(Spoilers) The lore implications and general trivia of Aliens Dark Descent

Started by PAS Spinelli, Sep 29, 2023, 11:57:40 PM

Author
(Spoilers) The lore implications and general trivia of Aliens Dark Descent (Read 1,509 times)

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

A bit late to the party, I know!

While I know there are some threads technically discussing this, I wanted to make one a bit more focused on not just the big things in the last level, but some of the small things thorough the whole game too. So with that said:
Quote-Isolation is referenced multiple times
-Novels and RPG are referenced multiple times
-Colony uprisings
-Cults being built around the Aliens (with the Aliens embracing the easy prey instead of just senselessly slaughtering them)
-Xenomorphs are still not known through the galaxy, with WY being the only ones to know about them to some extent
-Before the miners that found it died, the Space Jockey City was the first time humanity had ever found evidence of intelligent life, meaning the find was done before the Arcturians were found(which fits, as Dark Descent takes place in 2198 and the Arcturians were first found in the late 1900s, at the very least a bit before Aliens, so 20ish years before DD.)
-The Hive Mind, it's range and the fact that, with enough tampering, it can be accessed by humans.
-Aliens being, once again, implied to be smart in an almost human level
-Aliens changing the size of ovomorphs/facehuggers to fit different hosts
-Space Jockeys and Engineers not being the same things
-The game ends with the OTAGO having kind of a happy ending, with enough proof to show that not only do the Aliens exist, but WY has tried weird shit with, which can lead almost seamlessly into Aliens Fireteam Elite.
-WY Commando design uses the same design as the one featured in Fireteam Elite, further suggesting the connection between the 2 of them.
And probably much more that I missed!

Thatguy2068

Not bad, I really like the lore implications with Dark Descent.

BenditlikeBeckum

BenditlikeBeckum

Being able to command working joes to be part of your team (temporarily) is pretty cool. Its something I thought that if you rush into the game and complete objectives too quickly you miss out on some neat inventive  stuff.

Quote-WY Commando design uses the same design as the one featured in Fireteam Elite, further suggesting the connection between the 2 of them.

Does anyone have a screenshot or video of the WY Commando ? Its been more than a month since playing through it. I can't remember there being any.

Oh wait. I remember now. Pryces' offices.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: BenditlikeBeckum on Oct 01, 2023, 03:12:54 PMBeing able to command working joes to be part of your team (temporarily) is pretty cool. Its something I thought that if you rush into the game and complete objectives too quickly you miss out on some neat inventive  stuff.

Quote-WY Commando design uses the same design as the one featured in Fireteam Elite, further suggesting the connection between the 2 of them.

Does anyone have a screenshot or video of the WY Commando ? Its been more than a month since playing through it. I can't remember there being any.

Oh wait. I remember now. Pryces' offices.
Both are based on the Prodos design which was based off Colonial Marines concept art

Thatguy2068

I noticed that some of inspiration in future media came from Colonial marines even those that was a shit game.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Oct 02, 2023, 01:32:56 PMI noticed that some of inspiration in future media came from Colonial marines even those that was a shit game.
Mostly it's concept art instead of the game itself, iirc this design was only ever in it's concept art, but didn't make it into the game

Thatguy2068

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Oct 02, 2023, 10:55:07 PM
Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Oct 02, 2023, 01:32:56 PMI noticed that some of inspiration in future media came from Colonial marines even those that was a shit game.
Mostly it's concept art instead of the game itself, iirc this design was only ever in it's concept art, but didn't make it into the game
well I'm talking about what came from it in general. Like the crusher, spitter, and etc

littlesprout

I never played dark descent but all this sounds good.

Mr.Turok

I wonder what is the size limit for the eggs and facehuggers to adapt to the local life forms.

Also I figured that DD and FTE is canon to the Alien timeline, so at least to me the connections to each other found made complete sense to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed