The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 190,150 times)

has anyone seen the documentary Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown?

TheMonolith

Quote from: Kol on Mar 21, 2012, 04:19:36 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljnbk0MHhY1qj3e56o1_500.jpg

cthulhu and it's kingdom of infinite space.
this pic is so intimidating.
Looks like a really great 70s film poster. I do kind of agree with SM. There should have been at least one recognizable object to give Cthulhu some scale.

Quote from: AvatarIII on Mar 23, 2012, 11:29:35 AM
No, but I'll have to check that out.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No I haven't, and the title alone fills me with interest. Any place I can find it?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's probably online somewhere.

I saw it on amazon, but it hadn't got many reviews so I thought I'd ask here before buying it, it has interviews with guillermo del toro and john carpenter, and it's 90 minutes long and has over 90 minutes of special features including extended interviews.

Also, my copy of HP Lovecraft anthology volume 2 graphic novel arrived today, it's awesome!

Eva

Eva

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 23, 2012, 02:42:09 PM

Is it this one?
(PS: if posting this link is a violation of forum rules, mods feel free to modify my post)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8PIeFN05rI#ws

Cvalda

Cvalda

I've seen it. It's a good doc, especially for someone new to Lovecraft. Has interviews with Guillermo Del Toro and John Carpenter, etc.

Quote from: Eva on Mar 23, 2012, 06:36:48 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 23, 2012, 02:42:09 PM

Is it this one?
(PS: if posting this link is a violation of forum rules, mods feel free to modify my post)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8PIeFN05rI#ws

That's the ticket! I think if youtube allows it it should be allowed here, but I'm not 100% sure.

SM

SM

Yep.  Del Toro's comparisons of Alien and ATMOM were very enlightening.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Thanks for the link. I'm downloading it now and watch it later this weekend.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Has anyone seen O'Bannon's two straight Lovecraft adaptations, The Resurrected and Bleeders? I understand that in the case of the former, O'Bannon's original cut is lost forever. I hear mixed things. Bleeders is supposed to be awful, and looks it. :P

Eva

Eva

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 23, 2012, 10:07:54 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm downloading it now and watch it later this weekend.

You're welcome and I'm looking forward to watch it too  :)

@Cvalda - no, never heard of them. But I'll bet a lot of the users here have enjoyed the... 'artistic qualities' of Lifeforce lol  :laugh:

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Eva on Mar 24, 2012, 12:28:30 AM
@Cvalda - no, never heard of them. But I'll bet a lot of the users here have enjoyed the... 'artistic qualities' of Lifeforce lol  :laugh:
Indeed. I'm surprised it doesn't have its own thread, consisting entirely of screenshots of only one of the cast members. :P

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 24, 2012, 12:14:39 AM
Has anyone seen O'Bannon's two straight Lovecraft adaptations, The Resurrected and Bleeders? I understand that in the case of the former, O'Bannon's original cut is lost forever. I hear mixed things. Bleeders is supposed to be awful, and looks it. :P

I thought The Resurrected was a decent movie, given the budget. It more or less followed the story it was based on, with a few changes here and there. The final act was pretty effective and scary, IMO. The acting was pretty bad, except for Chris Sarandon.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Considering the wide expanse of the Cthulhu Mythos in modern culture, what are the personal Lovecraft canons of this board's users? I myself only consider Lovecraft's actual writings to be "canon mythos," if there even can be such a thing. I consider the works of other writers using the same universe (Derleth, Gaiman, etc) to be merely glorified fan fiction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed