Egg Morphing in AvP2

Started by jimmylace, May 07, 2007, 04:24:31 PM

Author
Egg Morphing in AvP2 (Read 27,061 times)

SiL

SiL

For the record, The Book of Alien which explicitly states that the Alien cocooned its victims for more eggs was first published in '79...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I have the Book of Alien and Gigers Alien but haven't gotten around to reading either.

I just got the omnibus of the Alien series novelizations and am trying to knock it out first.

Interesting that they left out the jockey alien completely in the Alien novelization, and the facehugger appears to be that of AvP disc fame (or an early incarnation).

SiL

SiL

The Jockey was in-and-out for a lot of the production - ADF wrote when it was out. The hugger is the early design with an eye on the back of it.

SM

SM

Even with the lack of the Jockey, Dallas and co find the broken, empty urn - ie. empty egg.

If memory serves the Jockey was deemed to be too expensive by the studio, and the Scott, Shusett et al. had to fight to keep it in.

Jungle Hunter

Jungle Hunter

man egg morphing confuses me i thought you need a queen and how do aliens cacoon in the first place they dont have any places to shoot out the gunk or anything like that?

SiL

SiL

They have mouths.

Jungle Hunter

Jungle Hunter

i no but it would take awhile to spit up all that gunk and by then the human would probly just boot it or some thing i sure as hell would i dont care if i die ill beat the ugly basterd

SM

SM

We have no idea how longit takes to secrete resin.  Probably failry quickly considering the timeframe Alien takes place in.  And they don't just have mouths....

Jungle Hunter

Jungle Hunter

yea they have to use the batthroom maybe they will have the common sense not to leave the toilet seat up lol

Highland

Highland

Good debate here, I dont have the skill or knowledge to back up my opinions so I wont try!!

I'm not doubting the Aliens Ability to make a host into an Egg, I think the whole thing is debatable though, after all was'nt brett involved in this somehow? I remember reading something somewhere about Brett?

Perhaps the Alien has the ability to actually impregnate the host, perhaps explaining why it seems so lethargic in the final scene?

SiL

SiL

Brett was turning into an egg.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: SiL on May 10, 2007, 09:32:33 AM
Brett was turning into an egg.

Jim Cameron begs to differ... how would you explain an Alien's ability to turn people into eggs AND have a Queen at the same time...?

There was a reason Jim had Vasquez and Hudson compare the Aliens 'Hive' with ants and bee hives... The word 'Hive' implies a bee societal structure...

There are always concepts being placed forward and later dropped, and this 'egg morphing' thing, though scripted, was only placed in the movie 4 years ago... And it contradicts everything that came previous to 2003: Queen, Hive, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection...

By the way, check out the Gediman coccoon and the others close to him...seems familiar...?

Also, what's the point of introducing new info and not elaborate on it, explain it...?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its not new film.  The scene was shot with the rest of the movie.  Its only been reinserted. 

The egg cacoons look nothing like the people trapped in the hive.  For one, Brett aside from a head and hand looks exactly like an egg seen at the beggining of the movie and nothing like anything else seen in the films.

As has been mentioned numerous times, the egging process could be a way to start of a hive by way of getting a queen.

As for the Vasquez and Hudson thing, funny you would add a piece of dialogue originally dropped in Aliens.  Funny again that you allow Cameron to say what he wants, but the people that started the series do not have that right.

Cameron knew about the egging process.  He just didn't like it.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2007, 08:33:08 PM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 09, 2007, 10:21:17 AM
This insertion dates from 2003 and nowhere else was this ever used or implied...

Alan Dean Foster's novelisation. The Book of Alien. Giger's Alien.

Quoteit still doesn't acknowledge why wasn't this EVER mentioned in the following sequels if it was just deleted from the final cut for pacing reasons...

Because Cameron felt the life-cycle was too complex to explain in a short amount of time to a mass-audience, so he dumbed it down to a Queen. This was twofold - A) It allowed him to show the lifecycle in one shot, and B) He got his bitch-fight at the end.

Alien3 was going to use it, but the entire sequence was scrapped due to budgetary reasons.

QuoteIt is because it was a too recent introduction that is never backed by any info in the sequels or official word from Ridley Scott and Dan O'Bannon...

1979 was almost thirty years ago; hardly recent. It was covered in materials of the time, it's right there in the script - And it's hardly vague - the novelisation kept it, and there was clearly enough coverage of the details of it from the people working on the film for audiences to bitch about it in '86 after Aliens came out and changed it.

To you it's a recent edition - To fans from the beginning, it's as old as the film itself.

Quotewith no confirmation of this by Ridley or O'Bannon...

Region 1 commentary, Ridley Scott remarks they're turning into eggs. Dissecting Aliens: Terror in Space has him and various other people saying they're turning into eggs. The Book of Alien mentions they're turning into eggs. Giger's Alien, from the notes he got from O'Bannon, says they were turning into eggs.

QuoteBut if you have any official link that explains this, it would be appreciated...  ;)

Regrettably, my information is not on the internet, but in books.

Quotethat is not stating, more just comparing,  to me...

Almost exactly. It's called reading comprehension.

Quotelooks like Yutani's got you boys covered......

His argument is built entirely on ignorance - He's hardly got us covered.

SiL, first of all, it is irrelevant what was or was not in the novels or art books... Giger's concept was dropped by Jim Cameron - FACT... Nowhere else in the Quarilogy was it ever mentioned, used or implied - FACT...

Like some of you say, movies are the CANON..not money-driven novels... And though this was Giger's design, it is not explained or even directly said iin ANY of the movies...

So, I ask you, which to you is CANON, the movies or the novels..? Same with AVP, are the movies canon or the games, novels, etc...?

It is irrelevant if in a novel it is said this or that, what matters is what makes the silver screen, AND what is satisfactorily explained on it... The original pyramid where the eggs were was never explained nor ever made it into the screen... Do you consider it canon because it was in the O'Bannon script...?

And, SiL, stop trying to offend people, it is not helping you make your point across... I never offended you, and your opinion is only that...an opinion... Try to respect your fellow posters, OK... and they will, in return, respect you...   ;)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 10, 2007, 10:10:14 AM
Jim Cameron begs to differ...

No he doesn't. He knows that's what it was doing. He just chose to ignore it for being too complex.

Quotehow would you explain an Alien's ability to turn people into eggs AND have a Queen at the same time...?

Backup reproductive cycle. Did you know there's an animal on Earth which primarily reproduces asexually, but will revert to sexual reproduction should certain conditions arise? It's a survival mechanism.

QuoteThere was a reason Jim had Vasquez and Hudson compare the Aliens 'Hive' with ants and bee hives...

To set up the Queen.

Quotewas only placed in the movie 4 years ago

But was known of since the film's release.

QuoteAnd it contradicts everything that came previous to 2003: Queen, Hive, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection...

Hardly.

QuoteBy the way, check out the Gediman coccoon and the others close to him...seems familiar...?

Not at all. They look nothing like Brett or Dallas.

QuoteAlso, what's the point of introducing new info and not elaborate on it, explain it...?

They were gunning on the audience having enough intelligence to put 2 and 2 together.

QuoteNowhere else in the Quarilogy was it ever mentioned, used or implied - FACT..

Region 1 commentary - FACT. A short segment in one of the documentaries about it, with Skerritt saying he didn't feel it worked - FACT.

Quoteit is not explained or even directly said iin ANY of the movies...

Why must the directors and writers sit you down and spoon-feed everything to you?

QuoteAND what is satisfactorily explained on it...

So Hudson, Apone, Dietrich, Burke, and Christie, from the movies, aren't dead, because it's never laid out for us. They may have escaped. Shit, same with Dallas if we ignore the egg cocoon sequence.

Quoteand your opinion is only that...an opinion...

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Brett is turning into an egg. That's what was intended. That's what's shown.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed