Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,594 times)

LarsVader

LarsVader

Quote from: dxdt on Mar 01, 2012, 05:52:14 PM
Guy Pearce is clearly channeling Ridley Scott himself here.
Had the same in my mind.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Inevitably there will be similarities to others still living or passed. It's our nature as humans to recognize patterns and similarities in everything. I believe Pearce's Weyland borrows from quite a few...but here's the bigger question....What's so wrong with that?

Deuterium

Deuterium

I still hear a lot of similarities with John Hurt's accent and inflections.

By the way, a wonderful (and funny) interview below with John Hurt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHA75wM0vFU#ws

SM

SM

QuoteCompare this performance to even the actors, like I said, who were only on screen for a few minutes in 'Aliens', all meant to be from either Weyland-Yutani or bodies which they were clearly linked to.

You mean we should compare it to all those scenes of the marines pitching to a stadium full of people?

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2012, 05:50:19 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 11:48:01 AM
That's not why a lot of us are criticizing him. His performance is OTT and totally hammy. It plays almost like a parody of an arrogant businessman. Again, this is probably the fault of Jake Scott for either not reigning him, not giving a crap, or just having no time to do multiple takes. As it stands, the viral vid has some serious camp fumes coming off it. I don't expect the film to share that, but it's a bit worrying.

Thank you. This was precisely my point.

Compare this performance to even the actors, like I said, who were only on screen for a few minutes in 'Aliens', all meant to be from either Weyland-Yutani or bodies which they were clearly linked to. You don't even have to go to Burke. Those actors were nowhere near the presumed pay-grade of Guy Pearce, but compare his Weyland to them. Which performances come across more like people you'd expect to fit in with the 'verse?

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been a speech, but it come across utterly fake.

And I wouldn't care, usually, but this was a character who is in the main film from the same actor. That's what makes this slightly concerning.

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:31:12 PM
The character clearly prides himself on being an Englishman, hence the TS Lawrence namedrop. It's just a bad accent. It's forced, his natural Aussie comes through and steamrolls things left and right, like when Nicole Kidman tries to do any kind of accent--but she manages to pass it off. He doesn't.

But whatever. Clearly I'm in the minority on this.

The forced accent was obvious in my view, too, for what it's worth. Whether that was due to him trying to 'sound aristocratic' or because he's not got much experience with British accents, is open to question.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 29, 2012, 03:29:51 PM
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but Guy Pearce was invoking John Hurt that whole time. Maybe it was that time he spent with him during the filming of The Proposition. Nice touch.

He was channelling a James Mason impression, not John Hurt!

Seriously... Watch the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxdAWrsag8#ws

Now compare it to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5N78k1dpw#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqlE2iQByRk#

Now tell me you can't hear the similarities. :)

Peter Weyland = Captain Nemo! We shall see a Space Jockey as the giant squid being fought upon the decks of the Nautilus, um... Prometheus! :D

Go back and read all my replies to the cavlda quotes you referenced, then give proper counterpoints rather than your tenuous linking of Guys performance to James Mason, like that would be a problem anyway?

Peakius Baragonius

Peakius Baragonius

Wow. That was sad. I'm sorry I ever left a(n obviously tounge-in-cheek) comment about this in the first place.

Quote from: Pn2501 on Mar 01, 2012, 05:18:57 PM
Yeah It might but I haven't seen this level of avp autusim anywhere else in any other Prometheus related comunity, it's good for the lulz I suppose.

Autism prejudice? Really? I have a mild form of that myself, dude. (And whoops, I like AVP1, no connection I swear :P). Besides, if we're using the word in this way then couldn't the claim be made that you have "purist autism"? (Note: I'm not actually accusing you of serious prejudice or anything, just making the point.)

To the guy who called AVP the worst movie ever: 1) you haven't seen AVPR have you? 2) Look, I understand where you're coming from. I dislike, if not hate, the American Godzilla movie with a passion, just as you hate AVP1. But Quality-wise, are either of those the worst movie ever? No. 3) The Star Wars Holiday Special and The Galaxy Invader are readily available on Google Video.

EDIT: The rest of my post/rant on the previous canon debate has been quarantined and moved here: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=42333.0

Enjoy!

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I'm not going to quote that, but jesus.

But it is a thoughtful and well-written post.  You're going to get the stank eye. :laugh:

Pn2501

Pn2501

I have no words.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Let's keep to topic if we can. I don't want to have to start deleting posts.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 01, 2012, 08:27:24 PM
I'm not going to quote that, but jesus.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_ttRlVMOTXc/TnJMuG7NljI/AAAAAAAADKs/MlmpzecTpnw/s320/wall+of+text.jpg

Yeah, sorry guys. I'd started that in response to the whole canon silliness from before, but I'd worked on it for a while and I thought I made some pretty good points, though probably no one will read them. Plus, by now the thread has gotten back on track. :-[

Actually, I think I'll just re-post most of that in another thread if that's okay, so that the Text Wall of Doom! takes no more innocent victims just looking to comment on the video.

About Pearce's performance, I don't really see a problem with it, though I suppose I might find something on review. The speech itself is certainly engaging. It's possible that Peter Weyland is actually acting, having a different and less presentable personality/style seen here, but who knows?

Is the video supposed to be of the whole Talk? They're usually way longer, and it seems almost like an introduction/promo for a longer Talk in addition to the film, though it does articulate a lot of ideas in those few short minutes. Maybe in the future when media gets faster and faster and the attention spans of the population becomes worse, the Talks become shorter?

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Mar 01, 2012, 08:39:46 PM
Is the video supposed to be of the whole Talk? They're usually way longer, and it seems almost like an introduction/promo for a longer Talk in addition to the film, though it does articulate a lot of ideas in those few short minutes. Maybe in the future when media gets faster and faster and the attention spans of the population becomes worse, the Talks become shorter?

QuoteNew on TED.com: Find TEDTalks by length

Only have three minutes for a video snack? You can now find TEDTalks by length: 3, 6, 9, 12 or the classic 18-minutes ...

Visit http://www.ted.com/talks and use the pulldown menu on the left-hand side:

So, the "classic" length is 18 minutes...but they can vary, even down to 3 minutes.

Peakius Baragonius

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 01, 2012, 08:56:50 PM
Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Mar 01, 2012, 08:39:46 PM

QuoteNew on TED.com: Find TEDTalks by length

Only have three minutes for a video snack? You can now find TEDTalks by length: 3, 6, 9, 12 or the classic 18-minutes ...

Visit http://www.ted.com/talks and use the pulldown menu on the left-hand side:

Aaaah, thanks, cool to know.

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 01, 2012, 08:27:24 PM
But it is a thoughtful and well-written post.  You're going to get the stank eye. :laugh:

Thanks! I'll have to watch out for my eye odor, I guess...  :o  ;D

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: escroto on Mar 01, 2012, 12:55:27 PM
People trying to connect which is perhaps the worst movie ever (AVP) with which still stands as the best and most important horror film ever made (Alien) is kind of fun to witness. It is like mixing crap with caviar.

Weren't the AVP movies made for the kids?

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of people who are trying to connect 'AVP' with 'Prometheus' are at the very least, under the age of 23.  In that sense, yes; 'AVP' was made for kids.

If there's some person who's over the age of 30 who respects 'AVP' enough to try and integrate it with 'Alien', then...  well, I pity them.

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 01, 2012, 04:25:27 PM
Personally, I'd sooner let go of Prometheus from Alien continuity than the AVP films and in connection to that the Predator Concrete Jungle game and AVP2010.

What kind of sense does that make?!  So, Ridley Scott has less authority over the 'Alien' universe than Paul Anderson, the Brothers Strause and the developers of a Predator game?!  Are you insane?!  Aren't you the same person who is forever beating that ridiculous corporate drum of "Fox decides what's canon.  End of."?

I guess that you follow that Fox mantra religiously, until the moment that you disagree with it and it no longer suits you.

I do understand that at the end of the day, you're entitled to consider certain elements of the fictional universe as canon and not others.  However, that won't ever stop me from considering you to be insane in the membrane, my good Sir. 

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 01, 2012, 04:25:27 PMI wish Ridley Scott would be more clear on whether or not the film is an Alien Prequel.

You do realise that you're just about the only person on this planet who's following this film and still isn't sure as to whether 'Prometheus' is an 'Alien' prequel or not?  I just can't get my head around how you're so freakishly liberal towards the series canon, to the extent that it's both adorable and frustrating to read (though, mostly the latter); yet, you're so foolishly stubborn against common sense and what's staring you right in the face.

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 01, 2012, 04:45:31 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 01, 2012, 04:41:57 PM
Alien is one franchise

Predator is another franchise

and AvP is yet another franchise.

Why is this hard to comprehend?

What's hard to comprehend is how this can be so when the directors of both AVP movies never envisioned them that way.

You honestly give a hoot as to what "talented" filmmakersdestroyers such as Anderson and Tweedle-Dee & Tweedle-Dum envisioned?  I only wish that they'd "envision" their way into early retirement.

Quote from: Vulhala on Mar 01, 2012, 04:40:50 PM
AvP is not canon in the Alien franchise, much as they tried by casting Henrikssen as a Weyland.
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 01, 2012, 04:41:18 PM
^I still don't see how that can be so. ???

EDIT:
Quote from: Vulhala on Mar 01, 2012, 05:09:48 PM
The AvP franchise has its own board. This isn't it.

Sorry, I only just read this but yes, I completely agree.  I apologise for "feeding the troll" as it were but I sincerely wish that people like PredXeno would stop bringing up the topic of 'AVP' and 'Predator' within the 'Prometheus' thread.  Take it else where PredXeno, please.

hardcorps54

hardcorps54

i wonder if guy pearce gets more screen time in the ad than the actual movie

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 01, 2012, 09:54:01 PM
Quote from: escroto on Mar 01, 2012, 12:55:27 PM
People trying to connect which is perhaps the worst movie ever (AVP) with which still stands as the best and most important horror film ever made (Alien) is kind of fun to witness. It is like mixing crap with caviar.

Weren't the AVP movies made for the kids?

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of people who are trying to connect 'AVP' with 'Prometheus' are at the very least, under the age of 23.  In that sense, yes; 'AVP' was made for kids.

Guilty as charged, sir.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed