So why was the Engineer ship Buried?

Started by episodenone, Apr 13, 2013, 07:04:27 PM

Author
So why was the Engineer ship Buried? (Read 6,438 times)

ShadowPred

Quote from: episodenone on Apr 23, 2013, 12:01:56 AM

I didn't bury it under millions of tons of dirt.   ::)

Nothing was buried, it was inside of a hangar!

ChrisPachi

Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 23, 2013, 02:39:46 AMHe's part of the 'who put that dirt on ma garage door' conspiracy.

Or the 'who carved that huge and neatly graded road over the top of ma hanger' conspiracy. Think about it.

episodenone

Quote from: RoaryUK on Apr 23, 2013, 02:14:57 AM
Quote from: episodenone on Apr 23, 2013, 12:01:56 AM
Ding Dongs...

I pull into driveway and press a button and my garage door opens.

I didn't bury it under millions of tons of dirt.   ::)

We bury stuff for all kinds of reasons unrelated to warring...where is your argument going exactly??

I'm not arguing anything.  I disagree with the simplicity of "it's a garage" is all.

I'm not going to wikipedia "The invention of the Garage" but the Juggernaut on LV-426 survives just fine in a hostile environment for a couple 1000 years -- so protecting it from the elements is a flimsy rationale.

But fine - clearly everyone here thinks it's a meaningless point.  So I'm over it.  I had thought it was worth discussing - but if I'm the only one... [door closing behind me]

SiL

SiL

Quote from: episodenone on Apr 23, 2013, 10:50:29 AM
I'm not arguing anything.  I disagree with the simplicity of "it's a garage" is all.
Why? It's in a specially created underground chamber with an elaborate door mechanism above it. What about that says anything other than some sort of garage?

Quotebut the Juggernaut on LV-426 survives just fine in a hostile environment for a couple 1000 years -- so protecting it from the elements is a flimsy rationale.
Not if you go by what the designers of the Prometheus Juggernaut were saying -- that the difference in the look of the interior of the ship is down to the LV-426 derelict having been worn down over the years.

LarsVader

Quote from: SiL on Apr 23, 2013, 11:15:15 AM
Quotebut the Juggernaut on LV-426 survives just fine in a hostile environment for a couple 1000 years -- so protecting it from the elements is a flimsy rationale.
Not if you go by what the designers of the Prometheus Juggernaut were saying -- that the difference in the look of the interior of the ship is down to the LV-426 derelict having been worn down over the years.
And nothing on the derelict seems to be in good shape and by the time of ALIENS it's even breaking apart.

Kimarhi

Cause newts mom and pops went into a big gaping crack in the side that was not one of the vaginal like opening in the original.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I think the supposed lava flow had something to do with it too.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It did.  Just because we saw one Silica storm in Prometheus doesn't mean there wasn't other enviromental hazards that would occur overtime.

Hangars/garage also are a way to protect the pilot/driver of vehicles from the elements as well as a conveniant way to do maitenance......since you typically have everything to work on said vehicle in the proximity.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteAnd nothing on the derelict seems to be in good shape and by the time of ALIENS it's even breaking apart.

Cameron needed an excuse as to why the derelict's warning beacon was no longer transmitting so he came up with the idea of a lava flow having damaged the derelict in the timeframe between Alien and Aliens. He probably wasn't aware at the time that in the original Alien storyboard Dallas had switched it off.

With regards to Prometheus - there is some very heavy erosion on that pyramid/dome structure. The head sculpture is almost completely eroded which gives you an indication of the severity of the weather on LV-223. But then again, the same could be said for the Sphinx on earth and a collision with a starship barely scratched the Juggernaut's paint job.

LarsVader

Quote from: ST on Apr 23, 2013, 04:04:22 PM
QuoteAnd nothing on the derelict seems to be in good shape and by the time of ALIENS it's even breaking apart.

Cameron needed an excuse as to why the derelict's warning beacon was no longer transmitting so he came up with the idea of a lava flow having damaged the derelict in the timeframe between Alien and Aliens. He probably wasn't aware at the time that in the original Alien storyboard Dallas had switched it off.
I think the simple truth is that the derelict model had been damaged by a forklift driver when it was transported to Bob Burns for the first time.
And when Cameron borrowed the model for ALIENS he thought it would be a good idea to leave it that way.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 23, 2013, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: ST on Apr 23, 2013, 04:04:22 PM

I think the simple truth is that the derelict model had been damaged by a forklift driver when it was transported to Bob Burns for the first time.
And when Cameron borrowed the model for ALIENS he thought it would be a good idea to leave it that way.

The derelict was still intact, although in pretty bad shape (but at least the left arm/prong wasn't broken) when the Skotak bros. collected it from Bob Burns' house.
It might have been damaged in transit on the way to the studio but I think Cameron mentioned the damage was intentional during an interview after the release of the Directors Cut.

LarsVader

I heard it was damaged by a forklift in transport.

SM

SM

Cameron wrote about a gash in the hull in the script.

It's not like they couldn't repair or rebuild a model.

LarsVader

QuoteThe Derelict Spacecraft was dropped by the forklift when unloading all the goodies at Bob Burns place. The hammerhead arm broke off and that's the reason to why we see it like that in A L I E N S.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=148421&page=3

SM

SM

Cameron had the Derelict's hull damaged in the original treatment dated 1983.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed