Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy

Started by ajm, Feb 10, 2010, 10:17:49 AM

Author
Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy (Read 174,859 times)

l3awl3ag

Valheru, the cloak only does that when you're sprinting or focus jumping. If you're moving around normally you're almoast invisible to marines, and you are completely invisible in the dark.

Chances are when you're being killed as you describe, the marine player has just seen you on the motion tracker and thought "hmm.. nothing there.. but f**k it, I'll fire anyway just incase". As the marine, that's how the majority of my predator kills start out. It's easily done, you just need to line yourself up with the blip on the motion tracker, and spray.

Valheru

Quote from: l3awl3ag on Feb 17, 2010, 01:38:24 AM
Valheru, the cloak only does that when you're sprinting or focus jumping. If you're moving around normally you're almoast invisible to marines, and you are completely invisible in the dark.

Chances are when you're being killed as you describe, the marine player has just seen you on the motion tracker and thought "hmm.. nothing there.. but f**k it, I'll fire anyway just incase". As the marine, that's how the majority of my predator kills start out. It's easily done, you just need to line yourself up with the blip on the motion tracker, and spray.

No you get it when moving around at normal speed as well, I've witnessed it myself many a time and also when helping out a newbie predator.

And it's happened far to often for it to be simple spray and pray...literally you can see them turn towards you and track your movement and the second they fire it hits you straight away and pretty much die instantly. Almost as if the cloak wasn't even on, that's how useless it feels sometimes when fighting marines. When it happens time and time again you see a pattern emerge that tells you they can clearly see me while in cloak.

I'm posting this up as an observed fault in trying to balance the predators cloak out and going too far, to the point where it's almost useless against a marine with half a clue, not just because it has frustrated me in the past.

Cheers!

Valheru

Insomniac

Quote from: Valheru on Feb 17, 2010, 02:07:19 AM
Quote from: l3awl3ag on Feb 17, 2010, 01:38:24 AM

No you get it when moving around at normal speed as well, I've witnessed it myself many a time and also when helping out a newbie predator.

And it's happened far to often for it to be simple spray and pray...literally you can see them turn towards you and track your movement and the second they fire it hits you straight away and pretty much die instantly. Almost as if the cloak wasn't even on, that's how useless it feels sometimes when fighting marines. When it happens time and time again you see a pattern emerge that tells you they can clearly see me while in cloak.

I'm posting this up as an observed fault in trying to balance the predators cloak out and going too far, to the point where it's almost useless against a marine with half a clue, not just because it has frustrated me in the past.

Cheers!

Valheru

The cloak does not shimmer when doing a normal walk, only while sprinting or focus jumping.
It's easy enough to tell, because you can see it on your own claws when it's happening.
If you have been shot while walking its purely because they spotted you, being cloaked isnt full invisibility, if you know what to look for you will spot it in some areas. The top of the ramps are a dangerous place to be as a pred.

Valheru

Valheru

Im not talking about the shimmer but the electronic distortion you get while moving. And I did say from any doorway, not just the ramps...basically the second I popped my head out of any opening into the main refinery area it would get blown off.

I know the cloak isn't invisibility but it seems almost useless as a stealth mechanism when the marines can pick me out that easily...I'll see if I can find you some footage or an image of what I see when another cloaked predator walks around.

Cheers!

Valheru

Edit...Here ya go...at the 35-36sec mark you can see a cloaked predator sprinting which causes the ED (electrical distortion), later on at 3:45-47 you can see the same distortion as a predator WALKS up and THEN lets loose a light attack, bringing him out of cloak.

Here's a pic of the moment he's walking before he attacks and you can clearly see the ED on the left just above the motion tracker...and this is from the small youtube video screen, you can imagine how clear and easy it would be to spot on a 19/21" monitor running at full res. and detail.

PS....while I was commenting about this in a game another player mentioned that my eyes glowed and was how he saw me....is this true, that randomly or after some action that your eyes glow while in cloak?

Sharkey1337

Sharkey1337

Valheru, you just have to learn how to use the Predator better. Seriously, the cloak is perfect the way it is, and BALANCED. You shouldn't be able to run around the place in perfect cloak, the predator is already powerful enough as it is. If you're rushing at a marine who's facing you then you damn well deserve to be shot dead! Here's a tip from a game winning Predator: if you spot a marine after coming around a corner, STOP dead in your tracks. Usually the marine won't notice you as they may have just seen a blip on their detector, but might be thinking it could be a level above/below them as they won't see anything with you standing still. When they turn their attention away from you then use your pounce attack or run up and get a stealth kill on them. If they have noticed you just run back around the corner and flank them from the other side. Better yet try and carry the spear around with you, it's moments like these that can guarantee you a victory against a marine with a well thrown spear, which is an excellent sneak attack weapon when cloaked.

Tyranix

Tyranix

Ok, I think I have a simple enough question.

Where can concerns, queries, complaints and suggestions be filed? I am not very amused with how the ranked system works, nor how I really have little to no control on which race I am in most of the game modes unless I play unranked. Here are the issues I find in detail.

1. Match Making Time. I find it extremely frustrating that the match maker will end up finding 4 people, and just start the match and go ahead. If the system would sit in the lobby and wait more than 20 seconds before starting, the games could get bigger in size. I've played far too many 4 player matches today

2. Race Balancing. I completely understand how you want to make sure one team isn't out numbered by the other. But hardly makes sense that I've been in a few matches, forced to be a human, when I want to be an alien, and the alien players want to be human, yet there is no "switching" unless you're on the only team that has the man advantage. What's worse, is that when people don't get the race they want, they end up dropping the match, making it even more unbalanced and sometimes even vacant. I say, let us swap at the very least if someone wants to swap with you. Or let there be no faction balancing in a match under 8 in size.

3. Possibly allow joining mid-match or allow changing races mid-match, with balancing teams still applied. I understand you don't want someone with a huge score jumping to the other team to toss off the scoring or to get the 'winning' multiplyer (if there is one). But if you kept balancing on, if they do switch teams it wont be any harm if they join a team that could use one more player. Am I wrong?

Also, I've noticed a glitch that followed us from the Demo on the PS3 version. It seems once in awhile, out of complete random we can't hear others or others can't hear us on the mic even when just sitting in the lobby. Hopeing this is dealt with, hate playing with pals and being unable to talk to them without rejoining the group to fix the problem

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out, hope the suggestions are taken to heart, if not, really would like to know where I could send them. Thanks

z0diac

Why do I get the feeling Rebellion is testing this "matchmaking" system to see how many people will put up with it, and after while, announces they are scrapping dedicated servers (probably due to extra resources, both manpower and money)... :'(

Valheru

Valheru

Quote from: Sharkey1337 on Feb 17, 2010, 03:31:49 AM
Valheru, you just have to learn how to use the Predator better. Seriously, the cloak is perfect the way it is, and BALANCED. You shouldn't be able to run around the place in perfect cloak, the predator is already powerful enough as it is. If you're rushing at a marine who's facing you then you damn well deserve to be shot dead! Here's a tip from a game winning Predator: if you spot a marine after coming around a corner, STOP dead in your tracks. Usually the marine won't notice you as they may have just seen a blip on their detector, but might be thinking it could be a level above/below them as they won't see anything with you standing still. When they turn their attention away from you then use your pounce attack or run up and get a stealth kill on them. If they have noticed you just run back around the corner and flank them from the other side. Better yet try and carry the spear around with you, it's moments like these that can guarantee you a victory against a marine with a well thrown spear, which is an excellent sneak attack weapon when cloaked.

And you need to learn to read my posts better...take into account everything and specifically what I have said (go read them all again properly).

In response to your post:
- I am not RUNNING...I am WALKING.
- The marine is hell powerful enough, that's why I die almost instantly the second they spot me, the predator really needs his cloak to work effectively to balance against the marines superior firepower.
- I am not asking for a perfect cloak but one that works until you do something to give yourself away or are close enough for the shimmer to be seen. All my instances I am talking about are from a medium distance away, good example is the back wall where the SG is and I walk out of any door on the other side of the room and they instantly turn and shoot me, obviously the motion tracker gives them a bearing and then they see the ED. And don't say it's because they have the SG, 4 out of 5 times it was the PR that killed me.
- I am not rushing them, I constantly try to flank them and be random in my direction of attack but they always seem to see me somehow!
- Spear is one of my main weapons of choice and is what I've had to use most since with a less than effective cloak, any other weapon only makes it so much easier again for them to spot me...basically as I said in my first post I have to do a 'spear ready, dodge out, throw and dodge back in' to have any chance of killing them and staying alive.

As I said, I know Im no uber leet predator player but I also know Im not a noob either, been playing FPS for a long time now and do take a fair few marine and alien kills but basically any experienced marines I come across it's just an outright fire fight instead of a stealthy stalk of the prey as they just watch for the ED cue....Im cool with it doing it for sprinting or jumping even though it doesnt make sense but for it to do it while walking is way to disadvantageous on what is the predators only real edge over the marines as in a straight fire fight the marine is very powerful, the pred may have one kill weapons but they are quite easily dodged if the marine keeps moving where his bullets are instantaneous.

Cheers!

Valheru

PS...maybe we should move this 'discussion' to another thread but leave my initial post in here, to keep this thread a bit cleaner ;)

Sharkey1337

Quote from: Valheru on Feb 17, 2010, 03:54:58 AM
And you need to learn to read my posts better...take into account everything and specifically what I have said.

- I am not RUNNING...I am WALKING.
- The marine is hell powerful enough, that's why I die almost instantly the second the spot me, the predator really needs his cloak to work effectively to balance against the marines superior firepower.
- I am not asking for a perfect cloak but one that works until you do something to give yourself away or are close enough for the shimmer to be seen. All my instances I am talking about are from a medium distance away, good example is the back wall where the SG is and I walk out of any door on the other side of the room and they instantly turn and shoot me, obviously the motion tracker gives them a bearing and then they see the ED. And don't say it's because they have the SG, 4 out of 5 times it was the PR that killed me.
- I am not rushing them, I constantly try to flank them and be random in my direction of attack but they always seem to see me somehow!
- Spear is one of my main weapons of choice and is what I've had to use most since with a less than effective cloak, any other weapon only makes it so much easier again for them to spot me...basically as I said in my first post I have to do a 'spear ready, dodge out, throw and dodge back in' to have any chance of killing them and staying alive.

As I said, I know Im no uber leet predator player but I also know Im not a noob either, been playing FPS for a long time now and do take a fair few marine and alien kills but basically any experienced marines I come across it's just an outright fire fight instead of a stealthy stalk of the prey as they just watch for the ED cue....Im cool with it doing it for sprinting or jumping even though it doesnt make sense but for it to do it while walking is way to disadvantageous on what is the predators only real edge over the marines as in a straight fire fight the marine is very powerful, the pred may have one kill weapons but they are quite easily dodged if the marine keeps moving where his bullets are instantaneous.

Cheers!

Valheru

PS...maybe we should move this 'discussion' to another thread but leave my initial post in here, to keep this thread a bit cleaner ;)

Ack, sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything, and sorry about putting it as "running around" when I know you said you walk. If you're walking the detector can still pick you up. I'm guessing you play on PC, I'm an Xbox player, so given that I'm sure the graphical difference between the two versions may change things a bit, i.e. PC players can see cloaked predators better. ASSUMING that, well I really have nothing to say but to avoid marines if you can help, which I tend to do as they do seem to play more the anti-predator then the aliens can, lol. Again, sorry!

Valheru

This post is for an entirely different question regarding the predator.

Why does the plasma caster still auto lockon when in normal vision mode, so Im not in IR or the one for seeing aliens whatever its called (someone please fill me in ;)), but in the view that sees what the marine sees. I assumed in this mode you would forfeit the auto lockon and have to manually aim the PC which is handy so you can account for lead on a moving target....but lo and behold again, what you assume is common sense and would also be carried over from the original AVP is not what you get sometimes :-\

Is this a bug or the way it was intended? If it was intended what is the reasoning behind it?

Cheers!

Valheru

Valheru

Valheru

Quote from: Sharkey1337 on Feb 17, 2010, 04:07:17 AMAck, sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything, and sorry about putting it as "running around" when I know you said you walk. If you're walking the detector can still pick you up. I'm guessing you play on PC, I'm an Xbox player, so given that I'm sure the graphical difference between the two versions may change things a bit, i.e. PC players can see cloaked predators better. ASSUMING that, well I really have nothing to say but to avoid marines if you can help, which I tend to do as they do seem to play more the anti-predator then the aliens can, lol. Again, sorry!

Ah no worries, yeah Im a PC player...after you play FPS on PC for as many years as I have, a controller is just not responsive enough sorry :P (and I do have a 360 and tried the AVP demo on that, soz no comparison to a good keyboard and mouse).

Yeah that's what I mean, I know they have the motion tracker...and a scope on the sniper rifle that sees predators in cloak, a smart gun that auto locks onto them cloaked or not...thats 3 advantages on the marine side against the pred cloak and then on the pred side, his cloak has been disadvantaged 3 times, because any ranged weapon except the spear gives away his position, every weapon uncloaks him and to top it off anytime you try to walk/run/jump around the map you have this ED giving you away....it just seems like the odds are stacked against the predator for any marine with half a clue on how to use these 6 adv and disadv to pin point a cloaked pred.

The cloak is only there as a stealth mechanism for eliminating marines as aliens can see preds either way and the same for other preds. So when you look at it in that light the cloak is almost useless.

See my point anybody?

My other point is that the other species are very close still to how they are portrayed in the movies where it feels like the predator has been "crippled" in this game compared to the movies and the old 1999 AVP game...though I must say the focus jumps are simply amazing, allowing awesome movement through high places and multiple levels of the map...but I can't even get anywhere near the rafters in Refinery without getting mowed down a third of the way there.

Cheers!

Valheru

Drew

Why are there no female marine skins in multiplayer?

FrankO

Will there ever be the possibility of dedicated servers for the PS3?  Your game rocks Eric... but your match-making... yikes...

Insomniac

Quote from: Valheru on Feb 17, 2010, 04:17:33 AM
This post is for an entirely different question regarding the predator.

Why does the plasma caster still auto lockon when in normal vision mode, so Im not in IR or the one for seeing aliens whatever its called (someone please fill me in ;)), but in the view that sees what the marine sees. I assumed in this mode you would forfeit the auto lockon and have to manually aim the PC which is handy so you can account for lead on a moving target....but lo and behold again, what you assume is common sense and would also be carried over from the original AVP is not what you get sometimes :-\

Is this a bug or the way it was intended? If it was intended what is the reasoning behind it?

Cheers!

Valheru

If you launch the PC bolt after charging for a bit but before lock-on has completed you get a full powered shot that follows the players aim not the auto targetting.
You CAN lock on in normal vision but it takes a lot longer than doing it in the correct vision mode.

kroenen77

to the rebellion guys here:

the ps3 version has 2 really heavy bugs...freezes and soundbugs all time over the game:

freezes are only on ps3 and in predator campaign(played only this on ps3 ) ...when you change the visionmodes.i have a soundbug,too.the complete sound is often complete away for a second. this prob is only on ps3 ...360 version runs perfect.i have both versions.patch please.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed