Bad reviews dnt mean alot.

Started by Spectre, Dec 20, 2007, 09:26:57 PM

Author
Bad reviews dnt mean alot. (Read 25,945 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Khan on Dec 21, 2007, 05:17:25 AM
At Rotten Tomatoes, has there been a movie that has a 100 percent rating.

Toy Story 2 has a 100%.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Dec 21, 2007, 12:24:17 PM
It is not the percentage that affects me, it's the tone and the ground covered in that review...

Spoilers or not, if a review cover the ground from the script (Preprod) to the VFX (post-prod) and the result is not good (spoilers/movie facts help the reviewer exemplify whis claims) and when 3 FAN reviewers state the movie is bad, I tend to believe them more, because the first NON-FAN (Movie web) one clearly shows that he knows that the more people will see the movie, the more possibilities Alien 5 and Predator 3 will have to be done...  ::)

And it is what's in the reviews that matter, not stars or percentages...I would not compare a 29% Next with a 22% AVP... And I surely would not have given 100% to Aliens with all its 'imperfections'...

Hence why only the CONTENT of the review means anything to me... That and the pedigree of the reviewer... And they exist to prevent us from spending our money on bad movies... Like a warning sign: 'See it at your own peril'...!

vehtam's friend did a Spoiler-free review and had many points of contact with Dacu's review... They are fans, not some newspaper reviewer who will watch it and analyse it not in terms of fandomness, but in terms of watchability and quality of the movie's intrincate parts... A movie being the sum of all parts, not just one or two... ;)

mate, if god himself came down and said the movie rocked the heavens, you would still doubt him, you made your mind up 2 months ago.

its blindly obvious to me that guys like you, gates and the crew will not like it one bit, and the guys who are looking forward to it will.

theres no middle ground here, i dont think anyone on eitherside of the fence is in for any surprises.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Get over it.

Some of the people who wanna like it are gonna come out crying with disappointment.

The reverse is also true, but without the crying.

Tender Branson

Tender Branson

Any self respecting movie goer will hate this, hell even those that don't mind having a bit of mindless fun are for one big dissapointment.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Dec 21, 2007, 01:37:32 PM
Get over it.

Some of the people who wanna like it are gonna come out crying with disappointment.

The reverse is also true, but without the crying.

i disagree, most of the people who want to like it , also want to just see shit getting blown up and vs fights, the people who dont well.... dont

like i said theres nothing that should change your mind now, than when that first leeked script and photo wheeled its way onto the net 9 months ago.

the path has been straight as an arrow, the only bend being the RC of the predalien.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

I guess we'll see when the movie comes out.

Highland

Highland

the old classic!

I'm trying to wheel my way in to the sunday showing here in perth,if i do, i'll be sure to post a we review to add to the tally.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: highlandpred on Dec 21, 2007, 02:04:49 PM
the old classic!

I didn't have much choice.  We're arguing about something that can't be quantified until people actually start reacting to the film.

My prediction?  A slow building but strong wave of, "Not as bad as AvP" type reviews.

spydermanlee

spydermanlee

To be honest, the film looks pretty entertaining based on what I have seen so far.  If the average moviegoer thinks the film is "cool" and good word of mouth spreads, it will be a hit.  I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in what I have read so far.  Fans of the series have not liked it, for the most part, and that is a bad sign.  I will give it a chance and voice my opinion once I see it.  Will it be all that I hoped for?  I doubt it, but if I come out of the theater liking it, that's good enough for me.  It has to be an improvement over the first one, and even though I did like several scences from that film, it didn't work overall.  I just wants lots of action, lots of blood, and lots of cool fighting scenes.  Basically, I want to be entertained and not over-analyze the film.  Take it for what it is....cheesy entertainment at its best...hopefully.

Highland

Highland

i fear for it a little, if i'm being honest, the guys that will go see this will be looking at the clock with a stinkin hang over, i know i will.

meanwhile the kiddies are lining up for the golden compass.

i feel this will be one of those slow burners, so i'm expecting a tank on opening, with a day by day profit.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: highlandpred on Dec 21, 2007, 01:35:02 PM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on Dec 21, 2007, 12:24:17 PM
It is not the percentage that affects me, it's the tone and the ground covered in that review...

Spoilers or not, if a review cover the ground from the script (Preprod) to the VFX (post-prod) and the result is not good (spoilers/movie facts help the reviewer exemplify whis claims) and when 3 FAN reviewers state the movie is bad, I tend to believe them more, because the first NON-FAN (Movie web) one clearly shows that he knows that the more people will see the movie, the more possibilities Alien 5 and Predator 3 will have to be done...  ::)

And it is what's in the reviews that matter, not stars or percentages...I would not compare a 29% Next with a 22% AVP... And I surely would not have given 100% to Aliens with all its 'imperfections'...

Hence why only the CONTENT of the review means anything to me... That and the pedigree of the reviewer... And they exist to prevent us from spending our money on bad movies... Like a warning sign: 'See it at your own peril'...!

vehtam's friend did a Spoiler-free review and had many points of contact with Dacu's review... They are fans, not some newspaper reviewer who will watch it and analyse it not in terms of fandomness, but in terms of watchability and quality of the movie's intrincate parts... A movie being the sum of all parts, not just one or two... ;)

mate, if god himself came down and said the movie rocked the heavens, you would still doubt him, you made your mind up 2 months ago.

its blindly obvious to me that guys like you, gates and the crew will not like it one bit, and the guys who are looking forward to it will.

theres no middle ground here, i dont think anyone on eitherside of the fence is in for any surprises.

Shows what you know, highland...

I seem to recall saying the thing you quoted in regards to a FAN REVIEW... he just confirmed my worst expectations... Hell, the three fan reviews just confirmed one another... But hope DOES springs eternal, doesn't it...?

I don't want the movie to tank, but if it is indeed bad, then I hope it does so, so that we won't have any more of those raping the franchises any further...

I just hope that come the day it premieres in Australia, you will see it and be able to give your HONEST, SUBJECTIVE input about it afterwards... I really do...

So, make all the assumptions you want, you're still miles away from getting my point, highland... As usual... ::) :D 

Highland

Highland

i,m a very honest man yutani, if it was a stinker, beleive me, i'd be saying, yep you guys were right, i have no reservations about folding my hand, i'm always honest in most of the things i do

but you have to admit, you have had it in for this movie for a very long time, so these reviews are almost like music to your ears.

I've read the non-spoiler reviews, and they say nothing to me which i dont already know, and have known since frost and AICN way back 9 months ago.

Difference is, i kinda knew where it was all heading, but i suppose some people sit on that cloud waiting for that film that will never come along.

Tender Branson

Tender Branson

highlandpred I think you might be dissapointed with the final product... Regardless of your stance.

KARHAN

KARHAN

Quote from: Mr.Bubbles on Dec 21, 2007, 01:39:54 PM
Any self respecting movie goer will hate this, hell even those that don't mind having a bit of mindless fun are for one big dissapointment.

your wrong, i already have seen enough footage to make an opinion about this movie, and it looks more watcheble then Alien. Alien is too slow paced for me and it wasnt that scary  when i saw it 10+ years ago, :-\

but some of you guys do have high standerds, not that its wrong but its almost inpossible to make a good movie these days without a good director/cast,etc. the last good new movie i saw was 300 up till now all the movies pretty much sucked :-\ I am Legend was watchble but i expected more :(,

and now comes my conclusion: its better then AVP/A:R/P2, worse then P1/A2/A3 its right in the middle for me.

Tender Branson

Tender Branson

I don't know if it's better than AvP because personally I hated it as much albeit for different reasons.
And in my opinion P2 totally rapes this while A:R isn't as bad as is this.

The thing is I wasn't hoping for another Alien/Aliens/Alien 3/Predator but at least I hope I would enjoy it, which I absolutely didn't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed