Editing AVP 2, or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Video Technobabble

Started by SiL, Mar 27, 2007, 08:37:02 AM

Author
Editing AVP 2, or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Video Technobabble (Read 6,004 times)

SiL

The Predator vision is shot with a special camera, then recoloured later, or in the camera itself, depending on how they go about it.

Dingo

I thought that they just used an infared or heat vision camera. ??? You can buy them at some stores. As for the other visions like x-ray to see the skeleton of something or other visions like that they have to use effects.

SiL

Yeah, the heat vision cameras were what I meant by 'special cameras' :P

Dingo

Punk19

There's a new article on CGSociety about the editing in AvP2. Most of it goes way over my head, it's very technical. They talk about the crew using AJA KONA 3 and Apple Final Cut Pro to edit the movie.

"The Alien vs. Predator 2 editorial team modified their existing workflow to integrate with the pipeline at visual effects studio Hydraulx, setting up an Apple Final Cut Pro editing pipeline for the film that relies heavily on AJA's KONA 3 card. Shot on 35mm 3-perf film, the setup allows Hydraulx to cut the film at a 1080i resolution, lay down previews to a D5 deck and go out to an HD deck for studio reviews before finishing the film with a 4K Digital Intermediate scan and film output. The pipeline employs five KONA 3 cards: a projection system, an editor system, a visual effects editor system, a utility system and an assistant system.

Interesting to note, they also call AvP2 an "effects-heavy" film.
Thanks to therockbottom65 for the news.

Doesn't effects - heavy mean that the movie will be bad?

Pvt. Hicks

No, it means it will have lots of effects, computer and practical. Doesn't always mean CGI, and your a little late on this one.

Darkness

Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on Apr 01, 2007, 06:11:30 AM
No, it means it will have lots of effects, computer and practical. Doesn't always mean CGI, and your a little late on this one.

It's a website called CG. That's the only effects they're devoted to.

Newsfop

Effects-heavy means "effects-heavy." It does not determine quality or lack therof. Public reaction, scripting, direction, editing, casting and performance are what determine whether a movie is good. Point-in-case, Spider-man 2 was hardly a low-budget romp and it has been called the best super hero movie ever made. That one was LOADED with effects, pre and post production.

Don Dorris

I think I said this before. The writer putting 'effects heavy' could just be him being lazy and merely assuming it's effects heavy based on the directors and the subject matter of the film (two alien species fighting)... It might not actually mean anything.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Lovely Man on Apr 01, 2007, 02:28:40 PM
I think I said this before. The writer putting 'effects heavy' could just be him being lazy and merely assuming it's effects heavy based on the directors and the subject matter of the film (two alien species fighting)... It might not actually mean anything.
I prefer practical effects more than cgi, but as long as it looks good i dont care

Vader the White

It could be very practcal effect heavy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed