Predator Money?

Started by megachu17, Oct 31, 2009, 02:02:08 AM

Author
Predator Money? (Read 3,400 times)

megachu17

megachu17

Okay, so, because I have very little life, I'm thinking about concepts that might work for a Predator RPG, and I'm kinda stuck on the monetary system. What kinda money would Predators use? Credits? Would it be a traditional economy, based on trade, since they're very tribal? They also focus on honor(I'm going with yautja-based concepts of Predators by the way), and money dosn't exactly lead to honorable behaviour, so would they even have an economic system? Any ideas?(I came to the question from my RPG, but its an interesting question to ask in general)

Personally, I have no idea. I'd say trade-based, but its a very short leap from that to representitive money, and etc., which I'm not sure they'd use sooooo.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Teef. :3

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

The general consensus (although this is unsubstantiated) is that Predator Hunters attain new gadgetry as they complete more hunts and attain greater status within society, rather than use any set system of currency.

megachu17

megachu17

But they have to get the gadgets from somewhere. Are they just granted them? Like, every new hunter gets wristblades standard? And ultimatly they come from somewhere. I'd think at some level there'd have to be some kind of economy.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: megachu17 on Oct 31, 2009, 02:02:08 AM
I'm kinda stuck on the monetary system. What kinda money would Predators use? Credits? Would it be a traditional economy, based on trade, since they're very tribal?
Have you only games in mind (as source), or books too? (To be clear)

Quote from: megachu17 on Oct 31, 2009, 02:02:08 AM
(I'm going with yautja-based concepts of Predators by the way),
It's my Universe.  ;D

megachu17

megachu17

I'm thinking like, in general. Any specific ideas?

keylight-di

keylight-di

O.k. Let me try...  :)
There are two ways:
Mr. Shirley-way – as Hish they don't need money, because they have slaves. And slaves-species are producers everything what is needed.
Mr. Perry-and-others-way (more ambitious IMO) – and I'm going to go this way.

If it so – they must have another social groups, like engineers (who make this splendid spaceships, weapons), medical (it's a bit dangerous to be  Yautja-hunter), caste religious, artists etc.
They must have some kind of currency exchange. But I don't find any examples in books.
My own, belief is that the honorable Yautja do not make slaves of other species.  It just isn't done.  Using someone of a lower rank to perform tasks for you, would take away respect from you.
Maybe there are something like the caste system of India. There's probably castes within castes, or in this case, a clan may be apart of a certain caste, and within that clan, there are more castes that divide the clan up even further.
A good example I remember is the second AVP comic book (War). There's a good page in the book where it shows the slums, which Noguchi calls "the pit".
It does not show the lower castes as "slaves" per se, but they probably do most of the dirty work.
To me, the Yautja are not only warriors, but they strike me as very spiritual (native American type really).
But we know only one caste – hunters. Other parts of Yautja society are hidden, on mother-ships or homeword. We can only speculate.
It' of course only my personal ideas. I hope it's usefull and comprehensible.  ;)
RPG it's a kind of fan fiction. You must be creative at all.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Predator money?

hmmm.....why not, if us humans are already making space currency  http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=6514.0   then i don't think that pred money is out of the question.

keylight-di

keylight-di

I don't think they use simply money. It's to abstract and contractual. They don't carry on trade with others species. They are self-sufficient hunters. If you are hunter, you don't trade with your prey.
Between them carry out more barter, I think.

megachu17

megachu17

Oh, when I ment trade I ment like, as an internal economy("I have pelts, you have some extra knives, lets trade"), not like, interspecies trading. And trade quickly leads to a monetary economy and from that to credit-based economy, so thats the logical idea, but it dosn't fit them(in my opinion) sooooo...

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Predators with money make me cringe *ugh!*

megachu17

megachu17

Fanboy preferences aside, I'm talking from a practical standpoint.

SM

SM

From a practical standpoint, I'd be very surprised if an advanced interstellar race DIDN'T use money.

megachu17

megachu17

Likewise, but it dosn't seem to fit with the tribal element of them. Could they maybe use something less...obvious? Less expected? :-\ hmmm

SM

SM

You can argue the tribal element till the cows come home - the fact is they have highly advanced weaponry and spaceships.  They must've gone way beyond barterring.

In those terms you could compare them to Star Trek - I still don't know how they 'evolved' beyond the need for money.  If you could work that out - you might be able to apply the same principle to Predator?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed