Shogun (FX)

Started by ace3g, Dec 11, 2020, 12:33:01 AM

Author
Shogun (FX) (Read 4,139 times)

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Netflix almost have a monopoly on its shows in the no.1 streaming rating spot week after week, so its a pleasant surprise to see Hulu one-up Netflix with Shogun being the no.1 streaming show in ratings in week 2 and week 3 (episode 3 and 4):

Week 2:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/shogun-bonafide-breakout-streaming-hit-213000180.html

Week 3:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/03/17/hulus-shogun-is-still-crushing-netflix-in-viewership-a-true-rarity-in-streaming/?sh=4fda246c93ef

Episode 5 new preview clip:

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Just finished watching episode 5 of Shogun. Here Blackthorne learns a very painful lesson that his words as a hatamoto has very literal life and death consequences. We also get the full revelation of Mariko's background, specifically her painful family history and why she was willing to follow Toranaga. Fuji as the unwilling consort also comes to her own, deftly balancing household management and Blackthorne's ignorant commands. We also see how Toranaga seem to be outplaying his untrustworthy vassal Yabu at every turn. And the appearance of Lady Ochiba at the end of the episode reveals herself as another villain in the show, someone possibily more dangerous than Ishido to Toranaga? She does remind me of Cersei from Game of Thrones, that's for certain.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Shogun Episode 6 preview:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Watched episode five today after not being able to watch it yesterday. Another really good episode. So much immediate menace in
Spoiler
Lady Ochiba's arrival at the end.
[close]

Also really loved
Spoiler
the detail about Fuji's father's swords that were given to Blackthorne but really never belonged to her father in the first place, and how they then take on new, reinvigorated meaning yet again when they are given to Toranaga by Blackthrone.
[close]

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 21, 2024, 12:56:29 AMWatched episode five today after not being able to watch it yesterday. Another really good episode. So much immediate menace in
Spoiler
Lady Ochiba's arrival at the end.
[close]

Also really loved
Spoiler
the detail about Kiku's father's swords that were given to Blackthorne but really never belonged to her father in the first place, and how they then take on new, reinvigorated meaning yet again when they are given to Toranaga by Blackthrone.
[close]

I should add, in case anyone wants to know, "tatarigami"  as mentioned in the episode refers to an evil demon that curses people. The villagers suspect Blackthorne brought that curse on them.

Immortan Jonesy

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

As for episode 6 of Shogun, after episodes of gory violence...things quiet down a bit to focus on the women in the show. Usually I am not too keen on shows or episodes concentratring on women talk or "exploring women's inner lives etc", but in the Shogun context, I paid attention, because the story on Mariko and Lady Ochiba in this episode directly foreshadows major plot points in the story. What those plot developments are and what the fates of Mariko and Ochiba will be, I can't say of course (I don't want to spoil for those who haven't read the book), but I did notice they changed slightly the reason for Mariko marrying Buntaro, which the book gave a different reason.

I do like the fact Kiku was able in a way to become the "avatar" of Mariko, to express the feelings and connection between Blackthorne and Mariko when they cannot directly divluge their feelings to each other...yet. This episode explores why Ochiba became this villainous and manipulative Cersei Lannister-type character from Game of Thrones and especially how she seem to turn her initial powerlessness to later wanting "to spit at fate". George RR Martin is rumored to based Cersei on Ochiba, so you can think of Ochiba as a sort of "prototype" Cersei.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Jarvis acting and the way he moves sometimes take me out of the experience, feels so forced and kinda weird and it's getting worse with each episode...in addition there still is 0 chemistry between him and Anna Sawai (awesome acting btw), no way they should end up feeling attracted to each other. Maybe he is just standing out, since the rest of the show is too good. I'm curious if that's just the way he acts or what he was told to do.

Whatever, seems to be my personal problem I have to live with. Would love to see him in a Tom Hardy style role/movie though. Wondering 'bout quite a few complains about the subtitles on social media, I think it's an advantage...for me that beautiful native language just adds up to the setting and feels natural.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just caught yesterday's episode, loved it. The scene with Mariko "translating" Kiku for Blackthorne might just be my favorite scene in the show to date. Loved everything about that scene, especially once
Spoiler
Kiku moved to the other side of Mariko and when Mariko started literally translating using the word "I' instead of "she"/"Kiku".
[close]

A lot of complex intersecting backstory woven through this episode's flashbacks, too, which I think will really come together and make a rewatch play incredibly well.

ace3g

ace3g

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Episode 6
Spoiler
The Shogun rises! Osaka shall fall!
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Oh my God today's episode. :o

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2024, 10:36:48 PMOh my God today's episode. :o

It already dropped on Hulu?! :o

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

That episode was soooo good. Top notch acting, cinematography, costumes...

Spoiler
... and Red Wedding vibe!
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed