If gearbox was afforded more time could CM been a better game?

Started by unheardCARNAGE, Jan 27, 2024, 09:20:30 AM

Author
If gearbox was afforded more time could CM been a better game? (Read 700 times)

unheardCARNAGE

Played through the story several times now and mopping up the last achievements, but wow what a strange mix this game turned out to be. On the surface it seems so fine enough, graphics are decent and the game surprisingly doesn't have any major soft locks, but on closer inspection this game is just barely held together at the seams.

Its hard to comprehend how much each party had riding on this, and it still turned out this way.

This game really made me wonder if a couple extra years of development would have even helped, but I strongly believe this is as good as it was gonna get. The writing is subpar and it seemed like one developer had the passion and the other expertise, but neither of them both. This project really should have been restarted with another developer and writer after Sega initially pulled the plug.

Overall I still had fun with it, but similar to some of the films in the series its more fun speculating at what might have been than talking about what is.

Do you think gearbox could have really polished it up to be a bigger hit like Borderlands with some more time?
Why was Timegate snubbed so hard that their logo isn't even on the jewel case of the game?
Was the lawsuit against Sega justified?
Does anyone want to assist me in cleaning up the multiplayer challenges? :P

SM

More time wouldn't have fixed the appalling writing.

[cancerblack]

They already had six years development on it. More time would have probably made it even worse.

gold

gold

Most people hate this game because it's the bandwagon.

The TemplarGFx 6.2 mod makes it an entirely different game. The lighting, gameplay, AI, shadows, addition of explosive ammunition, etc. The game on PC looks better than modern games now.

The best part about the game is the script. But you'd have to be a real Aliens fan who was disappointed in 1993 to appreciate it.

Just hearing Hicks talk about Fiorina 161 and Ripley is just magic.

There will be people who are negative and do their best to stop people enjoying themselves with what they feel like, but these negative outlook people exist all over the place.

I'm just glad we got this awesome game, awesome script by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle that linked Aliens, ACMTM and the comics all together. It really was the perfect sequel to Aliens for everyone who was disappointed as a kid with A3.

BlueMarsalis79

I loathe it, independent from everyone else who dislikes it because I see no redeeming qualities in it whatsoever, it is wretched.

An immorally produced and sycophantic mess.

It even gets the Derelict layout all confused, the crew of the Nostromo encountered the cargo hold after the Pilot not before, and the cargo hold exists directly underneath the Pilot not f**king adjacent to it.

Even when doing "fanservice" it is pathetically incorrect and totally misunderstood the film at nearly every turn, I only feel sympathy for the multitudes of Studios forced to put something together from the nightmare Gearbox Software created, and particularly anyone unlucky enough to have this on their curriculum vitae.

Kradan

Ok, everyone who was dissapointed with A3 and loved this game raise your hand and shout "OORAH TO ASHES"

Why's nobody shouting ?

Thatguy2068

All right for real, I get the disappointment with Hicks and Newt being killed offscreen, that is a really bad decision to make and I agree with that. But you can't just recon it out, It's only gonna make the main storyline worse and Confusing. it's like trying to prevent a car crash through time travel With butterfly effect, You might end up stopping a car From crashing, but the end result could be a train wreck. There's some stuff I like about alien CM, I like some of the new alien variant, crusher is probably the most plausible one, but in all I really enjoyed all of them.  But Alien 3 also has some good stuff, even though there were some flaws within the films, It's still a Decent film.
I can't say much too on both,since I haven't played or watched both in like years.

The Cruentus

While the constant dev changes didn't help, nor the budget being siphoned away for borderlands, I am not sure more time would have helped, especially with Pritchard in charge.

I'm sure there is plenty of decent folk at gearbox, but they weren't the one steering the ship so to speak.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: gold on Apr 19, 2024, 12:54:56 PMMost people hate this game because it's the bandwagon.

The TemplarGFx 6.2 mod makes it an entirely different game. The lighting, gameplay, AI, shadows, addition of explosive ammunition, etc. The game on PC looks better than modern games now.

The best part about the game is the script. But you'd have to be a real Aliens fan who was disappointed in 1993 to appreciate it.

There will be people who are negative and do their best to stop people enjoying themselves with what they feel like, but these negative outlook people exist all over the place.

I'm just glad we got this awesome game, awesome script by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle that linked Aliens, ACMTM and the comics all together. It really was the perfect sequel to Aliens for everyone who was disappointed as a kid with A3.

What an absolutely abhorrent post.

I need to be clear, I don't hate the game, because I could see the writing on the wall well before it came out and adjusted my expectations accordingly. I do actually like some of the design work.

High praise for it seems absurd, but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But coupled with accusing people of lacking their own opinions and invoking the True Fan stuff, that's some bullshit, bro.

Local Trouble

Quote from: gold on Apr 19, 2024, 12:54:56 PMMost people hate this game because it's the bandwagon.

You forgot to mention Randy. >:(

Kradan

Will you demand an apology ?

gold

gold

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 19, 2024, 05:48:24 PM

I need to be clear, I don't hate the game, because I could see the writing on the wall well before it came out and adjusted my expectations accordingly. I do actually like some of the design work.

High praise for it seems absurd, but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But coupled with accusing people of lacking their own opinions and invoking the True Fan stuff, that's some bullshit, bro.

I don't care what you think. I can invoke "true fan" just as I like, because I said "true fan" of Aliens, not the Alien franchise. Everyone who saw A3 hated it in 1992 because of Hicks and Newt. I spoke to a great many of them in 1992. No one liked that movie (who had loved Aliens). To be clear, I can appreciate A3 (assembly cut) as a stand alone film, but NEVER as a sequel to Aliens. I'm of the Blomkamp opinion that it was a dream.

You obviously haven't tried A:CM on a pc with Templar 6.2. The (Syd Mead and Lorin Wood designed) concepts, graphics, shadowmaps, and lighting look better than Fireteam and I think the story is brilliant. The story is EXACTLY what I wanted since 1986 after having seen Aliens and being disappointed in 1992.

It's as if it was written in 1993, it played it safe by not deleting A3 (there are some people who like that film), yet bringing back Hicks. For all I care they could have gone completely WG and deleted A3 entirely. I (and a WHOLE BUNCH of people) hate A3. Including a certain Neil Blomkamp. I'm with him. Not Ridley: "oh an angry Earth robot created the xenomorph, here's another movie with yet another bunch of people getting eaten... sorry if you wanted lore and a good surprising mystery".

But they left it in to play nice with the canon. The ambiguous corpo black ops threads of the ACMTM is perfectly continued in Thompson and Weddle's script in A:CM.

I really don't care what you think. Some people like A:CM Templar 6.2 and there is nothing you can say to get us to feel the hatred you feel.

No matter how "abhorrent" others people's opinions may be to you.

Local Trouble

Thatguy2068

Quote from: gold on Apr 19, 2024, 11:19:02 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 19, 2024, 05:48:24 PM

I don't care what you think. I can invoke "true fan" just as I like, because I said "true fan" of Aliens, not the Alien franchise. Everyone who saw A3 hated it in 1992 because of Hicks and Newt. I spoke to a great many of them in 1992. No one liked that movie (who had loved Aliens). To be clear, I can appreciate A3 (assembly cut) as a stand alone film, but NEVER as a sequel to Aliens. I'm of the Blomkamp opinion that it was a dream.
The term "Real-fan" is still a Shitty term to use, It just makes you sound elitist.
QuoteYou obviously haven't tried A:CM on a pc with Templar 6.2. The (Syd Mead and Lorin Wood designed) concepts, graphics, shadowmaps, and lighting look better than Fireteam
Most of us has played the game on Xbox or other consoles many of us don't have PC including me. We are talking about the base game when it was released. Not modified by moders on the Internet. If that were the case, then fallout 76 would've been a masterpiece.

Local Trouble

Quote from: gold on Apr 19, 2024, 11:19:02 PMI (and a WHOLE BUNCH of people) hate A3.

But what do you have against A3 though?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed