Okay
94 (27%)
Good
65 (18.7%)
Great
37 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author
What did you think of AvP? (Read 87,791 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Hyperdyne on Feb 09, 2009, 06:07:38 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 09, 2009, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: Hyperdyne on Feb 09, 2009, 04:26:05 PM
I never got the reason why some complain about Predators being bulky. And that comes down to the same argument. Cause people look at Predator movies, instead of AVP comic book where Predators were enormous and had so much armor, and not because of the art, which was very realistic. Bigger and bulkier predators were hunting aliens. And note the armor on Broken Tusk too

Because in the comic, the artwork can still make the Predator look somewhat slim. Transferred over to the screen, you end up with a creation that looks massive and hinders the actor's performance.

Still, AVP remained very truthful and accurate to AVP look, down to the armor and size

But that accuracy doesn't translate over well to the screen. Adapting the story is one thing, but that doesn't mean every aspect of the comic works well in a movie.

Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 10, 2009, 04:49:45 PM
Quote from: Hyperdyne on Feb 09, 2009, 06:07:38 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 09, 2009, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: Hyperdyne on Feb 09, 2009, 04:26:05 PM
I never got the reason why some complain about Predators being bulky. And that comes down to the same argument. Cause people look at Predator movies, instead of AVP comic book where Predators were enormous and had so much armor, and not because of the art, which was very realistic. Bigger and bulkier predators were hunting aliens. And note the armor on Broken Tusk too

Because in the comic, the artwork can still make the Predator look somewhat slim. Transferred over to the screen, you end up with a creation that looks massive and hinders the actor's performance.

Still, AVP remained very truthful and accurate to AVP look, down to the armor and size

But that accuracy doesn't translate over well to the screen. Adapting the story is one thing, but that doesn't mean every aspect of the comic works well in a movie.

Some might like it , some dont. But the fact remains it was an AVP movie based on comic that basically was the AVP franchise and started it all, instead of being just a movie with aliens and predator in it and not having anything to do with the 'breed and hunt' story

Nightmare Asylum

Was going to put good, but put great because of its rewatchability.

Sgt.Torque Reikan

In some aspects it hit a home run cinemtography, lightingGENERAL design of the creatures is insainly good the set up is great as well... its just the dilvery and the bloopers in has with alien and PREDATOR facts (example the discusting team up)dialouge could of been better and it really wasn't nessicary to have a ripley rip off, if a movie is gonna stand on its own it has to have its own protaganist to make you enjoy it. I don't see everyones beef with the predators some shots they look like f**king retards but others they look god like. The final fight scene with the queen was really enjoyable to watch. Slo mo didn't ruin the movie for me but it made me somewhat annoyed this is AVP not matrix (although I did like the shuriken slow mo ;) ) overall It wasn't good it wasn't bad it was just OK compared to avp:R its a 8/10 why? cause the only thing AVP:R did right was give us some gore... and spoiled all the good stuff in the 1st trailer :-\ but hey its fox I look foward to the future as I see AVP3 the game and Colonial marines and even a new PREDATOR movie on the rise hopefully everything will be back in order but thats a big hopefully ;)

Sgt.Torque Reikan

Quote from: Darkness on Nov 28, 2006, 09:09:30 AM
Yeah, it still surprises how this guy still keeps getting work.

event horizon thats why, you got to admit he was doing OK for a director I went into AVP thinking it was gonna be a great as his event horizon.... not really :-[

SM

SM

He didn't write EH. 

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And it still sucked.

The Demon

The Demon

The movie just seemed too kid friendly. Yeah, I know its based on the comics but weren't the comics very nasty too? I just think it sucked. All the Alien and Predator parts. Some might of been entertaining but seeing this compared to the original movies (yes I will because that's where these characters came from) makes me want to vomit. I put disappointing because I didn't completely hate it. Its entertaining but the fan in me that takes it seriously was very disappointed it it.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

I thought it was a very good movie. I didn't care for the violence, there was enough to be exciting and I thought it was well thought out, such as the slow motion shuriken rather than just hack and slash. I liked the plot and the setting. I was and still am unconcerned about the design of the creatures and they do not affect my enjoyment of the film.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: The Wolf on Apr 29, 2009, 10:28:15 AM
The movie just seemed too kid friendly. Yeah, I know its based on the comics but weren't the comics very nasty too? I just think it sucked. All the Alien and Predator parts. Some might of been entertaining but seeing this compared to the original movies (yes I will because that's where these characters came from) makes me want to vomit. I put disappointing because I didn't completely hate it. Its entertaining but the fan in me that takes it seriously was very disappointed it it.

No, the comics were actually fun. They were action-packed, entertaining, and intense; three words you can't really use to describe AvP. The Alien sequences in AvP were good, but the Predators were just bleh that I can't enjoy the film, on top of all the other problems with the movie.

SM

SM

QuoteAnd it still sucked.

Not nearly as much as AvP.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It was worse than AvP IMO. EH didn't make any sense to me; I literally was lost halfway through.

SM

SM

Should have watch the whole thing then.  ;D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Wiseguy lol. The film felt like a waste of Sam Neill's talents. Kinda like Michael Caine in Jaws 4

SM

SM

I dunno if it was a complete waste.  Neill was pretty good in EH - not outstanding, but then there's very little about that film that is outstanding.  But it is solid.  Much more so than AvP.  Both films suggest Paulie would be more at home as an art director or DP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed