Continuity: How important is it

Started by RIJOENPIAL, Apr 03, 2007, 05:44:02 PM

Author
Continuity: How important is it (Read 9,411 times)

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

I think every franchise, trilogy, soap opera, etc, that is divided in several parts to form a whole, needs to be coherent and the action evolving naturally... That said, there are at least 3 aspects (feel free to add more) that will make it or break it for me at the beginning of AVP2:

1 - How does the Predalien (if it is onscreen) manage to grow up, kill and enable the spaceship to falll onto Earth when we already saw in AVP the ship was already out of range (gravity-wise)?

2 - How can there be any survivors of the crash (aliens, predators, facehuggers...) knowing full well that any crash of these proportions will provoke such destructive energy that woould vaporize anything close by (like Alien Resurrection's final demise of the Auriga)?

3 - How can Aliens and Predators fight with surviving witnesses and somehow these events be completely desinformed, covered-up, and plausibly kept a secret by the officials, especially in this day and age of news media outlets and satellites all over the place...?

How can this movie prevent a continuity disaster just waiting to happen?

Darkness

Darkness

I don't think it can to be honest. If the writer was interested in continuity, he wouldn't have put the film in a small town to begin with.

I originally thought a government coverup though even if Weyland Yutani is involved, there's still continuity problems with Aliens. "To be perfectly frank, we've surveyed over three hundred worlds and no one's ever reported a creature which, using your words......'gestates in a living human host' and has 'concentrated molecular acid for blood.'"

SiL

SiL

Not to mention at this point Weyland Industries is just a robotics company. How would they have the clout in modern society to be able to cover up something like that?

In my opinion it's looking to be too big an event to just be swept under the rug.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 03, 2007, 07:56:22 PM
I don't think it can to be honest. If the writer was interested in continuity, he wouldn't have put the film in a small town to begin with.

I originally thought a government coverup though even if Weyland Yutani is involved, there's still continuity problems with Aliens. "To be perfectly frank, we've surveyed over three hundred worlds and no one's ever reported a creature which, using your words......'gestates in a living human host' and has 'concentrated molecular acid for blood.'"
Maybe this scene in Aliens was already a cover up, remember, these colonists were send to the derelict by burke, so somebody has to know whats going on, i dont understand why people always talk about continuity, we havent got a trailer yet and everyone is saying that avp2 will destroy continuity.
What are you expecting from this movie anyway?? that Aliens and Predators are fighting in the sewers the whole movie?  yeah, that would be very exciting dont you think :D

SiL

SiL

Sent by Burke ... after Ripley came back and told her story.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 08:36:57 PM
Sent by Burke ... after Ripley came back and told her story.
Well thats right, but what about Alien1, the nostromo was send there, and how does ash know about the Alien ? Because he already knew about the Alien, so there must be contact with humans before, probably in avp2...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 03, 2007, 09:01:02 PM
Well thats right, but what about Alien1, the nostromo was send there,

To investigate a signal and pick up a nondescript 'hostile organism'. No mention of the specific Alien.

Quoteand how does ash know about the Alien ?

Because it's kind of been running around the ship kiling people. he never says anything the crew don't know; He's just vague and metaphorical.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 03, 2007, 08:08:05 PM
What are you expecting from this movie anyway??

Haven't a clue to be honest. I don't know what to expect from AvP2 at this stage.

Quotethat Aliens and Predators are fighting in the sewers the whole movie?  yeah, that would be very exciting dont you think :D

I still care about what happens to the other films in terms of continuity. I'd rather not have them making the film for the sake of seeing a few cool fight sequences. What about everything else?

SiL

SiL

Agreed. I want a good movie first, good fights second.

Dingo

Dingo

I'm just going to answer the questions in the first post to my opinions and possible outcomes.

1. The ship could actually go into orbit around earth, not leavingimmediatly. For how long they stay in orbit, don't know but long enough for the predalien to grow to a size to cause some damage. Now it could find it's way to the engine room or power supply of the ship screw around with such as sptting acid on it or getting into a fight with a Predator and breaking stuff in the "Power supply" room. With the power out, it will be pulled in by the closest gravitational pull which would be earth.

2. As for the ship crashing, it is possible for the ship to crash with out completely exploding and destroying everything around it.

3. Has there been any information about the town there going to be in? If it's going to be a small town, that does give some room for things to be covered up. And example if it's a small town and is a massive forest fire erupts near the town, (this is a possible theory if the town is located next to a forest) and could burn the town donw to the ground and the coverup people could just kill anyone who survived so they couldn't say anything and say every died in the fire.

Now I guess these statements are going alot out on a stretch but the best I could just think of right now.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 09:16:01 PM
Agreed. I want a good movie first, good fights second.
But this is not Alien5 or something, its Alien vs Predator, so its about the two battling it out, if you want to see a good and witty movie, then youre wrong here, i have high expectations for this movie, but it seems that yours are a little bit too high.

Darkness

Darkness

QuoteBut this is not Alien5 or something, its Alien vs Predator,

AvP still has an effect on the Alien series. It's not separate, at least not yet.

Quoteif you want to see a good and witty movie, then youre wrong here,

A good and witty movie? I want a good movie, that's for sure.

Quotei have high expectations for this movie, but it seems that yours are a little bit too high.

Yeah, I got that after AvP but I'm still hoping for AvP2.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 03, 2007, 10:03:49 PM
But this is not Alien5 or something, its Alien vs Predator, so its about the two battling it out, if you want to see a good and witty movie, then youre wrong here

No, I'm not.

The Alien franchise was built on a movie transcending its own core nature to become a film classic. To expect the same of a sequel down the line isn't having too high expectations, it's expecting a consistent level of creativity and craftsmanship within the franchise. I refuse to say 'Well, it's a monster movie, what do you expect?' because it's still a sequel, prequel, whatever to the Alien and Predator franchises, and it has to live up to them.

Is a freaking good movie too much to ask for these days, or must everyone be content with shit?

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 10:24:42 PM
But this is not Alien5 or something, its Alien vs Predator, so its about the two battling it out, if you want to see a good and witty movie, then youre wrong here

No, I'm not.

The Alien franchise was built on a movie transcending its own core nature to become a film classic. To expect the same of a sequel down the line isn't having too high expectations, it's expecting a consistent level of creativity and craftsmanship within the franchise. I refuse to say 'Well, it's a monster movie, what do you expect?' because it's still a sequel, prequel, whatever to the Alien and Predator franchises, and it has to live up to them.

Is a freaking good movie too much to ask for these days, or must everyone be content with shit?

I often feel the same way, so many CRAPPY movies flying around, I'd love for AVP2 to be a real good one.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 10:24:42 PM

No, I'm not.

Your expectations are too high, because you are saying that an AvP movie has to live up to the originals, but they will never do, its not too much to ask for a good movie these days and i dont say that avp2 will be bad or something, but it will never raise up to the original Alien or Predator movies because these avp movies are just action flicks and they dont want to be more, you have to watch these films with these aspects and not with an Alien or Predator masterpiece in your mind. That was a terrible mistake the most People did with the first avp, they were expecting the movie would rise up to the originals and were dissapointed, i was watching the movie with the thought that it is a fun popcorn action flick and it was doing a fine job then.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed