title since your already talking about a sequel.  The community feels that the title requires some work as it's not as good as the two previous titles, from balancing issues, to the lack of multiplayer maps, and additions like the extra weapons.  There is a distinct line of thought of boycotting your next title due to this one, not being what people were expecting, and that you're not supporting the title in the immediate future. 
7)   
While the community appreciate that the issue of balance is very important, one comment which keeps coming up, is that the game isn't 'Fun' anymore, you've done a great job making a new modern game, but through the lack of marine weapons, and predator weapons, to maps, and some gameplay issues it's not what the community were expecting nor are they really getting into it.  The community would like to see a game well balanced but more 'fun' I appreciate the trouble this can be to do, the consensus is that the game has been simplified too much for the casual user, which has ruined the 'feel'

PC users feel particularly disgruntled, as they are used to a much more completed feel and thought the game wasn't polished missing some of the best bits? 
Xbox/PS3 users think the game is good, but will didn't think it was fully realised.

Most comments were from PC players, but Xbox players too commented on these points too.

Best Regards,

Luke Taylor (Athlonix)

Wrist Blades

Quote from: athlonix on Feb 24, 2010, 10:15:23 AM
To whom it may concern;

I first like to congratulate you on the release of this title, and the success you've had in sales in the UK, and a generally good opinion by reviewers.
I myself do not have any ties to the development of games, or associated businesses but after much time on community sites I feel that I should bring forward people's concerns about your title.
I hope you will take this as a constructive criticism opposed to a bashing about all your hard work, maybe in a patch or a community update you could restore faith in the title and its IP.

Great and informative post. This one deserves a look-at by the devs. I wish you had mentioned the lack of server-side variables though. :)

Shardik

melee combat range - broken
stealth kill mechanic - broken b/c there is no way to free comrades and it still teleports you back after you should have evaded it or you had turned around
smart disc - abused in terms of spamming and to powerful
graphical glitches occuring on many levels where the map seems to disappear from sight
player matches constantly crashes the game for people almost in a Russian rootlet way

This is all in relation to the PC but im sure the consoles are having some of these problems 2. The game just screams "rushed."

cabbageheat

I'd like to just add, again, my support for a crouch button.

I found it hilarious last night, playing the marine campaign, watching my enemy (synthetics) crouching and leaning to avoid fire, and having far more options in combat then I did. 

And I could only stand there.  Could not crouch behind the crates scattered everywhere.  My only option was to shoot fast, or, back up.  "Backing up" is not a fun combat tactic.

Crouch is needed, it could have been used, and should be implemented if at all possible.  And, I'm sorry, but there were plenty of times I could have used iron sights as well, but....well...whatever. ::)

Dusk

Dusk

After playing the Marine Campaign, I agree that the Marine needs the ability to crouch. It's retarded. I fight against several combat synthetics and the only options I have is to strafe left and right, back away or hope that I can find a box on top of another, so I can take cover. All the while watching the Synthetics crouch behind crates and take cover. Even Tequila does it, but apparently we have no knee joints.

Brother

Brother

True. And will be very useful in MP and allow you to take cover and heal/reload or just ambush anyone, behind an object in the map. Lawl developers tried so hard to convince us that we don't need it.

SoggyWorm

SoggyWorm

Plus crouch might even give Marines a better chance to dodge the disc lol. I'm being serious btw.

EDIT: For example, *disc coming towards Marine, Marine crouches at the last second and dodges*. Of course it may not be going straight, but my point is it will give Marines a BETTER chance to dodge the disc. Plus crouch makes you smaller and harder to aim at or see.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed