[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (20%)
I do not like the new face design
73 (48.7%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 142,175 times)

Master

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 14, 2022, 11:19:02 AMLooks pretty damn real to me.
https://64.media.tumblr.com/7f0647392931ec0f4738938b843b7e2e/b6ab87a73a65bfda-69/s540x810/c8300591548f15057c421d938088a9fef001af58.gif
And again has none of the issues of the prior ADI Predators.

The design grown on me. Or better yet, I got used to it. It is definitely menacing, but I do see a Superpredator in it. Different kind of more vicious Predator. It's Superpredator right?

skull-splitter

Quote from: Rex on Aug 14, 2022, 12:48:58 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 14, 2022, 12:10:56 PM
Quote from: Rex on Aug 14, 2022, 11:57:17 AMonly vaguely resembling a Predator.
Big forehead, scaly skin, four mandibles connected with membranous tissue, crazy hungry eyes

it looks plenty like a Predator - whether the look works for your tastes is another question

Don't get me wrong, it's got the features of the Predator's face, but Godzilla 1998 also had Godzilla's dorsal plates, dinosaurian appearance, etc. Bit of an extreme example, but my point remains
I absolutely loved the Godzilla 1998 design because it tried something different. IMO, the super predators mainly were poorly lit and they made the mistake of having extremely cut up stylised faces in that one, or at least Mr Black... the sculpt and the paint job is absolutely beautiful.

The ADI predators are a mixed bag IMO. They are true to brief, there is serious craftsmanship in them that I recognise. I mostly don't agree with some of the rationale of the brief.

Feral is really growing on me, as a different look. It's not replacing any previous entry, nor does it have to be.

I'd like to see more diversity, preferably in a single film to cement said diversity as plausible.

Seedkiller

This situation reminds me a whole lot like the two newer teenage mutant ninja turtle movies. The design just threw me off, and I never really grabbed back on.
Just a few little tweaks and they could've had a design that was both new and representative of the older designs. But in both cases of the turtles and the feral, they just went too far.
I'm really trying to like something about it, but when people are constantly saying "I like it with his mask on", you know something is off.
Typical modern movies these days. Always pushing too far. So far to the point I feel as if I'm watching one of those sub par movies you see like transmorphers (fake transformers) that come out and run parallel straight to video with real transformers movie in the theatres.
Not to say that prey ended up being a sub par film, but I can't really shake that idea as far as the design goes. Maybe something called "the predatory hunter" haha
Not trying to rattle anybodys cage about their opinions. Just my two cents

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 12, 2022, 08:28:54 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 12, 2022, 04:59:32 AMBut according to Andrew Gaska, who looked at the Alien/Predator Bible when he was working on the Alien RPG book, according to Fox, who at the time owned the rights... they were different licenses with their own separate continuities.

Just an FYI but he also wrote the Predator bible. I assisted with it as well.

Is that why Predator 1718 wasn't in there? I also heard that Dan mentioned that it wasn't meaty as he thought it would be when he got the Predator Bible. Real shame cuz he wanted to work with more when he gotten the resource to help with the film.

Corporal Hicks

The Bible is for the EU, not the film universe. I've not seen Dan talk about seeing the bible - can you share?

pmaz11

pmaz11

Quote from: Master on Aug 14, 2022, 12:52:47 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 14, 2022, 11:19:02 AMLooks pretty damn real to me.
https://64.media.tumblr.com/7f0647392931ec0f4738938b843b7e2e/b6ab87a73a65bfda-69/s540x810/c8300591548f15057c421d938088a9fef001af58.gif

The design grown on me. Or better yet, I got used to it. It is definitely menacing, but I do see a Superpredator in it. Different kind of more vicious Predator. It's Superpredator right?

*First, I really don't like the shot/look of the Predator here...The top mandibles in this gif/link above look off and seem like they are way too wide around the cheeks?/compared to other shots & :-\  An example of how the CGI enhancements don't really add or give it any better feel I think.

However, still agree the design has looked better in some shots & especially in the behind the scenes footage we've seen online!

I honestly do want to add this Predator into the Super Predator category (why he's a lot more ripped too? haha) and/or go with the different hemisphere explanation. Gives enough reason for the different characteristics we're seeing physically, while still getting a lot of good stuff I think.

Just wanted to re-share this Instagram BTS gif/url link below (last post in the slides) & 1 screenshot image of it. I particularly am a fan of this practical animatronics look below. Especially if you notice the Predator's eyes. They have motion & a nice design, which is awesome since the actor's head was in the neck of the suit & eye contacts weren't used in this case. 8)

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChOQ-vNrDEh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 14, 2022, 05:49:17 PMThe Bible is for the EU, not the film universe. I've not seen Dan talk about seeing the bible - can you share?

Not sure which videos I shot these snaps from, but they may be referring to these comments.

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login. 

The Shuriken

Quote from: pmaz11 on Aug 14, 2022, 05:55:11 PM

*First, I really don't like the shot/look of the Predator here...The top mandibles in this gif/link above look off and seem like they are way too wide around the cheeks?/compared to other shots & :-\  An example of how the CGI enhancements don't really add or give it any better feel I think.

However, still agree the design has looked better in some shots & especially in the behind the scenes footage we've seen online!

I honestly do want to add this Predator into the Super Predator category (why he's a lot more ripped too? haha) and/or go with the different hemisphere explanation. Gives enough reason for the different characteristics we're seeing physically, while still getting a lot of good stuff I think.

Just wanted to re-share this Instagram BTS gif/url link below (last post in the slides) & 1 screenshot image of it. I particularly am a fan of this practical animatronics look below. Especially if you notice the Predator's eyes. They have motion & a nice design, which is awesome since the actor's head was in the neck of the suit & eye contacts weren't used in this case. 8)

https://iili.io/gH5Qxp.jpg

Aha! Now I see what Feral keeps reminding me of.

The Kessler Werewolf from American Werewolf in London! It's those eyes.

goose_3387

Did they use different sets of hands throughout the film? In the scene where Feral touches and smells the ash (close up shot), the fingers look much better than in other shots.

Lionhart

Quote from: pmaz11 on Aug 14, 2022, 05:55:11 PM

https://iili.io/gH5Qxp.jpg
that's one ugly predator. It's more of a creature than a predator 😏

Kailem

Quote from: goose_3387 on Aug 14, 2022, 06:49:06 PMDid they use different sets of hands throughout the film? In the scene where Feral touches and smells the ash (close up shot), the fingers look much better than in other shots.

I wouldn't be shocked if those were CG, just because, as you said, they look a lot thinner in that shot than in some of the others we see them in.

bobby brown

bobby brown

I wasn't crazy about the face at first sight, But seeing the practical head I quite like it.
Maybe it's the CGI render that was off?

I really dig him in these shots. Looks like a cross of a Lion and an Ant.

Kradan

Really wish they'd went more practical with this one. I like that face much more in BTS pics

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

It's definitely the eye placement and bulbous forehead that's throwing me off.

I wonder how a more 'normal' Predator would look with the 'head in neck' approach?

Mike’s Monsters

I'm finding that I actually dig the practical face a lot more. Need more time with it, but almost wish they'd gone less with the cgi face and added minor cgi elements to the practical head. It's been growing on me, but some angles I know I already love. Just not all around love.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed