A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 35,369 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 30, 2016, 08:53:03 PMIn this case, I say God bless corporate meddling.

I wouldn't go that far... :P I don't think studio meddling has ever benefited a film.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 30, 2016, 08:54:41 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 30, 2016, 08:53:03 PMIn this case, I say God bless corporate meddling.

I wouldn't go that far... :P I don't think studio meddling has ever benefited a film.

True, maybe this is one of the rare occasions where it might.  :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 30, 2016, 09:00:29 PM

No, Huda is right.  Let them make Blomkamp's film as he sees it.  It's the right thing to do.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:30:32 PM

P.S. Alien 5... I say we take off and nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...

No, Huda is right.  Let them make Blomkamp's film as he sees it.  It's the right thing to do.

I agree, Huda is most definitely right especially with his last point, I don't know how I missed it on my first read.  :P  :laugh:  ;D

All jokes aside, I know that studio meddling does mostly bring harm... mostly...

Kurai

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:30:32 PM

The right thing to do would be for Fox to take Disney's example and make a Story Group for the Aliens franchise like they did with Star Wars to insure that all their properties actually make sense. Have a guy who would have picked up the script and be like "Ummm... Hey Mr Fincher, about this egg on the Sulaco... Did you think it through?" or "Mr Blomkamp, your script includes characters that are dead, please have a look at our "holocron" and get your facts straight."

And yeah, some directors will be like "Well f**k you Fox!", they want to make their own vision of a film. That's all fine and dandy, but you're working with a franchise. Yeah, your vision might be great, but it might also be Super Mario Bros the movie or Batman vs Superman. Canon exists for a reason.

Perfect-Organism

In general, I agree that there should be a canonmaster who guides the franchise so that everything is consistent, but I'd also be up for having some alternate stories told.  Also, if we are too rigorous with what the stories are, then some star directors will pass on the opportunity to do a film.  Because of AVP, we didn't get Cameron / Scott coming back together to the franchise.  Those boys had a vision, and who could really tell them that they are wrong?

A Canonmaster should also be cognizant of where the series took a wrong turn, and if possible, fix it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 10:17:03 PMA Canonmaster should also be cognizant of where the series took a wrong turn, and if possible, fix it.

Or alternatively, he could stop dwelling in the past just get on with making the franchise better going forwards.

Kurai

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 10:17:03 PM
but I'd also be up for having some alternate stories told.

And that's what we have Dark Horse for.  :D
Really, try reading Fire and Stone and Life to Death back to back. Individually they may be flawed but they make a brilliant whole. :D
Then don't get me started on Defiance, we need more Isolation inspired stuff.
All of those don't include Ripley, Hicks or Newt at all, heck Fire and Stone is pretty much an Aliens sequel itself.

Also, if we are too rigorous with what the stories are, then some star directors will pass on the opportunity to do a film.  Because of AVP, we didn't get Cameron / Scott coming back together to the franchise.  Those boys had a vision, and who could really tell them that they are wrong?

This is a thing I personally view as a fallacy, but I'm also a comic book fan so it probably stems from that. New blood can lead to something terrible or something great but old blood can't keep a franchise afloat forever.

A Canonmaster should also be cognizant of where the series took a wrong turn, and if possible, fix it.

Eh, when something is canon, retcons just do more damage than good without full reboot from the start, this can be seen in NUMEROUS franchises, look at DC for example, or the Marvel comics for that matter. Individual stories in Marvel comics can be great but the convolutedness of the canon and all the retcons and the little boy overlord puppetmaster explanation and ugh....
Rather than fix problems, the canon workgroup's purpose should be to avoid continuity snarls in the first place.

Xenomorphine

If Fox thinks there's money to be made out of a proposition, they'll retcon anything. They're as financially opportunistic as any other major company (and, really, are perfectly within their rights to be).

Heck, just look at the new 'Predator' novel synopsis...

BishopShouldGo

Well, a dispensable novel is different. That's not either franchises primary form. The compendium of video games, novels and comics are minutiae.

But Fox would still have no problem retconning A3 and A4. Ripley's back, "From the Director of District 9", a hot young A-lister in the Newt role, building off the two beloved entries? Are you kidding me? Gangbusters.

Similar reasons as to why Alien: Covenant will do so well. The trailers are going to sell it for what it is: the return of the classic Alien life cycle, "From the Director of Alien and The Martian", beloved David character returning x2, using the Alien name. Gangbusters. Fox's lofty investment will be rewarded I feel, despite the movie being called "dark", "bleak" and "macabre" by the cast and crew.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 30, 2016, 11:30:36 PM
Well, a dispensable novel is different. That's not either franchises primary form. The compendium of video games, novels and comics are minutiae.

But Fox would still have no problem retconning A3 and A4. Ripley's back, "From the Director of District 9", a hot young A-lister in the Newt role, building off the two beloved entries? Are you kidding me? Gangbusters.

Similar reasons as to why Alien: Covenant will do so well. The trailers are going to sell it for what it is: the return of the classic Alien life cycle, "From the Director of Alien and The Martian", beloved David character returning x2, using the Alien name. Gangbusters. Fox's lofty investment will be rewarded I feel, despite the movie being called "dark", "bleak" and "macabre" by the cast and crew.

You get it man!  High 5!  Blomkamp's Aliens sequel will do wonders for the series.

Kurai

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 11:34:48 PM
You get it man!  High 5!  Blomkamp's Aliens sequel will do wonders for the series.

It actually amazes me how different people see things differently. I was just chuckling to myself thinking he was talking sarcastically about the shallow nature of modern cinema.  :P

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 11:34:48 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 30, 2016, 11:30:36 PM

Absolutely. He has a lot to offer this universe. His concept art for WY headquarters and Ripley's xeno suit in particular have me excited.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Don't get me wrong - I do like Blomkapf's conceptual art and visual ideas and designs. That stuff looks very promising indeed. It's the story concept and premise of the movie that falls really short. It's a great piece of fanon materiel and would make up for a decent Aliens comic, but as a movie - no way.

As it looks right now I think there will be some major changes, especially since A:C (Alien: Covenant) and it's sequel will throw a bunch of new restrictions and limitations for Blomkapf to work with.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 31, 2016, 02:51:44 AM
Don't get me wrong - I do like Blomkapf's conceptual art and visual ideas and designs. That stuff looks very promising indeed. It's the story concept and premise of the movie that falls really short. It's a great piece of fanon materiel and would make up for a decent Aliens comic, but as a movie - no way.

As it looks right now I think there will be some major changes, especially since A:C (Alien: Covenant) and it's sequel will throw a bunch of new restrictions and limitations for Blomkapf to work with.

OMG! This gave me a good chuckle...

It was one letter away from "Blomkampf"...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree, there were some very interesting stuff in the concept art. I love the look of that Marine in a more armoured suit, he had a really cool looking helmet on. Also that mutated dude on a wall. Plus this monolith like structure and that Derelict in a W-Y warehouse. Some very nice artwork.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed