Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 681,119 times)

SiL

SiL

I think it uncomfortably resembles the 2003 Texas Chainsaw remake.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think Covenant is a beautiful film, I'm always surprised when someone says otherwise.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think elments of Covenant are pretty nice, but there are some shots that do look booty though. 

Like when the Alien is stalking around the completely bland looking hallways at the end of the movie.  That looked pure 90's SCIFI channel movie. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I do think the last act in general's a mess.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 18, 2020, 01:25:11 AM
I think Covenant is a beautiful film, I'm always surprised when someone says otherwise.

Same. I feel like Covenant was kind of Alien prequel Prometheus should've been - and in terms of visuals too

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 18, 2020, 09:08:11 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 18, 2020, 01:25:11 AM

Same. I feel like Covenant was kind of Alien prequel Prometheus should've been - and in terms of visuals too

You mean with all the tech clearly more advanced than what we saw in Alien despite it being set before ?  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Covenant toned it down a fair bit more. Sure, there were still holograms but in terms of the set design aesthetic, it was more in the right direction with all the knobs and flicks and switches.

I agree though. Covenant felt to me like a do-over. It felt like it had more in line with Spaihts' original Prometheus script and I liked it a lot more for that. It still suffered the same problem with the Alien being shoehorned in at the end though.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, the "proper" Alien and the mini-Alien remake in the third act is far and away the worst part of Covenant. I would have been ok if the Alien had waited until a third film to show up - but I guess now we aren't likely to get that third film.

SM

SM

Nah the stuff on the cargo lift is pretty cool.

Kradan

Kradan

Yes, yes it is ! I love score in that scene

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I love the whole film's score, but in the story, I believe the last act by far the worst part of the film overall with the first being the best.

Kradan

Kradan

I would say middle act with all of David's shenanigans is the best. At least, most original part of the movie

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 18, 2020, 12:16:01 PM
Yeah, the "proper" Alien and the mini-Alien remake in the third act is far and away the worst part of Covenant. I would have been ok if the Alien had waited until a third film to show up - but I guess now we aren't likely to get that third film.

Yeah, that last act just doesn't hold my interest. To me, that act really feels like what I'd imagine an umpteenth Alien sequel would feel like by a lesser director using competent but forgettable actors that don't demand your attention (excluding Fassbender of course). And the evil twin "twist" is what I'd expect from a B movie writer. I don't want to be too harsh. I know it has its fans. It's fine, I guess, for what it is... but not when it's measured up to the older films or Ridley's* previous work overall in my humble opinion.

*edited out a formatting error.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I honestly think it falls off a cliff in quality the minute our faithful Captain Oram chooses to trust David after eliminating the threat, if he and Daniels teamed up against the remaining one on the Cargo Lift, suddenly the finale becomes a much more appealing premise with them finally putting aside their differences to accomplish a goal.

This way during that sequence the behaviour of the antagonist serves a consistent purpose, crawling through engines directly, attacking the glass in the way it does, then charging the crane makes much more sense coming from a Neomorph rather than a Praetomorph and also creates a contrast of depicted intelligence when the title being's born later.

Bypassing the requirement for near instant implantation and near instant incubation if, one of our protagonists becomes infected on the planet earlier, then carries it off world later giving us the pivotal Alien Covenant near the conclusion with the birth of the first one.

Evanus

Evanus

Yeah, I agree for the most part. Overall I think I would've preferred the film only having one Xeno, the one on the Covenant. The way it plays out now with the first one being killed moments after it's born, before another one bursts out of Lope, it kind of loses some impact. Oram surviving longer could've worked pretty well, only downside is you lose the little birthing moment with David. :P

And generally I think the third act would've worked better if was a bit longer, and more horror/suspense focused.. And I'd have liked to see more of Lope, instead of the offscreen death.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed