a rant

Started by genocyber, May 14, 2008, 08:30:36 AM

Author
a rant (Read 1,892 times)

genocyber

genocyber

This is abit of a rant here,to get some things off my chest.This does not go out to any members here but just the majority of the fanbase itself I see. Be warned some things I may say you might not like,here goes.

First off,I have to say this place has a very cynical attitude towards ANYTHING alien/predator related whenever something is released.You people(I dont mean all but some) constantly bitch,moan and complain about every single little thing.

When AVP1 came out the fans were just simply GLAD that it was being made at all.I know I was.It was bringing back both A franchises from the brink of death and possible cheap remake trends we see in theaters to dead movies.Then,when it came out....people bitched.People are entitled to their own opinions but this place really went f**king overboard.True,AVP1 should have been more than it was but it was a f**king Alien VS Predator movie! How often do we get a golden opportunity like this outside of comic books?!

The Paul Anderson witch hunt began.Sure,sure,their are other directors out there who could have done a better job but did any of you stop to think about how LUCKY they were to get him rather than a shittier director like Uwe boll?

The fans often say the franchise should be handled with people who care for it rather than make a quick buck and thats what PA did.He didn't have to go as far as he did to make the aztec pyramid and pour all the beautiful art into it.He didn't have to try to make the Aliens and Predator fight at all.He could have just left this movie and who knows? Maybe it would have been shelfed again for a number of years.

And dont give me that "Predators got their asses kicked" argument.The competition varies to keep the audience guessing on who will be the true winner.They did that in King Kong vs Godzilla and I dont hear anyone pissing or moaning about that.The movie all the fans kept begging for was finally given to them and the majority of the fanbase shuns it and treats it like dirt,since it wasnt as good as the originals.

then AVP2 comes along.The same thing happens again.Fans praising the new directors for giving them another movie of their favorite monsters on set but when it comes out....bitchity,bitch,bitch,bitch!

The movie tried harder to be like the originals the fans loved so much.The directors took time out of their day and busy schedule which they didnt have to at all to talk to the fanbase and see what they like and dislike.

They worked their asses off trying to make the best damn movie they could for us and how does the fanbase respond?

"BOOO!"
"AVPR sucked!"
"AVPoo!"

Yeah,real f**king nice way to THANK these people who worked their fingers and bodies to the bone to make this film for you.And dont bitch about the script.Directors had no control over that.

Their was a proper way to handle this called positive critique.Taking what could be improved and have it shed light upon,but no.All people did was call them hacks,terrible directors,ruining the franchise.

These are people like us that read these messages.How do you think it makes them feel? Does insulting them make you feel better or somehow improve the film at all?

I dont want to call the fanbase ungrateful,but alot of people seem to lack proper appreciation and thanks where its due to these directors who went the distance for us and did it for US! Not the money,for us! The fans!

We often make excuses that if "Ridley Scott" or "James Cameron" should be in charge of AVP movies or supply the idea train but truth is,these people are busy directors and if they really wanted to be part of the project we would have heard about it.Think about that.

The fans nitpick and bitched "the aliens got their asses kicked" in the movie.Well no shit! If it was only one alien it wouldn't be that interesting would it? The title was ALIEN'S hence lots of aliens.You cant have the aliens go through the whole movie without a majority being slaughtered.People would just get up and leave out of boredom in the theater.Also,think back to Aliens movie when it came out.They were slaughtered like cattle in that movie from marines.Weaker and lesser beings to a predator and if they got as far as they did,how do you think an experienced one would fair? Obviously alot better.

So,what we see here is fans conflicting with themselves.They don't like to see the aliens lose nor see the predator but,its a VS movie! Someone has to go down at the end,even if its a draw.

The directors tried so hard for us and we spit in their faces for their efforts.Not only are we not being fair but disrespectful and the ones who do this should be ashamed for their malicious comments.

Colin Stause is a hero in my eyes for making an AVP movie since it wasn't high in demand at all and I damn well enjoyed it and I look forward to the third one he wants to do.

There,this is my opinion.I have said my peace.That is all.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

They got our money.  That is all they were owed.

Respect and adulation is not earned merely by making the film/s.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way at all...just truthfully. 

Highland

Highland

Pleasing fans should be background to making a good film. Funnily enough if a good film is made then it usually pleases the fans. Iron man is a about as good an example as you'll get. Not that much action, no gore, just a solid movie.

I don't really like the "we are lucky" way of thinking either, we've been anything but lucky. Lucky would have been AVP getting sh*t canned and another stand alone made.

Aran

Aran

wonder wats wit him...  ;D

SM

SM

QuoteThe directors tried so hard for us

:D

Back under your blanket to film another 'LEAVE THE STRAUSES ALONE' spot for Youtube...

nexus

nexus

I'm with Geno. i liked AVP and AVP-R and although they werent masterpieces they could have come out worse.

roll on number 3 but lets hope things are a little better this time around

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: nexus on May 14, 2008, 12:54:08 PM
I'm with Geno. i liked AVP and AVP-R and although they werent masterpieces they could have come out worse.

Except that wasn't really the point of his rant...he's saying that we should be grateful to Da Brotherz simply for making the film at all.  That they did it for us, so we should swallow down any negative criticisms.

That, and that he considers Colin a hero.  Pardon me while I vomit into a hat over that overused word that does not apply here in the slightest.

The only thing I agree with is that the personal attacks often go way too far.  To use a colourful metaphor to describe their directing is one thing, but to lambast them as people is a bit much.

Craig

Craig

Quote from: genocyber on May 14, 2008, 08:30:36 AM
They worked their asses off trying to make the best damn movie they could for us and how does the fanbase respond?

"BOOO!"
"AVPR sucked!"
"AVPoo!"

Yeah,real f**king nice way to THANK these people who worked their fingers and bodies to the bone to make this film for you.And dont bitch about the script.Directors had no control over that.
Hi, read my sig  :)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

The biggest and only major problem I have with this movie, is that the Aliens were not treated with the respect they deserve, the alien fans were sh** on, I enjoy this movie, but i mean, c'mon.

avpmad!

avpmad!

the aliens werent given the respect they need, they shouldnt have killed the predator, but they should have done some damage, i was happy to see the predator wipe the floor with them, but really it didnt make the movie good, also why the f*ck is the predator sooooooooo shit with the shoulder cannon!!!? pissed me off a lot that

brad873

brad873

Alien fans had the shit kicked into them in this film. this isnt just some movie, those creatures are what we grew up with, they are a large part of our memorys. Aliens are not for newbie directers, they are the great monsters of film. i just wonder how H.R.Giger feels about what has happend to his monsters

Xhan

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

First off,I have to say this place has a very cynical attitude towards ANYTHING alien/predator related whenever something is released.You people(I dont mean all but some) constantly bitch,moan and complain about every single little thing.

Wrong. You'll see the 'Colonial Marines' game getting lots of positive attention, because, so far, it's putting out lots of positive signals (gaining Syd Mead's talents was such a thing, in my view).

You will, however, see people complaining about things they genuinely did not like or at news of someone being involved in something related, who has a track record of doing things they do not like.

Just for the record, this sort of things is why I repeatedly said I would reserve my judgement about the film until I viewed it. :)

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Well then these lazy f*cking people shouldn't be in the business in the first place, should they?

"Oh. Paul Anderson didn't HAVE to do the aztec pyramids, but he did!"

I would have been happier if he didn't, to be honest.

On the other side though, when you're making a feature film which has a very big following, you BETTER be prepared to bust your balls and not get lazy with the goddamn thing.

Damn right we're gonna critique the shit out of the things we don't like, because we don't like them for a reason. I would have preferred, yet again, like you said, if Paul Anderson left the thing alone.

genocyber

genocyber

QuoteOn the other side though, when you're making a feature film which has a very big following, you BETTER be prepared to bust your balls and not get lazy with the goddamn thing.
Well he did make Event Horizon,so at the time he seemed like a good choice didn't it?

QuoteAlien fans had the shit kicked into them in this film. this isnt just some movie, those creatures are what we grew up with, they are a large part of our memorys.
Ahem,refer to this for your answer.
Quotethink back to Aliens movie when it came out.They were slaughtered like cattle in that movie from marines.Weaker and lesser beings to a predator and if they got as far as they did,how do you think an experienced one would fair? Obviously alot better.

QuoteBack under your blanket to film another 'LEAVE THE STRAUSES ALONE' spot for Youtube...
haha,that made me grin ;D

QuoteI don't really like the "we are lucky" way of thinking either, we've been anything but lucky. Lucky would have been AVP getting sh*t canned and another stand alone made.
I honestly doubt that we would have gotten another Alien film made.It had been 7 years since Alien 4 came out and their was no talk or interest in the company to start making more.Plus,the story was come to a close so AVP was the only logical choice to do.If anything,these VS movies strengthen the chance for stand alones more than ever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed