[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (20%)
I do not like the new face design
73 (48.7%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 142,355 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I think I put it slightly above Mr. Black for now, but then again, I'll rewatch it later this evening.

marrerom

I think people forget that in The Predator we get an explanation for why predators vary in appearance. They literally splice and mess with their DNA in order to adapt and make themselves better hunters. So of course you are going to have some weird looking ones.

BlueMarsalis79

Oh nooooooooo

olapaulakoski

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 08:15:14 AMIn the original film the mouth doesn't open as wide, so the latex doesn't need to stretch as much. From AvP onwards they wanted really wide open mandibles so either you  stretch the material or need extra to accommodate.

Well sure.. but how come in Predators we have classic predator from the same mold as the original 1987 predator has the flappy cheek flesh. It could be the opposite that they use to much latex and mold it with the mouth open and when it closes it gets flappy. I think to achieve the same effect as Stan Winston did they need to try different materials, like i said rubber could maybe work better as a material that can stretch but keeps it naturally stiff.

CANNON

CANNON

Quote from: goose_3387 on Aug 06, 2022, 06:08:28 AM
Quote from: CANNON on Aug 06, 2022, 04:07:20 AMI think the main concern should be with the design of Ferel's face..

why do they need to do Stan Winston a disservice and disrespect him by changing his design.

why did they need to change the face!?... it takes all validity away. The design change was to extreme to brush off.

It's unfortunate I'll never see another predator movie with predator in it.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to keep changing the facial structure. It's disrespectful to what Stans team achieved.
Exactly right, if the intent is to deliberately change the predators face to such an drastic extreme as they did than that is disrespectful to Winston's original design. (Which has defined predator since 87')

Not only that, as I was saying before, the drastic change for me made this feel less like a predator and more like a new alien in its own movie rather than a new take on predator.
For me the new design was distracting and just plain bad.
It literally looked like an Elite from HALO, not Predator. Different species or from a different hemisphere of predator home planet, will never convince me that this new drastically different face is predator. Unfortunately for a good movie, they have failed on this front.

It is unfortunate that with all this movies success, we will never see another predator movie with predator in it again..

426Buddy

Totally felt like a predator to me, just didn't like the face.

Was more predator-like than mister black.

Nightmare Asylum

Watched the movie a second time this morning (Comanche dub this time around) and honestly, I'm still all in on the face. Maybe even more so this time around. Fits this sadistic jackass of a Predator to a tee. Feral, indeed.

CANNON

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 06, 2022, 01:45:48 PMWatched the movie a second time this morning (Comanche dub this time around) and honestly, I'm still all in on the face. Maybe even more so this time around. Fits this sadistic jackass of a Predator to a tee. Feral, indeed.

Listen maybe I'm the one who is looking at this all wrong here. But I'm not judging this predator's personality or hunting habits or movements or body design. Strictly the face. It just doesn't look anything remotely close to a predator as I have been introduced to by Winston and Mctiernan.
 It is so far drastically different that to me that it feels as if it is a new alien all together. This isn't a comparison to Mr. Black which was another bad design change. I am going by Stan Winstons design, being that is the true Predator design.

This is a picture of Ferel and an alien Elite from Halo. Which to me is closer to this design in comparison.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Highland on Aug 06, 2022, 11:20:42 AMI think it's probably on par with Predators. It's not as good as P1/P2 or Wolf, but I think I prefer it to The Predators rubber.

How about puppy-eyed Scar?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: CANNON on Aug 06, 2022, 01:56:12 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 06, 2022, 01:45:48 PMWatched the movie a second time this morning (Comanche dub this time around) and honestly, I'm still all in on the face. Maybe even more so this time around. Fits this sadistic jackass of a Predator to a tee. Feral, indeed.

Listen maybe I'm the one who is looking at this all wrong here. But I'm not judging this predator's personality or hunting habits or movements or body design. Strictly the face. It just doesn't look anything remotely close to a predator as I have been introduced to by Winston and Mctiernan.
 It is so far drastically different that to me that it feels as if it is a new alien all together. This isn't a comparison to Mr. Black which was another bad design change. I am going by Stan Winstons design, being that is the true Predator design.

This is a picture of Ferel and an alien Elite from Halo. Which to me is closer to this design in comparison.

Eh. It has the mandibles, the dreads, and the other fixtures, but executed in a new way; it feels like another individual from the species to me. Explain it away as coming from a different part of the planet or whatever, the nitty gritty of why it looks exactly the way it does (in-universe) really doesn't matter much to me. I dig the look, it fits this guy's personality, and that's... it, really. I'd honestly say that it is ADI's best work on a Predator by far. I'd much rather see something taking the core elements of the design and doing them in a new way like this, than something trying to go for the classic style and missing the mark on the execution like, say, AVP's Predators.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: happypred on Aug 06, 2022, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 06, 2022, 11:20:42 AMI think it's probably on par with Predators. It's not as good as P1/P2 or Wolf, but I think I prefer it to The Predators rubber.

How about puppy-eyed Scar?

Let's face it Scar was a disaster.

The thing here is you can't really pinpoint things and say "this looks shit compared too...." Because it's literally a different face altogether.

Like I said pre release, I don't mind different if it's done well and I think they achieved that here.

I wasn't looking at Feral thinking ( like I usually do) "this is just another shit attempt at P1 and looks like a rubber prop with janky Mandibles"

I kinda just rolled with this one.

happypred

Quote from: Highland on Aug 06, 2022, 02:13:29 PMLike I said pre release, I don't mind different if it's done well and I think they achieved that here.

I wasn't looking at Feral thinking ( like I usually do) "this is just another shit attempt at P1 and looks like a rubber prop with janky Mandibles"

Feral could be the Yautja equivalent of horse-faced Lovecraft

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

The thing about Feral that makes him acceptable is that he isn't meant to be a "superior" (Like Berserkers and Assassin) or the same version (Scar, Fugitive) as Jungle Hunter, he is his own separate thing

Quote from: happypred on Aug 06, 2022, 02:17:03 PM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 06, 2022, 02:13:29 PMLike I said pre release, I don't mind different if it's done well and I think they achieved that here.

Feral could be the Yautja equivalent of horse-faced Lovecraft
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/H._P._Lovecraft%2C_June_1934.jpg

happypred

Feral's face aint that wonky

Still say he is Yautja Lovecraft

BlueMarsalis79

I have to echo the sentiment that it looks more like one of these guys than a Predator to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed