The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 190,154 times)

Gilfryd

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I see Daleks went into a nether realm.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 16, 2015, 06:33:43 PM
I see Daleks went into a nether realm.

Well the Old Ones of the Ctuhulu Mythos are part of the Whoniverse if you follow the Doctor Who Virgin New Adventure books lol

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Seriously?

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Are there more anthologies out there with stories about the old old ones returning and the aftermath of it, beside of Cthulhu's Reign by Darrell Schweitzer?

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 16, 2015, 09:05:20 PM
Seriously?

Yep. Enemies like The Great Intelligence and The Animus (There are a load of others too) have been named as certain Old Ones. Cthulhu even appears in the novel White Darkness

Took his off Wikipedia in regards to the Old ones appearing in the Virgin New Adventure:

Another group of adversaries who appear in several New and Missing Adventures are the Great Old Ones, derived from H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. In the New Adventures, these beings are survivors of the universe before this one, who therefore exist in accordance with a different set of physical laws. A being calling itself Azathoth in All-Consuming Fire turns out to be an impostor, but the novel identifies several other Doctor Who monsters with Lovecraftian entities: the Great Intelligence is Yog-Sothoth, the Animus is Lloigor, Fenric is Hastur the Unspeakable, and an Old One encountered in White Darkness is Cthulhu.

quijju

quijju

Quote from: Alienseseses on Aug 28, 2015, 04:45:42 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/08/hp-lovecraft-125/401471/
I certainly wasn't going to read the whole thing so correct me if I am wrong but it seems like more typical mental libtardation hating bigotry only from the usual straight white males. Was Lovecraft bigoted? Obviously, but that doesn't diminish the genius he possessed in his unique and vast universe. Considering he is a fictional writer, I don't see how his personal beliefs should be a factor in judging the works themselves even if there are certain undertones. If you look at the big picture, why should I hate awesome beings like Cthulhu, Shoggoths, Yith, and Polyps just to name a few, just because of the author's unrelated personal beliefs. You can like a fictional author's writings while totally opposing their personal beliefs.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Is anyone here a fan of Clark Ashton Smith?  He was a contemporary of Lovecraft and was highly inspired by him; even wrote a poem in his honor.  Alot of his stories take place in Lovecraft's universe, and he even mentions some of the deities.  He also has some stuff set in Conan's Hyperborea, though not actually featuring Conan himself.  The collection Return of the Sorcerer collects some of his best work.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Some awesome fan art pages from the Necronomicon:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/Cthulhu+larp+necronomicon/funny-pictures/5459180

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Dec 02, 2015, 02:33:30 AM
Some awesome fan art pages from the Necronomicon:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/Cthulhu+larp+necronomicon/funny-pictures/5459180

Pretty cool, not far off from the Evil Dead Necronomicon's illustration style.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I am digging though. They look great. I love that kind of approach.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

From del Toro's Treehouse of Horror opening - Cthulhu sketches by Guy Davis

http://guydavisart.tumblr.com/post/134337523972/the-cameo-of-cthulhu

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Hahahaha the Zoidburg one was perfect lol :laugh:

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 03, 2015, 12:55:58 PM

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Dec 04, 2015, 03:33:08 AM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 03, 2015, 12:55:58 PM

Now thats the film Del Toro should make lmao

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed