Would it have been better if Newt lived past Alien 3?

Started by predxeno, Jun 02, 2010, 03:46:09 AM

Author
Would it have been better if Newt lived past Alien 3? (Read 33,900 times)

predxeno

This is a successor to the "I like to think of the original Aliens comic series as an alternate timeline" thread, here's a link: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=32287.0  Here are the important posts from that thread:

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 02, 2010, 01:13:13 AM
Officially, the one with Billie and Wilks is the canon version.  I just want Newt and Hicks to live.  Newt still got to live, at least, after the incident with Spears.  At the very least, Newt should have lived past Alien 3.  It would make sacrificing Ripley easier.  Newt would be her legacy and she would fight the aliens after Ripley had passed.

Quote from: SM on Jun 02, 2010, 02:00:41 AM
It would've made Ripley's sacrifice harder because if Newt was alive, Ripley would have more to live for.

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 02, 2010, 02:05:13 AM
There would probably be an emotional sequence as Ripley and Newt say their goodbyes.  It would also enhance Ripley's sacrifice.  But in all honesty, I kind of prefer Alien 4 to be around an older Newt fighting aliens rather than a Ripley clone #8.

What do you think?

StrangeShape

Well Im a big, big fan of Alien 3 so I wouldnt change much in it, I would only corrected some mytho mistakes and plotholes but other than that Id leave everything intact. It wouldve been better and more humane to have just Ripley eject from the ship, but on the other hand the movie would loose the strong emotional punch and there wouldnt be anything to trigger Ripley's metamorphosis into a masculine, emotionally burned out person.
Just leave the autopsy out of the movie. That would be my only request. Its just sick and really unhealthy. I would never want to see , even in a movie, an autopsy on a child. There are limits

SM

I've always thought the manner of Newt and Hicks disposal was a bit cheap and nasty - but the world of Alien IS nasty.  And the film recovers from it, thanks mainly to Newt's autopsy.

As per the thread that spawned this, I can't imagine how you'd manage to get Newt into a situation to fight Aliens.  At least with Ripley it wasn't just about confronting demons - she was pragmatic enough to see an opportunity to get her flight status reinstated.

predxeno

predxeno

Perhaps, it would be a situation like in Aliens Earth Hive, the military forces an alien expert to go bring back a specimen.  Know that I'm no great storyteller and this is a little on-the-spot, but perhaps she could be the lead in an AvP storyline.  The predators enjoy hunting the aliens and somehow Newt would be in the middle of the action.

Mus

Nooooooo. That would actually connect the two series.

predxeno

No, I meant in an alternate storyline.  We're not connecting anything.  Hicks is still dead, as is Ripley.  I'm just talking about a minor adjustment where Newt lives to the end of Alien 3.  In the original comics, there was no Alien 3 at all.

SM

Assuming she survived the EEV crash Newt's hope of salvation died when Ripley did.

predxeno

What do you mean when you say "hope of salvation"?

SM

If Ripley dies she'll be pretty much f**ked up for life.

Assuming she wasn't literally f**ked up by Golic.

predxeno

How will she be f**ked up if Ripley died?  They had a connection, yes, but wouldn't Newt eventually get past it?  How would Golic have f**ked her up at all?  The attempted rape sequence could have had an effect on her had she been present at the time of the incident.  But besides that and Ripley's death, I don't know how she could have been further affected by the prisoners or staff.

SM

QuoteHow will she be f**ked up if Ripley died?

You missed the movie where everyone she's ever known in her life was brutally killed?

Then had she lived - her surrogate mother is then brutally killed.  That's not going to screw with her head just a tad?

QuoteHow would Golic have f**ked her up at all?

It's hinted in the film that Golic is a child murderer (if not worse).

Plus a child is going to be a prime target for a bunch of murderers and rapists - even ones who've taken a vow of celibacy.

Valaquen

Had she lived or not, bad writing wouldn't have made a difference. It's all speculation really. I'd rather Alien3 used wholly original characters, rather than the series becoming the contrived adventures of the same, worn out ones.

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Jun 03, 2010, 02:23:32 AM
Plus a child is going to be a prime target for a bunch of murderers and rapists - even ones who've taken a vow of celibacy.

If they kept Newt in the infirmary, which they probably would have had she lived, she would have been relatively safe, at least until the alien arrived and killed Clemens.  But then again, Ripley most likely would have used herself as a living shield to protect her and we all know why the alien wouldn't go throught Ripley.  After that event, nobody would be interested in Newt, just on how to survive.  The fact that she had already been through a lot at Hadley's Hope probably would have made her more resilient to mental trauma provided by the prisoners.  Ripley's death...perhaps, another loss that Newt will eventually have to get over.

Tangakkai

Well this is a matter of opinion clearly.
Mine: The Alien Saga should have ended with Cameron's "Aliens". It would have been the ideal ending.

Alien 3 killed 2 characters (Hicks & Newt) right from the start, who had real charisma and potential in them. The Audience learned to really like them in Aliens, if not even love them.

A third Alien movie should have never been set on a planet, where the premise (here Newt & Hicks) would not be suitable.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Regarding the topic question: Yes.
Unless we see her fully-grown as Carrie Henn is now... ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed